FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

How Many Players Do We Need For Next Season?

stomach

With a combination of a lot of players seemingly leaving in the summer, a few past their best and our poor run of form, I think we need quite a few new faces next season.

My question is - if you were the manager, how many do we need and in what positions ?

For me, players leaving seem to be Hart, Black, Wilson, Wyness (although I would want to keep them all for cover at least).

I would say that Patty, McCallister and Zibby are not good enough for this level.

I also think that McBains best days are behind him and that next season will be his last at the club.

Niculae could also be off with a healthy transfer fee (with a bit of luck).

If I was the manager I would get rid of Patty, McGuire, Zibby, McCallister, Niculae and possibly Black if he was a trouble maker (and Hart is off I suppose as he has already signed for C*unty).

I think we need a Goalkeeper, left back, Centre half, centre midfielder, winger and centre forward.

So, for me it would be 7 out and 6 in.

I'd keep Patti, Niculae and Black myself.

For me, GK possibly but fine if not.

Commanding centre-half an absolute necessity.

Sort out Proctor's position.  I'd like to see him at defensive midfield.

Left midfield to replace Rankin/Imrie/McAllister/McBain (Rankin gone and none of the others good enough for regular first team.  Would keep Wilson but think he's gone)

Goal-scoring centre forward ('coz they're so easy to find!).  Let's face it, Wyness is gone and Bayne is only ok.

Full-backs are both ok.  Could do better, could do worse.

So next year,

Fraser?

Tokely?            Munro        ?          Hastings

Cowie              Proctor      Black        ?

Niculae        ?

Subs: GK?, Left-back?, McGuire, Duncan, Patti, Imrie, Bayne, centre-forward?, youngsters given the chance (Wood, Vigurs etc)

Ad replace Fraser and keep him as reserve.

Ad get a comanding centre half.

In Midfield, Bazza's finished, Harts away, Reckon Black will be away, and Roys best is behind him and Panty Liner aint up to the job....so thats at least 4 needed, all battling for first team place.

Up front...Rorys is pish....Denzil will leave (or his best is behind him) and so will Mcdonald, and reckon Niculae could be leavin...so at least 2 there

I've seen a few posts about Marius and a large transfer fee if he leaves. What is the position on his contract if he leaves. Does it have a clause that allows him to leave if a certain amount is offered and does any of the transfer fee go to Orion to compensate for what they have paid out this season?

At this moment in time I have very little idea as to what/who we will need to replace in the summer as everything seems very much up in the air.  Who knows which player will be next to "fall out" with Brewster or find themselves out of favour for whatever reason.

I'm more anxious as we approach the end of this season than I have been in any other single season with regards to the number of players we may well end up having to bring in and I'm far from confident that these players will be easy to find, if at all possible.

Quite frankly, I don't believe we have the necessary personnel in the coaching/management staff to pull off the kind of overhaul it looks like we are heading for and next season looks like it could be very bleak right now.

If I was being totally ruthless and honest, the following players would be surplus to requirements.

Dennis - Yes I know he is a legend and our top scorer of all time,and he is a confidence player bla bla but he has no pace and his skills do not stand out as they used to in the lower divisions.

Bayne- Always gives 110% but thats not enough for me,we always seem to resort to the long ball game when he is playing ,and most of the time his challenges result in nothing more than free kicks to our opponents.

Rory - Sorry the lad has been given ample time and even when out on loan he still looked out of his depth(prove me wrong elsewhere Rory)

Tokely - Go on  boo hiss me all you want ,but the guy is a lumbering oaf who looks as fit as Johnny Vegas and as mobile as Long John Silver.Why he was offered a new deal I don't know maybe he has some dodgy pictures of the ICT board with naked ferrets and he blackmailed them ;

Paatelainen- He huffs and he puffs but he never blows the house down,I just don't think he has the end product to play at this level.

McBain- Love the guy to bits and he has a great engine on him but how often do we see him failing to deliver a cross in?  as he can't use his right foot.

Now there others I know that I could add to my "hit list" but these names are the ones that stand out,and  in my view if the club wants to move forward these are the players that should be looked at for changing for the greater good of the club.

Quite frankly, I don't believe we have the necessary personnel in the coaching/management staff to pull off the kind of overhaul it looks like we are heading for and next season looks like it could be very bleak right now.

Is there a desperate need for wholesale changes in personnel...?

I was greatly encouraged by the performance against Aberdeen  -  Had we kept 11 men on the field and had an in-form Blackie in the side, I'm quite sure we would have recorded our first ever win over the Dons...

I believe the remaining games of the season will see the men sorted out from the boys at TCS....

I think McGuire, Watt, McBain, Bayne, McAllister and BREWSTER should be sold/sacked. And if we get a big fee for Marius we should sell up. Dont get me wrong Marius has been good for us and I'd love to keep him but he's got such a history in European football so if he goes off to Euro 2008 there should be plenty of clubs willing to shell out up to ?500k for him, which would be an incredible amount for us to get  :022:

Next season:

Fraser

Proctor, Munro, ?, ?

?, Cowie, Black, Imrie

Wyness, ?

Subs - ?, Zander, Wood, Gillespie, Hart, ?, Tokely

New Centre back, new left back, new midfielder, new striker, new sub keeper, new sub striker

So, 6 out, and 6 in

Johnboy, I don't think we have a desperate need for wholesale changes in the players, but it looks like that's exactly what Brewster and Co are gearing up for.

I'm a great believer in the saying "if it's not broken, then don't fix it"...however it seems that those pulling the strings at ICT disagree.  What went so terribly wrong with the squad of players we had last season that justifies not only the changes we have seen to date this season, but those which are almost certain to happen in the summer.

You can argue that it is what is needed to move the team forward...only time will tell if that's the case.

I think to cast aside the values which have served us well for 13 years, kept us progressing steadily and got us where we are is a mighty dangerous game to be playing.  It takes just one season to undo 13 years of work, and it'll take a helluva lot longer to put it right again if it doesn't pay off.

:024: - Funnily enough we seemed to be having the same conversation around about this time last year with regards getting in a commanding Centre Back.  I wonder if we'll have this conversation again next April?

Guest CaleyJaggy

Johnboy, I don't think we have a desperate need for wholesale changes in the players, but it looks like that's exactly what Brewster and Co are gearing up for.

I'm a great believer in the saying "if it's not broken, then don't fix it"...however it seems that those pulling the strings at ICT disagree.  What went so terribly wrong with the squad of players we had last season that justifies not only the changes we have seen to date this season, but those which are almost certain to happen in the summer.

You can argue that it is what is needed to move the team forward...only time will tell if that's the case.

I think to cast aside the values which have served us well for 13 years, kept us progressing steadily and got us where we are is a mighty dangerous game to be playing.  It takes just one season to undo 13 years of work, and it'll take a helluva lot longer to put it right again if it doesn't pay off.

I think that the signing of Marius was an indication of the changing values inherent to Caley Thistle, it is and was a big deal to us as a team to sign someone of his pedigree and cost (in wages) as we have never been about that type of player before.  The decision to break our wage structure for one player was a gamble that may or may not pay off in the future.  We have already seen Duncan mention the wage Marius picks up when trying to improve his new contract.

FWIW I have always thought that we would have to gamble with a big money signing at some point to improve the chances of finishing higher in the league.  I think Marius has unfortunately taken a long time to get used to the game in Scotland as seems to happen alot with foreign players coming to Britain in general.  I believe that should he be here next season, we will see a much improved player for our team.

As for players for next season, I'd like us to give Patti another year, sign Xander and get him in the squad and I think we need an organiser in the team, a defender or midfielder would be my preference.  We could do with someone with pace to play up front or in behind as we have missed that since losing Dargo.

I'd Move McBain to Left Back, he played there earlier in the season and I thought he did a terrific job - the position played to his strengths and was more forgiving of his weaknesses.

Good call!

:024: - Funnily enough we seemed to be having the same conversation around about this time last year with regards getting in a commanding Centre Back.  I wonder if we'll have this conversation again next April?

Given that Proctor (though I think Tokely would be decent in there) has played there a few times (and if we were playing sweeper, I think that would work), I'm sure Brewster knows it's a position we're lacking in.

And if CB gets it right, he could leave as soon as the first offer comes in...just like he did before  :rolleyes02:

Next season:

Fraser

Proctor, Munro, ?, ?

?, Cowie, Black, Imrie

Wyness, ?

Subs - ?, Zander, Wood, Gillespie, Hart, ?, Tokely

Cowie and Black in centre midfield?  Think we need a bit more steel in there.  Brewster will go for Duncan but I'd like to see Proctor, moving Cowie outside.  Imrie could be a decent sub ( :rotflmao: get it? ICT? Brewster? Using substitutes?  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:) but not a week in week out player.

In Goal....

As he's a local lad, I have a lot of patience with Ike in goals, and would only want to see an exceptional keeper to take his place. Despite not having a clean sheet for a while, I think he's holding his own since taking over from the bench-warmer a 'Tic.

Defence....

Proctor should be in the starting line up, each week. McGuire has been a liability recently. We also need another couple of defenders to take over if they are not pulling their weight or are suspended/injured.

Midfield....

Zander should be given a good chance on the wing. Pretty happy with Cowie, Black (on the field) & Duncan. Marcus, Imrie are hot and cold. I'm not a big fan of McBain, but he has been on good form for the last couple of games. If we buy, it needs to be quality e.g. a creative player out of favour at another club or an outstanding player from a lower division.

Forwards....

I never know what to expect up front each week. Marius is class, Bayne and Dennis have something to prove, I can't recall seeing Rory playing particularly well in the SPL. One thing that would help them all is decent delivery from the wings........that has to be priority 1 for the close season.

Fans....

Get behind Brewster, we all want the same thing, ICT success!

Summer Break....

We have conceded too many late goals this season; a tough fitness regime and team building is called for in the summer months...Bonnes Vacances Les Joueurs  :004:

I forgot about Macdonald and Watt, so that is another 2 going

my revised list to go:Macdonald, Watt, Patty, McGuire, Zibby, McCallister, Niculae and possibly Black if he was a trouble maker (and Hart is off I suppose as he has already signed for C*unty). So that is 9 out.

Yeh, if Brew keeps 'falling out' with players then there could be a few more going

i reckon we could do with:

1) a new GK either as a replacement for Zibi or as immediate No. 1 for ike to challenge.

2) a big, no-nonsense centre half in the mould of mann or dods

3) a playmaker/attacking midfielder who is used as a direct link between the midfield. all to often our midfield has been by passed by the long ball, we need someone with the ability to put his foot on the ball and supply our forwards with decent balls. i feel this could quite easily be filled by none other than juanjo, i feel he could be the creative spark we've been missing recently, if he can re-capture the form we know he is capable off anyway.

4) a pacy striker, as it says on the tin, fast, capable of bursting past big lumbering centre halfs which there all to many off in the SPL

i think that would proably be all that is necessary if we dont lose too many players over the close season.

i certainly dont envy the task of getting the players we need up here, not an easy job by any means

In answer to the question.....  :sillywave:

Well, we need to have 11 first team players on the pitch during the match and about 5 sat on the bench and then running up and down to keep warm. A reserve team  who have played excellently this season and some younger teams as well.

It really doesn't matter who I think should go, or stay. The club will have the final say but while I am disappointed about how our season has gone so far I thought I would post this for fun, and say my usual phrase lets try and get behind whoever is on the pitch in an ICT shirt.

Guest TinCanFan

Here's what needs to be done IMO:

1. A new keeper maybe to replace Zibi (who hopefully won't stay) and to challenge Fraser to be first choice.  Maybe bringing McNulty into the first team as a third choice would be good too.

2. Defence - Proctor should be a first choice in every game at right back but no so much at centre back, Munro is okay and McGuire is totally useless, he's got to go.  Hastings at left back, or stick him in as a centre-back which he does well doing for Canada and maybe put McBain at left back where I think he plays better (though he is doing well in midfield just now).  But most importantly a new, commanding centre-back is needed.  McCaffery is as good as gone.  Watt was never really given a chance under Brewster but I thought he played well again Arbroath and is apparently doing well in the reserves, he will almost certainly go.

3. Midfield - Cowie at right wing and Zander at left wing.  Black will probably go and hopefully so will Duncan who is passed his best and is a bit of a liability.  McBain, even though doing well just now is also past his best and should seldomly be played in midfield with him in defence instead.  Juanjo may give some creativity in midfield, and at times Cowie should be played on the left wing with Tokely on the right.  Imrie and Paatelainen are okay and should be kept as subs.  Wilson should also be used as a "super sub" as he can change games but can't last them.

4. Striker - Niculae will probably go, as will Wyness.  Wyness is passed his best and to be looks as if his heart aint in it anymore.  A quick, nippy forward is also needed.  Barrowman may be brought in and Tokely should be played up front from time to time, he plays there most of the time anywhere, so why not leave him there.  McAllister has potential and should be kept as a sub or played in midfield.  Dean McDonald is no good at all so he's got to go and probably will.  Wood should probably be on the bench.  Maybe playing Wilson here too would be good as he did under Steve Paterson.

5. Subs - Couple of new subs might be quite good.

Out - Zibi, Black (probably), Watt, Deano, Wyness (probably), Niculae (probably), Duncan (hopefully), McGuire (hopefully), McCaffery (pretty much gone) 

about 8 out.

In - Keeper, Juanjo?, Zander, Defender (or two), Wood, striker (or two, Barrowman??), McNulty?? 

7-8ish in

Line-Up, 4-4-2 will probably be used:

Fraser

Proctor      Munro/Hastings            ?              McBain/Hastings

Cowie/Tokely  Black(if he stays)          Juanjo??              Zander/Cowie (if Tokely is played on the right)

Barrowman??                          Bayne