FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Only an Excuse

Scotty

I've been a city lad all my life.

I thought you were from Perth? Still desperately trying for city status after 800 years.....

Only from that bitch the Queen. We have been a city ever since we were the capital of Scotland.

Perth has never been capital of Scotland. In fact this town was never called Perth until the nineteenth century. Perth was the name of the area that eventually became Perthshire. The main town was St Johnstoun. The town became known as the 'effective' capital of Scotland due to the frequent visits of the Royals to Scone palace.

The word Perth is a pictish word for wood which explains the wooden headedness of its people.

So wooden headed that you chose to live here!

St. John's Toun was the Capital not because of the Royals visits to Scone palace but because of the geographical positioning of the city. It was chosen because of it's central position given that then the main industry in Scotland was livestock. It was a market city. No matter where you were in Scotland it took the same length of time to reach St. John's Toun from anywhere else in the country to trade your livestock with others from different parts of Scotland. Yes the word Perth is an old Pictish word for wood, but also there is the understanding that the ancient Roman word for the area, 'Bertha' had a part to play.

Anyway this was the capital of Scotland.

Edited by Coggiebob

I actually do like Perth. Well to be honest, I do like Perth, in the last week in July, for the 2 day horserace meeting. Always been very profitable couple of days! Funniest gig also there. Abba tribute band(wife likes them) playing at racecourse. It rained so hard the stage and crowd area was flooded in half an hour, the band refused to play on so people just started singing and dancing in the flood.

As for OAE, watched it on SKY+ yesterday, Load of guff.

I actually do like Perth. Well to be honest, I do like Perth, in the last week in July, for the 2 day horserace meeting. Always been very profitable couple of days! Funniest gig also there. Abba tribute band(wife likes them) playing at racecourse. It rained so hard the stage and crowd area was flooded in half an hour, the band refused to play on so people just started singing and dancing in the flood.

As for OAE, watched it on SKY+ yesterday, Load of guff.

Contrary to belief, I love Inverness. I always have and always will. It does remind me of Perth in a lot of ways. They are both similarly sized places, similar sized fitba' teams and have very pretty scenery.

Only an Excuse was pitiful. Introducing the person you are about to be impersonating is cringeworthy, but necessary here as I only recognised a handful. There was very little distinction in Scottish accents, a feat beyond him it seems, and the jokes were bland and as cutting as a hot knife through a brick. It needs new faces, new writers, and a lot lot more wit, cahoonies, and originality.

Only an Excuse was pitiful. Introducing the person you are about to be impersonating is cringeworthy, but necessary here as I only recognised a handful. There was very little distinction in Scottish accents, a feat beyond him it seems, and the jokes were bland and as cutting as a hot knife through a brick. It needs new faces, new writers, and a lot lot more wit, cahoonies, and originality.

It just needs to be scrapped. Full stop.

I thought you were from Perth? Still desperately trying for city status after 800 years.....

Only from that bitch the Queen. We have been a city ever since we were the capital of Scotland.

Perth has never been capital of Scotland. In fact this town was never called Perth until the nineteenth century. Perth was the name of the area that eventually became Perthshire. The main town was St Johnstoun. The town became known as the 'effective' capital of Scotland due to the frequent visits of the Royals to Scone palace.

The word Perth is a pictish word for wood which explains the wooden headedness of its people.

St. John's Toun was the Capital not because of the Royals visits to Scone palace but because of the geographical positioning of the city. It was chosen because of it's central position given that then the main industry in Scotland was livestock. It was a market city. No matter where you were in Scotland it took the same length of time to reach St. John's Toun from anywhere else in the country to trade your livestock with others from different parts of Scotland. Yes the word Perth is an old Pictish word for wood, but also there is the understanding that the ancient Roman word for the area, 'Bertha' had a part to play.

So the herders from Wick and Caithness etc took the same time to reach here as those from Stirling?

Yes I chose to live here but back then I hadn't realised what the people were like. Takes a long time to be accepted in this town. A town fulll of old cronies who found Ann Summers to be distasteful. A town that objects to adding a bit of colour to shop fronts. A town whose football fans sit on their hands throughout the match in the least atmospheric ground in the country.

delusions of grandeur - a delusion (common in paranoia) that you are much greater and more powerful and influential than you really are - Pathological narcissism is a life-long pattern of traits and behaviours which signify infatuation and obsession with one's self to the exclusion of all others and the egotistic and ruthless pursuit of one's gratification, dominance and ambition.

:rolleyes:

delusions of grandeur - a delusion (common in paranoia) that you are much greater and more powerful and influential than you really are - Pathological narcissism is a life-long pattern of traits and behaviours which signify infatuation and obsession with one's self to the exclusion of all others and the egotistic and ruthless pursuit of one's gratification, dominance and ambition.

:rolleyes:

Is that a self diagnosis ?

So the herders from Wick and Caithness etc took the same time to reach here as those from Stirling?

Yes I chose to live here but back then I hadn't realised what the people were like. Takes a long time to be accepted in this town. A town fulll of old cronies who found Ann Summers to be distasteful. A town that objects to adding a bit of colour to shop fronts. A town whose football fans sit on their hands throughout the match in the least atmospheric ground in the country.

What about the herders from Berwick?

Perth's major problem now regarding investment is because you can reach any major city within an hour.

Your point about the crowd on Sunday is laughable! When we were up at Inverness earlier in the season we couldn't hear a peep from you whereas we generated an good vocal atmosphere. This could be said about any game that a fan travels to away from home. It's the home games of any team that fail to generate noise! Plus it must be a rarity coming to a ground that is covered at all levels!

Edited by Coggiebob

Would that be Berwick, England

Listen, I know you're not daft. We are talking when Berwick was part of Scotland! Berwick was one of the most important places that passed back and forth time and again because of it's marketable position for trade across the North Sea. Thus being the reason that the two nations fought violently over it.

Listen, I know you're not daft. We are talking when Berwick was part of Scotland! Berwick was one of the most important places that passed back and forth time and again because of it's marketable position for trade across the North Sea. Thus being the reason that the two nations fought violently over it.

Your no wrong. Berwick actually changed hands some 13 times between the 12th and 15th centuries but has been in English control since 1482. The droving of animals didn't come about till around the early 17th century when James 6th and 1st granted free passage across the lands of Scotland and England. It wasnt till the 18th century that lands were given up to large scale animal farming.

• Agree 1

Your no wrong. Berwick actually changed hands some 13 times between the 12th and 15th centuries but has been in English control since 1482. The droving of animals didn't come about till around the early 17th century when James 6th and 1st granted free passage across the lands of Scotland and England. It wasnt till the 18th century that lands were given up to large scale animal farming.

Valid point Alex. Would this be the time that Dunfermline was capital then?

Although I do think you get my point about Perth being a central market city. You know fine well I was on about fair travelling distances for all given Perth's central position in Scotland. They do say that Pitlochry is the most geographically central part of the country and that is only 25 miles from Perth.

Robbie Fowler has really settled in Perth hasnt he ?

It's yellow lines at the sides of our roads.

And they dont mean nothing to Perth folk. Yellow lines are treated like red traffic lights. Just ignore them.

Anyway, as someone else asked earlier, what do you do for a living Bob.

Robbie Fowler has really settled in Perth hasnt he ?

It's yellow lines at the sides of our roads.

And they dont mean nothing to Perth folk. Yellow lines are treated like red traffic lights. Just ignore them.

Anyway, as someone else asked earlier, what do you do for a living Bob.

I work in construction, I'm 30, I have short dark hair and attend most of the Saints and Scotland games. I also like walks in the park as well as romantic meals out and cosy quiet nights in. Anything else Alex? I would've thought this would have been on a chat section. I'm blushing. :blush:

• Agree 1