Some ammo for saturday v Tic

Alex MacLeod

Maybe a chant or two out of this tale. Took the liberty of highlighting a few words that apply. Though I dont think he,ll be playing. Its a long way back from Ozz.

SCOTT McDONALD last night scoffed at suggestions he's fat and vowed to stuff the words of his critics down their throats.

The Celtic striker is hungry to banish the jibes surrounding his weight by piling on the goals.

McDonald devoured opponents last term and tucked away 31 goals to help Gordon Strachan's team to the SPL title.

This season, he has started more slowly, with a groin injury hindering the Australian's chances. Criticism followed and boss Strachan recently made moves to defend the striker.

He compared his star to Paul Gascoigne with an insistence that talk of sturdy body strength during good times switches to fatty jibes in the leaner moments.

But McDonald insists he doesn't need defending and made his point with a sparkling goal in Celtic's 4-0 rout of Hamilton Accies 10 days ago before lifting his jersey to show off his belly.

The 25-year-old is back in his homeland preparing for tomorrow's World Cup qualifier against Qatar.

He said: "I didn't take too kindly to suggestions I was overweight. It's a load of nonsense. But it's something that inspires you to go out there and chuck it back at them.

"My fitness hasn't been up to scratch but people have to realise that, when you've been out for three to four weeks with a groin injury and you had played only two games at the start of the season before that, you haven't had much game time.

"I can assure you everything is fine, my weight is the same as what it was last season when I was scoring and I'll continue to work hard to get fitter.

"Hopefully, that will get me back on top of my game and scoring goals for my club and country."

McDonald would love to score for the Socceroos because he has failed to net in nine internationals.

He said: "If called upon, I can do a job and it would be nice finally to get my first goal for my country.

"It's been a while in the waiting and I don't really want to wait too much longer."

I would think there could be a good opportunity here. With players on international duty tomorrow and a Euro game next tuesday he could field a weaker team. Think I'll have a tenner on a 2-0 home win.

If it injects a bit of atmosphere into the home fans, then what the hey....all just a bit of craic, and provided it's not taken too far then no harm done.

I would suggest a "Your near as fat as CaleyD" chant, but I don't think he knows me :rotflmao: