FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Brewster looking for another 'keeper

Guest birdog

Guest birdog

CB has said in P&J interview that he is in the market for another 'keeper. He thinks that Andrew McNulty could go out on loan. He has also indicated that while the released St J 'keeper Kevin Cuthbert's name has been circulated he is not big enough for the position (Goram was a short erse!?) and that Zibi does not want to join due to the fact he is not guaranteed a first team slot.

He also commented that Andy (Barrowman) has looked really good and that Lionel  (Zadi) looks happy (not the kind of comment I was hoping for given that he has been signed). One comment which did please me was that the squad looked in good shape, given Brew's stance on fitness I think this is a boost.

Guest birdog

Crazy in my opinion to have to spend money on a keeper when we had a perfectly good back up in Zibi.  The money they will spend on a keeper could have been used more wisely on another defender.

We never "had" Zibi, he was on loan to us, Mikey played well enough to keep Zibi out of the team and Zibi did not want to sign for us and fight for the place, his choice. Do you think we should have signed Zibi on a promise to be the first string 'keeper when in the opinion of the coaching staff Mikey was the better choice? To spend money on a back up 'keeper to push Mike is a very sound investment the alternative is to let Mike get complacent with no competition or to have a very inexperienced young lad as back up should Mike get injured. I agree we need a defender signed up but the 'keeper place is just as important.

Guest birdog

I'm well aware of the fact that he was on loan.  However, I didn't know that it was 'his choice' not to stay and fight for a place.  Where did that info come from?

It's in the link I posted.

?Zibi pushed Michael last season and the reason he left was that he wanted to be the first-team regular goalkeeper, but I could not guarantee him that.

To put Zibi in perspective he still has a year of his contract to go at Hibs. He was offered a contract at ICT, which would likely have meant compensation of some sorts to Hibs, but because we couldn't give him a guarantee of regular first team starts he chose not to accept. This was well publicised a couple of months ago in the local press. The club wanted him to stay, he chose to leave. Simple as.

Guest Mahonio

How about young Steven Gallagher of Rangers or possibly Kasper Schmeichel and failing that look through English Leagues because most Goalies who have come to SPL from England have done well.

Guest Mahonio

Good Point.

Ok i need help here, i don't seem to know who to buy as a no.2 Gk, so can i get some suggestions?

My choices would be: Steven Gallagher or  Scott Shearer

I'd be looking at the older end of the Keeper Market for a third keeper.

Someone perhaps coming towards the end of their playing days with a couple of good seasons left in them who is experienced enough to be pushing Fraser for his place, but also someone he (and other GKs at the club) can learn from.

I like Fraser, but he's still on his upward curve and I wouldn't necessarily be wanting to push him so much with a younger competitor that he thinks the club are actively seeking to replace him long term and he starts to look elsewhere.

While we're at it we should get Fraser signed on a minimum 4 year contract.  The next couple of seasons could be big for him and we need to keep the wolves from the door or force them to pay us top money.

I've said for the last 18 months that we should attempt to sign Tony Bullock, although I'm not sure if he would come to sit on the bench.

Guest WynessLegend

Hopefully, whoever we sign as a keeper won't be sitting on the bench.

That's a job Michael Fraser filled admirably under Mark Brown so he has the experience for it.

I've said for the last 18 months that we should attempt to sign Tony Bullock, although I'm not sure if he would come to sit on the bench.

Have you seen how fat he's got playing for Ross County. He can't even lift his leg up to kick the ball properly.

Tho I'd like to see someone (just about anyone!) come in and knock Fraser outta place permanently.

Why..?

I think Ikey's done well for us.

He was thrown in at the deep end having only played in one or two SPL games to being our number one as soon as Broony left.

Bar the Aberdeen game, in which our defence was absent anyway, I can't remember him making any big mistakes for us.

Most of the goals we leaked last season were down to a clueless centre back or roving "right back" caught out of position again.

And he has made some superb saves when he's had to.

So many times we have people saying the youth prodigy's need to be given a chance and then when they are there are always others looking for the slightest inability or lack of confidence in them.

The boy done good in my opinion, and will only come from strength to strengh    :clapping03:

I agree Kev

Connie has a history of dislike to Fraser playing in goal for ICT, she is not keen on him being the incumbent, which is her opinion, but a lot of people on here believe Mike Fraser has justified his selection.  However, a decent experienced number two could ensure he stays on his toes.

Lets not forget the save he pulled off against Celtic, unbelievable, highlight of the season for me.

Guest WynessLegend

I agree Kev

Connie has a history of dislike to Fraser playing in goal for ICT, she is not keen on him being the incumbent, which is her opinion, but a lot of people on here believe Mike Fraser has justified his selection.  However, a decent experienced number two could ensure he stays on his toes.

Lets not forget the save he pulled off against Celtic, unbelievable, highlight of the season for me.

Sadly, one save doesn't make a season.

He made a stunning save from a free kick against Aberdeen too. From Aluko I think? Amazing stop. And THAT save against Celtic. Wow.

I think from December onwards  last season Ikey was outstanding. He certainly has my full support.

But in the interest of a balanced argument I feel I should point out his massive error at Rugby Park last year in the 2-2 draw. Add that to the Dons game Kev  :004:

I think Mike Fraser has come of age and is as good as any keeper in this league bar one. But yes he does need someone pushing him. Since Brew dropped him in favour of Zibi he has been on his toes and done well for us. Too many people think a goalie should stop anything and everything but the truth is he's only as good as his defence. And we've seen some bad defending. Christ, even Alan Rough and Jim Leighton made some howlers in their time.

And everytime someone like you does suggest that the answer is the same - he would not come and sit on the bench week in, week out.