FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Log-in on the Home page

I am experiencing problems with the log-in on the main home page. Instead of, as formerly, being allowed immediate access to the site (Forum etc) , I am now requested to log-in and add the password almost every time.

Any suggestions how to correct this?

S>P> :029:

There are two login forms - one automatically appears on the main site page on the left hand side and had a box from which you can select "forever" which should keep you logged on. The other login form (accessed from clicking on "login") has a check box to stay logged in.

Ulp--no pint confirmation yet, Johnboy.

Tried to log-in today and was haughtily informed that I was a GUEST (what a dirty word---ugh!).That despite the "FOREVER" undying promise of entry bliss.

Like a marriage --it's supposed to be forever too but at least 50% in Canada end up going in divorce. It might be assumed that at least another 25% continue to live together due to convenience which means that the remaining 25% are either dedicated masochists, very happy together or liars..... :crazy07:

Looks like there is a gremlin lurking in the works here eh Scotty? :004:

will try not to get too technical but basically

Website = a self contained application

Forum = another self contained application

login = a 'bridge' application that is supposed to talk to both applications and log you in to each regardless of whether you use the forum login or the website login.

In practice, it works most of the time but not always and this can be down to several reasons most of which can be solved at the user side.

1. If having problems make sure that caleythistleonline.com is on your allowed list of sites in your browser preferences.

2. Javascript and Cookies should be enabled for the site

3. If you routinely delete cookies then you are deleting the pieces of information that tells the site you are logged in

The only issue I have on the site is that sometimes, the main site makes me look like I am logged in, but I know I am not as things available to registered users only, like the poll, dont appear. The only solution then is to logout and log back in again.

ok, heres a slightly more technical bit.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some of these problems might be down to the fact that each separate application has a slightly different way of handling time and this confuses things between the bridge and the different cookies due to timestamps.

The main site bases its time on UTC which is more flexible than GMT. For example, you are in BC and your time year round is UTC-8 (The only exception being that few weeks we just had where North American and European clocks went forward in different weeks.)

The forum bases its time on GMT so although we are still 8 hours behind the UK, we need to configure the forum so it says +9 as the UK is currently on GMT+1. For those of us outside the UK, we then have to set our profiles with an offset time so it shows our local time correctly. In my case the offset is -5, I checked your account and it shows -8 and this is correct. However, as you can see, that means we have lost an hour somewhere in cyberspace !!!

As we are so close to the end of the season we are NOT going to look for a solution to this as the forum and website software we will be using next season seem to work a little better where this is concerned and we also dont envisage most users requiring a login to the main site any more, just to the forums and prediction league.

That's a great explanation Scotty.

Caleythistleonline  is one of the "saved" cookies.

I do delete cookies almost every day but, whereas this aspect of my actions has not changed, the sudden problems  I have been experiencing of late have occurred only very recently so I was naturally wondering if there was another explanation.I have also noticed that where I experience the same problem on another site it (e.g. the Bank ) the problem only occurs when I delete cookies through ......my computer, "C", properties, delete temporary files ...., and not by the use of Crap Cleaner or some such similar registry cleaner. and I delete these files only every other week.

The time suggestion is novel  . You are right that there is no point wasting time and energy on it this season.

O.K. I was a guest again this evening but it is no sweat for a few weeks. When are your new changes going to take effect?

S.P. :rolleyes02: