FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Games until the split

Tichy_Blacks_Back

If there is one thing that is predictable it is that the results are going to be unpredictable. This week in the Predictor league only 8 out of 126 predictions got the correct score - thats about 1 in 16 being correct. Given that there are only 16 possible scores where neither team scores 4 or more it just goes to show that thecollective wisdom of the pundits in the predictor league is no better than choosing scores at random.

At the start of the season I said I'd be happy for us to finish 11th. I'll stick my neck out and predict we'll finish somewhere between 4th and 10th. That means that as far as I'm concerned, taking the season as a whole its been a good season.

I dont like predicting us to lose!

Despite the defeat last weekend, we are still one of only five clubs to have a positive goal difference. As pointed out in another post, this may be crucial should we tie with points.

It is still all to play for and we can still be masters of our own destiny. The loss may have been a knock but surely it should be considered a means by which TB can encourage the team to greater effort, rather than being a prediction of what is yet to come.

None of these teams are invincible, not are they significantly better than us. DU has a particularly hard run coming up and we can take advantage of that. Motherwell may well have their tails up after the victory over Celtic, but you can only judge each game as it comes.

C'mon the Caley Jags! ictscarf.gif

we will do well to finish 10th. top six what a joke

A bit harsh :annoyed:

This will be the final table

Celtic

Rangers

Hearts

Dundee Utd

Kilmarnock

Aberdeen

Motherwell

Hibernian

St Johnstone

ICT

St Mirren

Hamilton

dougal

Last night's result (and game) both shockers - 4 pts out of 12 so far is not top 6 form - the club really does need a big crowd and a big attitude change on Saturday if any lingering hopes are to be maintained of not having to play Hamilton again this season. Not sure how many who witnessed last night's inept performance might decide to just give it a miss and seek some counselling instead.

The most disappointing thing for me is the players' response - if we are getting beaten in these games after giving it everything then I think the majority would accept that but there appears to be no spark about the team. I am not sure how much each league place is worth to the club but any budgeting for next season should be based on being 10th as I still believe we are better team than both St.Mirren and Hamilton but that doesn't really say much.

There is still another 15 pts to be played for before the split but after last night's performance I am not sure where the next point will come from.

The interesting thing is the next 5 games are against 5 of the current top 6 teams so the club has the chance to show everybody how we would perform if we were in the top 6 - I eagerly await the team's response on Saturday....though it must be said more in hope than faith this morning.... :ictscarf:

February

St.Mirren (A) 3-3 D

St.Johnstone (H) 2-0 W

Hibs (A) 2-0 L

March

Dundee United (H) 0-2 L

Motherwell (H)

Dundee Utd (A)

April

Celtic (H)

Kilmarnock (A)

Hearts (H)

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

4 points from 9 in February, 3 points from 9 in March (P6 - W2 D1 L3 - 7 points from 18) but still in the hunt for 6th place. So how many of the last nine points will we need to make it?

I think we will probably need 6 points from the 9 available if we are to have a realistic chance of making the top 6 - but could be as few as 5. A big ask but the type of challenge the players should be relishing. Personally I still can't quite believe we still have a chance to make the top 6 but it is good for the final pre-split games that the SPL still has 5 teams with a chance of grabbing that last position.

Anything from today's game is a bonus but I do believe we can take full points from Killie and Hearts in the last two games. It will be great for the club if we can go into the last home game before the split against Hearts meaning a victory would seal it....here's hoping....

February

St.Mirren (A) 3-3 D

St.Johnstone (H) 2-0 W

Hibs (A) 2-0 L

March

Dundee United (H) 0-2 L

Motherwell (H) 3-0 W

Dundee Utd (A) 1-0 L

April

Celtic (H)

Kilmarnock (A)

Hearts (H)

we will do well to finish 10th. top six what a joke

A bit harsh :annoyed:

This will be the final table

Celtic

Rangers

Hearts

Dundee Utd

Kilmarnock

Aberdeen

Motherwell

Hibernian

St Johnstone

ICT

St Mirren

Hamilton

dougal

I realise you always love to be contraversial dougal but by my reckoning, in order for Motherwell and St Johnstone and Dundee U to be in the positions you'd like two out of three of them need to win two games. Considering St J have Rangers and Celtic as well as DU then I cant see them going above us. DU away to rangers today then away to Motherwell and home to St J I'd be inclined to think St J will not pick up the points and Killie will have the better chance of the fourth spot.

I realise you always love to be contraversial dougal but by my reckoning, in order for Motherwell and St Johnstone and Dundee U to be in the positions you'd like two out of three of them need to win two games. Considering St J have Rangers and Celtic as well as DU then I cant see them going above us. DU away to rangers today then away to Motherwell and home to St J I'd be inclined to think St J will not pick up the points and Killie will have the better chance of the fourth spot.

38 games Alex. The season doesn't end at the split. You staring out to sae again? :tongueincheek:

A few people that Ive spoken to are happy that we haven't been relegation candidates in our first year back in the SPL.

Although a top six is still a possibility and I think we will have to see what fate has in store for the mid week fixtures. If United win then I think ICT will definitely need us in Kilmarnock on Saturday.

After St Johnstone's loss to Gers last night, i think it's safe to say it's between ourselves and 'Well for the final top 6 place now.

I can't see Hibs beating Celtic, which obviously they need to do, and I can see it being a close game between St Mirren and Aberdeen - and even if aberdeen win, they've got a 9-goal difference to make up with motherwell.

IF Motherwell slip up tonight to Dundee United, then I think top 6 is ours for the taking.

Who knows really - it's a funny old game, isnt it

Motherwell have won 2-1 so for us to beat them to the top 6 slot we need them to lose to Hearts and then get 7 points from the next 3 games. Possible but it is out of our hands now. If Motherwell get a draw we will need 3 straight wins. If they win its all over. With St Mirren winning Hamilton are all but down and with Dundee Utd losing Hearts are all but assured of 3rd. Once the top six make up is finally decided there will now only be which of the OF wins the title as anything worthwhile to play for. Serious anticlimax to the season unless Hearts can do us a big favour by beating Motherwell and rolling over against us.

Can see us dropping several more places before the end of the season. Our post Xmas form has been awful. Still staying up = job done.

Going to be a busy summer for the management team as they'll need to cut the deadwood from the squad & unearth several bargain basement gems

Guest Mahonio

Can see us dropping several more places before the end of the season. Our post Xmas form has been awful. Still staying up = job done.

Going to be a busy summer for the management team as they'll need to cut the deadwood from the squad & unearth several bargain basement gems

Regarding the bit in bold: I am certain Tel and Mo are working on this as well as possibly the players as to he wants to sell/release. By the way Kencar, do you mean "basement gems" like Dundee Utd (Douglas from QP) and Hearts (Stevenson from Ayr) or more like what we did when signing Hayes and co? I think there are several good players from clubs down South or even Ireland who have players who could do a job in SPL, won't name names though as that is unfair on the players and club that they currently play for :wink:.

Edited by Mahonio

As they say the big woman is not quite singing yet but she is warming up....

Three points on Saturday is a must if we are to have any chance of making the top 6 and I think we can do it - then it only leaves those two easy home games to get out of the way :rolleyes:

I see even Rooney has dropped off the SPL goalscorers table on the BBC site for the first time in a long while - we could do with him being back on it come Saturday evening.... :ictscarf:

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back