FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Throw Ins

kencar

I know this topic has been discussed before but nothing seems to being done about. It beggars belief how bad we are at taking them and all we end up doing is wasting time before inevitably handing possession back to the opposition.

You are correct. I think I brought it up a couple of times. Simply awful at throw ins, and set pieces. It is something Butcher needs to address, along with Russelldinho's exclusion.

It's as though they have been told what to do, and don't break that rule. Maybe Russell took a throw in last week and was chastised for it.

• Agree 2

Couldn't agree more, surely the gaffer can see that this is causing us a real problem. Nobody breaks their marker to get into a 'receiving' position. It must be very very hard for Shinnie, just into the team, to have no options in front of him.

There are also times when the situation is screaming out for a long Grant throw in.

I agree totally, but I have felt that this has been the case for years - long before the Butcher / Malpas era. Are there less ball boys now than in the past? The time it takes to get the ball to the player taking the throw doesn't help either. At one point today Ryan Esson ran all the way to the corner flag to pick up the ball for a goal kick. That's crazy. I don't see why every ball boy doesn't have a ball to keep things flowing.

A lot of folk (me included) got/gets wound up at Eric losing possession from throws n today shinnie got the odd sarcastic dig from some but (as said before) Eric is the only one moving n shinnie isn't given a lot of choices.... it needs sorted, st johnny the day seemed to play off that.

the throw in situation has definitley been looked at. at the start of the season throw ins were completely unrehearsed, now it looks like we are trying to throw to a players feet all the time and i think this could work however the majority of the time the ball ended up at Odi or Ross. With Odi yesterday his first touch was atrocious and Ross was being out muscled too often

I can't understand why there seems to be nobody within a squad of fit athletic young men who can throw a football further than I can throw my mother-in-law. St Johnstone caused us a lot of problems from their long throws and a decent longish throw should be a basic tactic available in any team. If nobody is a natural then they should coach the technique - it's not difficult. But what is even more unforgivable is not making yourself available - yesterday Sutherland was actively making himself available when he came on but apart from that, only Odihambo seem remotely intersted in getting the ball. Frankly, if players aren't looking for the ball they shouldn't be in the team.

Ive noticed this loads of times, it really is annoying. Only person i have see making at an attempt at throw ins is Sanchez. He is always about to be on the end of a throw in - if hes being marked, then he makes an attempt to lose his marker, mostly succeeding.