FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Don Cowie

Guest Spectre

Guest Spectre

Not only the club's top SPL scorer (to date) but also top scoring midfielder in the SPL (excluding Barry Robson's penalties).  Not bad for a first season at the level, hope he's still with us next season.

Oh, and for Mike Wadsworth's information, looking at the highlights your right back was playing him onside so he wasn't "3 metres offside"...

Guest birdog

Don has always been a player I have admired. He lost his way a little without Rankin in the side but he is coming right back onto his game now, I think Wilson and he played brilliantly off each other against Gretna . The guy will go far and when we do lose him from TCS it will be a great loss, I just hope it is not for a few seasons yet.

Guest birdog

I'm dying to see a midfield line up of.....

Wilson - Cowie - Black - McBain - Imrie

Sounds divine.

Boo! Cowie was CC's signing! Im not lettin Brew get any credit for this!  :004:  :tic01:

But seriously great season for Don, must admit I saw him  a couple of times for County last season and he looked very average, but fantastic start to his ICT career.

As for that midfield line-up, agreed, but Barry won't last the full 90, so I'm delighted to have Zander back. He's a top player.

He has been great for us this season and his goals from midfield have been very welcome.  Took his goal very well on Saturday but I thought he drifted out of the game in the middle period, but what do I know, I'm just a fan and his controlled volley, not for the first time this season, nestled in the net brilliantly.

MoM, doubt it, Barry was looking much more likely.

Guest birdog

With John Rankin and now Don Cowie stepping up will it proves that it can be done so if we get Barrowman then who knows he could be next.

Rankin and Cowie were the back bone of County's best ever team in Div 1. Barrowman only scored 1 goal whilst playing in Div 1 with QOS. Div 1 for the main part is a full time league and Div 2 is mainly made up of teams with part time players. I really do think signing Barrowman would be a mistake.

Barrowman is a risk ...... some risks pay off, some dont. Anyone who can score 29 goals in a season, even in Division 2 must have some natural goalscoring ability !!! Iain Stewart scored 29 times for us in Division 3 in 96/97 and a total of 73 times in three seasons spanning Divisions 3 and 2. Dennis Wyness is the only other player to come close with a total of 75 goals in three successive seasons in division 1.

The risk we took with Rankin and Cowie was maybe less but both look to have paid off even if Rankin is now elsewhere.

The risk of Imrie is still apparent but going from the early weeks where people were slating him to the last few weeks where he has now scored a couple of goals, contributed to a few more and generally played quite well, it seems most now regard him as having raw talent that can be nurtured ...

Here is ICT's top scorers each season .....

94/95 - Alan Hercher 7, Charlie Christie 6, Wilson Robertson 6 (DIV 3)

95/96 - Iain Stewart 24, Alan Hercher 12, Charlie Christie 12 (DIV 3)

96/97 - Iain Stewart 29, Brian Thomson 11, Scott McLean 9 (DIV 3)

97/98 - Iain Stewart 20, Brian Thomson 20, Barry Wilson 10 (DIV 2)

98/99 - Scott McLean 20, Barry Wilson 14, Duncan Shearer 13 (DIV 2)

99/00 - Paul Sheerin 17, Barry Wilson 16, Davide Xausa 10 (DIV 2)

00/01 - Dennis Wyness 26, Paul Sheerin 12, Davide Xausa 10 (DIV 1)

01/02 - Dennis Wyness 22, Paul Ritchie 20, Bobby Mann 7 (DIV 1)

02/03 - Dennis Wyness 27, Paul Ritchie 20, Barry Robson 13 (DIV 1)

03/04 - Paul Ritchie 23, David Bingham 17, Barry Wilson & Stevie Hislop 14 (DIV 1)

04/05 - Barry Wilson 10, Graham Bayne 7, Juanjo 6, Craig Brewster 5 (SPL)

05/06 - Craig Dargo 20, Dennis Wyness 11, Craig Brewster 6 (SPL)

06/07 - Craig Dargo 12, Graham Bayne 8, John Rankin 6 (SPL)

07/08 - Marius Niculae 10, Don Cowie 9, Dennis Wyness 7 (SPL)