FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

John Rankin

Guest Sandy Cromarty

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a good suggestion to me.

Typical positive, common-sense view from the weedy man....

There is nothing like learning how  to pay a back-handed compliment my dears---stay tuned... :016:

What sounds like a good idea?

Sounds like a good suggestion to me.

Typical positive, common-sense view from the weedy man....

There is nothing like learning how  to pay a back-handed compliment my dears---stay tuned... :016:

What sounds like a good idea?

Playing Rankin on the wing?? - I have to agree, for his crossing if not anything else!!

Yeah it could be worth a shot but ICT fans need to get this idea that Rankin is a winger out of their heads. Just because he is left footed it doesn't mean he is a winger. He is a central midfielder. That's where he played for County and that's where he was most effective as demonstrated by last seasons performances.

Yeah it could be worth a shot but ICT fans need to get this idea that Rankin is a winger out of their heads. Just because he is left footed it doesn't mean he is a winger. He is a central midfielder. That's where he played for County and that's where he was most effective as demonstrated by last seasons performances.

"It was thought the arrival of Rankin in July would solve the problematic position on the left-hand side of midfield given the 23-year-old had played their various times during his three-year stint with local rivals Ross County."

"He can play on the left-hand side, but if you put him out there then you lose his natural energy in the middle of the park where it is best utilised.

Players like John and Roy McBain offer us a bit of flexibility in that they can play out left, plus we also have Alan Morgan, who I'm now really looking at to take the next step and stake his claim for a place in the team."

from the Courier article

I know what you are saying RIG but the one game that Rankin did play out wide he showed how effective he can be by setting up a goal for Dargo, surely he has got to be our best option out left at the moment!!

Guest Sandy Cromarty

When all the talk of him coming to us was going on last season I went through to Brigadoom to see him in the St Mirren Scottish cup tie, RC played him on the left wing where his script seemed to be diagonal runs from halfway inside St Mirrens half, he was totally blocked every time and when I commented on the fact to a local he told me that RC usually never played him that wide.

I was one of those who was touting him for the left wing right at the start of the season, but it would seem that he tends to drift/get drawn in to the middle far too easily for him to play out there comfortably, and if a player is comfortable then you aren't going to get the best from them.  He also doesn't seem to link up too well with Hastings, again coming inside any time Hastings makes any kind of move down the wing and being left without proper support/link-up.

These things seem to come more naturally to Morgan and I was glad to see CC mention that he is being pushed to claim a place on the left.  Not only do I think this will create more danger from us down the left but it will give Rankin a chance to prove himself in the middle of the park.

One thing I have noticed lacking from Rankin that he seemed well acclaimed for in the 1st Div was having a pop from distance, would like to see him doing more of this for us with Dargo/Bayne chasing down the shots to pick up on any spilled/loose balls.

I was one of those who was touting him for the left wing right at the start of the season, but it would seem that he tends to drift/get drawn in to the middle far too easily for him to play out there comfortably, and if a player is comfortable then you aren't going to get the best from them.  He also doesn't seem to link up too well with Hastings, again coming inside any time Hastings makes any kind of move down the wing and being left without proper support/link-up.

You got all this from 1 game??  He could drift inside for 88 minutes in match as long as he makes 1 of those killer passes that he made for Dargo.  You can't really expect a player making his debut for a club to strike up a partnership with any player on the pitch.  IMO he is one of the most technical players we have next to Barry Ferguson Wilson and although his crossing is sometimes hot & cold he is more likely to deliver a decent ball than McBain and seems to have more pace and skill than Morgan.  I think one of the major reasons the team hasn't gelled in midfield this season is that CC has McBain & Rankin's positions the wrong way round.

One thing I have noticed lacking from Rankin that he seemed well acclaimed for in the 1st Div was having a pop from distance, would like to see him doing more of this for us with Dargo/Bayne chasing down the shots to pick up on any spilled/loose balls.

That will come with confidence, when he gets one goal the rest will follow

With apologies to RIG and Caley D who are clearly avid supporters but also clearly have no feckin football brain at all.  :015: :015: :015: BUT:

Rankin is NOT a feckin left winger - He is possibly a good SFL standard Central playmaker - He is taking a step up - HE IS A LEFT SIDED ATTACKING MIDFIELD PLAYER in the SPL  :017: :017: - Ya play him WITH a holding player and a playmaker  :017: :017: :017: - He makes the blind side runs and sudden forays - Remember Bingham - Remember Robson.  :017: :017: he has to learn his trade - We are playing him in the same feckin role as Black and HE AINT FECKIN READY....yet.

The boy is clearly talented ++++ but CC is feckinhim up.

Feckin DOH  :015: :015: :015:

With apologies to RIG and Caley D who are clearly avid supporters but also clearly have no feckin football brain at all.  :015: :015: :015:

Clearly  :006:

Rankin is NOT a feckin left winger - He is possibly a good SFL standard Central playmaker - He is taking a step up - HE IS A LEFT SIDED ATTACKING MIDFIELD PLAYER in the SPL

He is?

Ya play him WITH a holding player and a playmaker

So we play him in a completely different role to the one he played in at Ross County which is why we paid 65k for him?

Remember Bingham - Remember Robson.

Yes I remember them. Bingham played wide left in a front 3 and Robsons was a natrual left winger. Rankin was at his most successful for County in a central midfield pairing. He was allowed to do all the running forward while Cowie did the all the tidying up by sitting in front of the defence. This allowed Rankin to get forward whenever he wanted and this is what enabled him to get the goals.

You want to play a midfielder who has found a niche in the middle of the park on the left hand side of the pitch where he will continually drift inside as we have seen all season thus leaving Hastings/Golly exposed and us with no natural balance?

You want to play a midfielder who has found a niche in the middle of the park on the left hand side of the pitch where he will continually drift inside as we have seen all season thus leaving Hastings/Golly exposed and us with no natural balance?

He has played on the left for 1 GAME!!!

He has played on the left for 1 GAME!!!

On the left yes he has started there once. He has also been moved there on a couple of ocassions when subs have come on and he has also turned up on the right. On each ocassion he kept drifting back inside to the centre.

If people are suggesting that he has to adapt his game to the SPL while playing in the centre, it is no different for if he plays out wide.  In the St Mirren game when he started out wide it seemed that Golly was trying to get forward whenever possible, which gave Rankin no chance but to drift inside but when he did get into the final 3rd out wide he always looked capable of putting in a cross, or as he showed, setting up a goal.  He would have more freedom on the left wing and it would be better for him to play there and get his confidence, we have more than enough cover in the centre of the park but at the moment (infact, since Robson left) nothing seems to be coming from the wide left.  Centre mid might be his preferred position but at the moment I don't think we have a better option

What is needed is for the wide midfielders to get to the corners when the wing backs go forward. We have to start playing the width of the pitch along its full length. No point having the widest pitch in the league if we dont use it all to our advantage.

For me Rankin's a left of central midfielder.

quote from Chibber:

IMO he is one of the most technical players we have next to Barry Ferguson

When did we sign Ferguson Harry?

:015: :015: :015:

Wilson!!

I obviously have the up coming Scotland game in my head

Letting your true colours show their Mr Chibber  :024:

quote from Chibber:

IMO he is one of the most technical players we have next to Barry Ferguson

When did we sign Ferguson Harry?

:015: :015: :015:

Wilson!!

I obviously have the up coming Scotland game in my head

Letting your true colours show their Mr Chibber  :024:

What a Scotland fan?? Yes.... it's true... I'm so ashamed!!  :017: :017:

.... and no I wouldn't pi55 on Ibrox if it was burning to the ground.  The only red & blue I'll ever wear will have an ICT badge on it.  :006: :006: :006:

• 2 weeks later...