FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scottish Money in England

SMEE

I am going down south for a few days. And i got to thinking, is Scottish bank Notes accpeted down south. The reasoon i ask. I get bus to Manchester then need to get a train from there. I am not goona be near a cash machine i think, so will need to pay for train wi the cash i have on me. Anyone clear this up for me?

If i had thought of it earlier and been organised.......but it has only struck me now, and i dont have time to go to the bank. I assume if i use my bank card in a cash machine down there (hoping it works) it will give me english money :rotflmao:

Edited by SMEE

Guest Spectre

Well technically it's not in fact legal tender, a common misconception is that it is.

However most 'decent-sized' organisations don't have a problem accepting Scottish notes so in practice you should be ok with the train.

But presumably you can pay on your bank card anyway, and there's likely to be a cash machine at the station though it may be one that charges, of course.

Well technically it's not in fact legal tender, a common misconception is that it is.

However most 'decent-sized' organisations don't have a problem accepting Scottish notes so in practice you should be ok with the train.

But presumably you can pay on your bank card anyway, and there's likely to be a cash machine at the station though it may be one that charges, of course.

Yes, thats right. Got refused myself. Pretty stupid but as Lloyds TSB has taken over HBOS im sure it wont matter soon, Clydesdale and RoyalBOS left

When people say Scottish notes are not legal tender they are right, but all the term legal tender means is notes that must be accepted as settlement of a debt ordered by a court of law.

Scottish notes are however legal currency.

That's what someone told me in the pub once anyway, so it must be correct.

I always used to take ?50 of Scottish fivers with me everytime i went back down south after being on leave,I saw it as my duty to enlighten English landlords (the only place my cash went in younger days) and make them aware of Scottish currency! never ever refused, speshly if you order several pints first then show them the money "yeah but,no but, I'm not sure ...."

they always accepted them :rotflmao:

I have had some shops refuse Scottish money Lincoln and Dewsbury but these were small shops with numpties serving. In larger shops you will probably get the person at till check with someone else.

One chip shop in Wragby lincolnshire has a sign saying "no Scottish money accepted". I just ordered 2 fish suppers and bottle of coke,started to eat one and opened bottle before he asked for money, he refused Scottish ?20 note so I told him to stick his food some where dark.

When I was in London a few years ago whenI got a taxi, I would wave a fiver in one hand and hand the driver a Scottish pound note from other hand and tell him to keep the change. Got off with it almost all the time, just pleaded mistake when one driver noticed.

Who said I was a tight B*****D

I assume if i use my bank card in a cash machine down there (hoping it works) it will give me english money :rotflmao:

I'm afrid it won't. If you insert a card from a Scottish bank into a machine, it's programmed to issue Scottish notes only.

You just made that up didn't you Charles?

I assume if i use my bank card in a cash machine down there (hoping it works) it will give me english money :rotflmao:

I'm afrid it won't. If you insert a card from a Scottish bank into a machine, it's programmed to issue Scottish notes only.

Strange.. i put my RBS maestro card into a machine in greece and got out Euro's. and they were'nt scottish euros!

Strange.. i put my RBS maestro card into a machine in greece and got out Euro's. and they were'nt scottish euros!

Obviously... because we don't have Scottish euros so the machines abroad don't distinguish between Scottish and English plastic cards. Machines in the UK do and are loaded up with Scottish and English notes in separate compartments to respond to Scottish or English cards. The system can be overridden by keying in the code 1707 before making your request for cash.

the machines abroad don't distinguish between Scottish and English plastic cards. Machines in the UK do and are loaded up with Scottish and English notes in separate compartments to respond to Scottish or English cards. The system can be overridden by keying in the code 1707 before making your request for cash.

So why do I get English notes from the cashline accross from the Sony shop in town when I use my RBoS card?

whoooooosh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acts_of_Union_1707

So why do I get English notes from the cashline accross from the Sony shop in town when I use my RBoS card?

Kind of depends if you speak with an english accent... and do english banks in Scotland give out english money?

Which raises another question ...... should the UK government not modernise the banknotes and produce ones that say "United Kingdom" which would be far more inclusive of each of the nations that make up the union instead of having them say just Bank of England.

Alternatively, if they want to stick with "Bank of England" then maybe they should instruct the Scottish/Irish/Welsh parliaments or assemblies to continue issuing notes, perhaps through a single bank each and recognise these as "legal tender" in the same way as "Bank of England" notes.

Guest Spectre

In Guernsey and Jersey they accept English notes, but nobody in England accepts Guernsey bank notes.

In Ireland pre-Euro they accepted pounds for punts (1:1) when the pound was worth more but when it was the other way round they insisted you pay more!

In France, to get English pounds out of cash machines the code is 1066.

Obviously... because we don't have Scottish euros so the machines abroad don't distinguish between Scottish and English plastic cards. Machines in the UK do and are loaded up with Scottish and English notes in separate compartments to respond to Scottish or English cards. The system can be overridden by keying in the code 1707 before making your request for cash.

1707 - nice one Mr Bannerman!

I'm just back today from a week in Wales and a couple of stops on the M6 on the way. No problems apart from a couple of times in Wales where the assistant peered at the note before putting it in the till - obviously they were young and had never seen one before.

My experience is, it's only a few arrogant Londoners looking for a bit of sport who give you any bother. That and little pockets of the country where you get UKIP-type little englanders :rotflmao:

Edited by The Mantis