FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Hi

Laurence

When I was a boy my father , whilst on holiday , pulled up the car outside a very old football ground and said "this is the ground of Inverness Thistle, famous for giant killing acts in the Scottish cup".

Shame they never had SatNav back then. Sounds like your old man must have found himself on the classier side of the river :lol::lol:

Fixed that for you, Mantis. :004:

Sadly both grounds are gone now, Laurence, but you might still be able to visit the old Thistle pie stall - last time I saw it, it was perched proudly like an exotic red and black bird among some drab lock-ups near Tomnahurich.

Edited by alternative maryhill

I also sold one to a Lady in Dingwall who returned it,

I am REALLY surprised that none of the razor sharp wits on these forums picked up on that little gem. :004:

Laurence... the sequel to "Against All Odds" has effectively already been written since the club's statistician Ian Broadfoot published "Going Ballistic" about five years ago. This book takes the tale on from where I left it on the day that the Third Division title was won through to entry to the SPL in 2004 although Ian's book concentrates rather more on the playing side than mine does.

A couple of other observations on intervening posts. Unfortunately I have to inform Alternative Maryhill and various members of the Thistle Disapora that the Kingsmills Tea Hut has now unfortunately gone the way of Monty Python's parrot - it is defunct, it is no longer there. The sheds and garages of which it was part opposite the Queens Park have been converted into a building site.

Reading the story this week of battlefield archaeologists' efforts to find the precise site of the Battle of Prestonpans reminded me of the slight uncertainty which already exists over where Citadel's ground precisely was. I hope we never lose track of where various features of Kingsmills and Telford Street Parks were. (I once bought a TV from the centre circle at Telford Street!)

Oh, and Laurence... please excuse Immortal Howden Ender. You WILL eventually get used to him.

Alternative Maryhill -- CB says it is all gone when I was thinking that the lock-ups to which you refer were the crypts in the cemetery. Oh My! LOL

As for you, Mantis, Lang May Yer Antennae Quiver--it picked up a Pimple about 5 years ago and so far has not been able to shake it off. It's hanging on by a thread--this site , however, has breathed new life into it. :028:

I used to work at Washington Hall , ( Chorley) as a Fire Service instructor

I saw the Chorley v Bury Cup tie , The most disgraceful racist match I have ever seen.

By the way my father was a perfect gentleman, and definately more than compus mentis.

so stop insulting him please. Or I will never visit this message board again.

I used to work at Washington Hall , ( Chorley) as a Fire Service instructor

I saw the Chorley v Bury Cup tie , The most disgraceful racist match I have ever seen.

By the way my father was a perfect gentleman, and definately more than compus mentis.

so stop insulting him please. Or I will never visit this message board again.

Yip Bury have a bad support - apologies for the sarcasm - by the way it is compus mentus.

Hi

Glad we are on the same wavelenght now. I was only defending my Dad who died over 30 years ago, and is not around to defend himself.

[i was referring to the Chorley ( Preston ) fans. Chorley have not many supporters.

Chanting "shoot the N***r", and pointing at Tony Cunningham, Roger Mauge', Roger Stanislaus, 3 black players , for the whole of the match.

With regard to his watching Bolton, Blackburn and others, you should note in the fifties these were big first Division teams with great players like Nat Lofthouse and Bryan Douglas. There was no football on TV and the only way you could see the big stars was to go to the matches.

Even Bury had Stan Pearson who only two years before scored two goals for England in front 134 thousand people at Hampden Park. ( when a Man U player) before his transfer to Bury

http://www.londonhearts.com/scotland/games/19520405.html

It was a great victory for Chorley, A true giant killing performance , but remembered for the behavour of the supporters.

regards

Laurence

Edited by Laurence

I remember when Mark Walters signed for Rangers and Celtic fans (and then Hearts I believe) were walking around in gorilla outfits* and throwing bananas. And this was in the late 1980s??!!

(*which reminds me of that great episode of "One Foot In The Grave")