FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Greatest Modern Invention

Tug

Watching a recording on Sky+ tonight and it got me to thinking

what do you think is the greatest modern invention ?

for me sky+ is hard to beat. the fact that it can factor in schedule time changes etc etc amazes me and it is brilliant when the wife wants to watch some rubbish at the same time as something i want to watch is on. i would say the internet is a very close second on the basis that as yet i dont know of anyone that has found a way to make sky plus work for them for illgotten gains but the interrnet is rife with that

Without a doubt the greatest modern invention is the microprocessor which controls mostly anything electrical/electronic and led to the internet, it's creators didn't realise what a collosal thing they had created.

Boyles Law means it's getting faster and cheaper every year and who knows where the information revolution will see us in fifty or a hundred years time?

Without a doubt the greatest modern invention is the microprocessor which controls mostly anything electrical/electronic and led to the internet, it's creators didn't realise what a collosal thing they had created.

I would agree with that .... so many things would not exist without it, virtually every mundane appliance has some form of microprocessor in it, life-saving medical equipment relies on it, not to mention all our favourite gadgets that are overflowing with them ....

I was going to say the Internet, but this choice fits so much better as it encompasses almost everything else you could choose .... besides, the Internet isnt really modern any more .... ArpaNet is from the 60s ! .... Would we really have embraced it if it stayed as its long form name of the "Intergalactic Computer Network"

Boyles Law means it's getting faster and cheaper every year

Don't you mean Moore's Law? I seem to remember Boyle's Law was about expansion of gases.

Going back a bit here, mind!

That's it, Moores law. Consider me entering denmentia. For some reason I can't edit my post. :laugh:

central heating

washing machines & dishwashers

electric power showers

stop laffin, young whipper-snappers, these things are vital, new gadets to oldies :twothumbsup:

Central Heating.....even ignoring some of the systems used by the Greeks and Romans, "modern" central heating where hot water is pumped around a building in order to heat it has been about since the early 1700's.

washing machines & dishwashers......first washing machine patent was issued in 1691.

electric power shower.......first one seems to be credited to someone in 1868.

Boyles Law means it's getting faster and cheaper every year

Don't you mean Moore's Law? I seem to remember Boyle's Law was about expansion of gases.

Going back a bit here, mind!

That's it, Moores law. Consider me entering denmentia. For some reason I can't edit my post. :laugh:

Moores law dates back to the 60's, so isn't new....it's also predicted that it will have run it's time and no longer be applicable in the next 5 to 10 years.

Central Heating.....even ignoring some of the systems used by the Greeks and Romans, "modern" central heating where hot water is pumped around a building in order to heat it has been about since the early 1700's.

washing machines & dishwashers......first washing machine patent was issued in 1691.

electric power shower.......first one seems to be credited to someone in 1868.

and

Moores law dates back to the 60's, so isn't new....it's also predicted that it will have run it's time and no longer be applicable in the next 5 to 10 years.

You're a right bundle of fun tonight CaleyD!!

:rolleyes:

Small condominiums otherwise known as condoms. :smile:

Electric everything..

And of course, the one item that nobody has yet referred to--the CAR.

Twitter and Facebook--Enables instant communication and therefore so dynamic that they can easily start a revolution ,induce civil wars, levelling of playing fields by taking dictators down a peg or two and so on and so forth.

The atomic bomb (nuclear fusion).

Aircraft. The development of rockets to the moon and beyond.

Where does :slapme: it all end ?

There's some who date back back to the sixties getting bigger and slower. :nanananana:

There's some who date back back to the sixties getting bigger and slower. :nanananana:

You should try the ICT FFIT Course, won't make you any younger, but will make you smaller and faster :twothumbsup:

didny realise i'd to fickin' research the history of domestic electrical appliances before posting !!

It's OK, women don't need to know the history of domestic appliances, just where the "on" switch is.

Edited by Yngwie

Parent and Child Parking Bays!

Hold it, hold it - let's get the reference books out.......ah yes. And yes indeed - according to National Geographic, i think you'll find that Parent and Child Parking Bays first came to light in Biblical times when a wee baby boy was placed in a basket that floated doon the watter. Sure enough it parked safely in a wide bay, with plenty of room for people to manoeuvre round to unload the precious occupant without harm or injury.

Always check your facts...:lol01:

Parent and Child Parking Bays!

If you can get into one. Usually used by 4x4 and van drivers who are, "just popping in for a minute" or by generally lazy barstewards with no thought for a parent struggling with a couple of kids and trolley full of shopping!!.