FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scottish Cup

DJS

Just heard the Elgin guys are planning wearing Maradonna masks and waving "We gave you Pele" banner,just to wind TB up

Pele resigned after the then-Elgin chairman went back on a promised pay-rise after he won them their final highland League title in 1990. Good move from Elgin, as we all know that Pele subsequently built a great team at Huntly and was the best Highland manager for the next ten years. We also signed a few players who had Elgin connections when Pele was our boss - Mike Teasdale, Ian McArthur, Dave McGinlay all played for Elgin (I think).

I this our first game against them in any competition?

I think so if you mean "major" competitions (ie - league, Scottish Cup, League Cup, Challenge Cup etc.) but they may have faced ICT before in some of the lesser things (Inverness Cup, North of Scotland Cup and all that lot). Not 100% sure though.

We've faced you in the North of Scotland cup final, but it was a youth team that Caley put out that day, so we could probably discount that. This will be the first meeting between the two clubs in a national competition.

This is indeed the first meeting between the sides in a senior competitive fixture (league or cup). This also completes the 'full set' for Caley Thistle as Elgin were the only team in Scottish league football that we have never faced in any competition.

Seems this 'rivalry' is a lot more one sided!

I agree Joe

Elgin still see ICT as Caley but this of course is no longer the case

Elgin are no different to your East Stirlings or Montrose to us

What it does suggest is that Elgin fans are of very low intellect

This will be an easy game for ICT against inferior opposition and one which i think Terry will send out a weakened side

I predict ICT 3 Elgin O :ictscarf:

dougal

Aye, that's definitely not the point of view to be having. Can't take anything for granted, would be a nightmare to lose this.

Aren't Elgin the only team in the country we've never beaten in a competitive game as well? Bit of added incentive here if so..

I am hoping for a draw and a midweek replay at Borough Briggs - on a British Rail Football Special - I will have to go to a 70's outsize shop get some bovver boots, white Oxford Bags, a black Harrington, ICT scarves for my wrists, an iron bar, some knuckle dusters and some spray paint. :rolleyes:

None of these Moray numpties will have a scooby about Caley, far less ICT, and any remaining STAIGO boys will be in jail, dead or Lossiemouth Nursing Homes.

Just get the cnuts to park the buses down the Carse Road.

I am hoping for a draw and a midweek replay at Borough Briggs - on a British Rail Football Special - I will have to go to a 70's outsize shop get some bovver boots, white Oxford Bags, a black Harrington, ICT scarves for my wrists, an iron bar, some knuckle dusters and some spray paint. :rolleyes:

None of these Moray numpties will have a scooby about Caley, far less ICT, and any remaining STAIGO boys will be in jail, dead or Lossiemouth Nursing Homes.

Just get the cnuts to park the buses down the Carse Road.

As ever, IHE is the voice of reason, wisdom and common sense.

I have a vivid memory of Elgin keeper, Dave Lawtie, getting pelted with snowballs at Telford Street in the days when they played football in the snow and stewards hadn't been invented. Would love to do that again to an Elgin goalie. Maybe in January :rolleyes:

I think so if you mean "major" competitions (ie - league, Scottish Cup, League Cup, Challenge Cup etc.) but they may have faced ICT before in some of the lesser things (Inverness Cup, North of Scotland Cup and all that lot). Not 100% sure though.

We've faced you in the North of Scotland cup final, but it was a youth team that Caley put out that day, so we could probably discount that. This will be the first meeting between the two clubs in a national competition.

This is indeed the first meeting between the sides in a senior competitive fixture (league or cup). This also completes the 'full set' for Caley Thistle as Elgin were the only team in Scottish league football that we have never faced in any competition.

I was asking because if we beat Elgin we will have beaten every team in scotland apart from Annan Athletic.

It's a cup game though Dougal. That's the way septic viewed us in 2000...

ICT were a first division club in 2000 not a poor struggling third division outfit like Elgin so thats a stupid comparison to make

If Terry plays the first team i would be really surprised if the scoreline wasn't at least 5-0 to ICT

As for Elgin taking through a large support what rubbish i reckon they'll take 500-600 tops

They are lucky to get 500 at home games

IMO Elgin should re-apply to the Highland League as their senior life as been one big joke since day one and they bring absolutely nothing to the party

dougal

We beat Annan in last years challenge cup 4-0

...and 8-1 once as well but think they may have been non-league then.

Yeah...i THINK that was the game where Vetle Anderson got a bit of greif for disrespecting Annan by doing keepie ups with the ball during the game. They were deffo Non League then

It's a cup game though Dougal. That's the way septic viewed us in 2000...

ICT were a first division club in 2000 not a poor struggling third division outfit like Elgin so thats a stupid comparison to make

If Terry plays the first team i would be really surprised if the scoreline wasn't at least 5-0 to ICT

As for Elgin taking through a large support what rubbish i reckon they'll take 500-600 tops

They are lucky to get 500 at home games

IMO Elgin should re-apply to the Highland League as their senior life as been one big joke since day one and they bring absolutely nothing to the party

dougal

Struggling? We're sitting 7 points from the top of the league and our recent form has seen us get 8 wins and a draw from our last 11 games. We're not going to win though and a draw is the best we can hope for, but don't dismiss us as the same whipping boys as previous seasons. After beating us 4 times last season, I bet Livi fancied an easy game on Saturday.

Caley fans should know as much as any that you get the gloryhunters coming out for the big matches. When we played Buckie in the Scottish Cup in 2006, the crowd was 2109. I've already talked to people in England who are coming up for this game and people who havn't been to see Elgin since the 80's and 90's who are going. No one wants to miss this, it is easyily our biggest game in my lifetime (although I'm only in my early 20's). In August we took 400 to Tynecastle on a Tuesday night, so I'd fancy double that amount for the Caley game. Our average attendence for October and November is over 600, so I can't see it as being as low as 500-600 as you predict.

Come on Elgin :twothumbsup:

Edited by Elginfan
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Struggling? We're sitting 7 points from the top of the league and our recent form has seen us get 8 wins and a draw from our last 11 games. We're not going to win though and a draw is the best we can hope for, but don't dismiss us as the same whipping boys as previous seasons. After beating us 4 times last season, I bet Livi fancied an easy game on Saturday.

Caley fans should know as much as any that you get the gloryhunters coming out for the big matches. When we played Buckie in the Scottish Cup in 2006, the crowd was 2109. I've already talked to people in England who are coming up for this game and people who havn't been to see Elgin since the 80's and 90's who are going. No one wants to miss this, it is easyily our biggest game in my lifetime (although I'm only in my early 20's). In August we took 400 to Tynecastle on a Tuesday night, so I'd fancy double that amount for the Caley game. Our average attendence for October and November is over 600, so I can't see it as being as low as 500-600 as you predict.

Come on Elgin :twothumbsup:

Hellgin Shittee are the Highland Disgrace - a total embarrassment - a fallen and dishevelled outfit - 7 points off the top of Div 3 - fecki wow. The only reason that the owd boys are coming up is the attraction and honour of playing what they still consider to be the old Caley - History erseholes - We are ICT - SPL - and you are in a completely different league. The old days we were comparable but now Hellgin are a sub standard following and team.

Enjoy your day out playing the big boys - it could be the highlight of your feckin season - the sooner ya hit the Highlnd Leaue the better.

Hellgin Shittee are the Highland Disgrace - a total embarrassment - a fallen and dishevelled outfit - 7 points off the top of Div 3 - fecki wow. The only reason that the owd boys are coming up is the attraction and honour of playing what they still consider to be the old Caley - History erseholes - We are ICT - SPL - and you are in a completely different league. The old days we were comparable but now Hellgin are a sub standard following and team.

Enjoy your day out playing the big boys - it could be the highlight of your feckin season - the sooner ya hit the Highlnd Leaue the better.

Hmm, you seem a bit confused mate, one second your ICT and the next your Caley. I thought people who refer to the old Caley are "history eresholes", yet you do it in the next sentence :laugh:

You'll always be Caley to us, it wasn't a merger with Thistle, it was a takeover.

We've already knocked out one of Scotland's franchise clubs, it would be great to do it to another :wave:

ICT and Caley and Thistle are one and the same you ignorant Moray ersehole. The only sentence involved is the one that your parents inflicted on you and the evident curse of being stoopid :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

You are so pathetic and really dont have a scooby about the history - try and read up on it before you embarass yerself again. :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

O2B :thumbup:

And one minute you say it was a franchise the next its a takeover. DOH :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

• Disagree 3

ICT and Caley and Thistle are one and the same you ignorant Moray ersehole. The only sentence involved is the one that your parents inflicted on you and the evident curse of being stoopid :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

I don't live in Moray.

You were the one who pulled up Elgin fans for thinking ICT and Caley were the same :rolleyes: For the record, there not. Caledonian Football Club died in 1994. My point is Elgin fans still see ICT as Caley as Caley contributed 70% of the assets, 80% of the membership, and 90% of the fund-raising capacity during the merger, which is much more of a takeover than a merger.

It was a takeover of Thistle that lead to the Franchise of ICT being created, cant quite see why you couldn't understand that's what I was saying :doh:

I don't want to change this into a Caley vs Thistle debate anyway, as it's not my place. The basic point I was trying to make is Elgin fans still see ICT as Caley and we are well aware the rivalry is not returned on ICT's part, but we don't care.

This is a massive game for us and I can't wait. Come on Elgin :twothumbsup:

Edited by Elginfan

I don't live in Moray.

You were the one who pulled up Elgin fans for thinking ICT and Caley were the same :rolleyes: For the record, there not. Caledonian Football Club died in 1994. My point is Elgin fans still see ICT as Caley as Caley contributed 70% of the assets, 80% of the membership, and 90% of the fund-raising capacity during the merger, which is much more of a takeover than a merger.

It was a takeover of Thistle that lead to the Franchise of ICT being created, cant quite see why you couldn't understand that's what I was saying :doh:

I don't want to change this into a Caley vs Thistle debate anyway, as it's not my place. The basic point I was trying to make is Elgin fans still see ICT as Caley and we are well aware the rivalry is not returned on ICT's part, but we don't care.

This is a massive game for us and I can't wait. Come on Elgin :twothumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to this tie. The Caley Elgin games during the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's were always top drawer and the fans rivalry was spicy to say the least. I'm looking forward to a solid Caley victory and also seeing some old faces in the Elgin support.