FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ideas to increase the crowds

ict247

Perhaps ex-jags are staying away , lets face it.... the Club is often refered to as Caley , ICTFC play at Caleys home , and the playing strip (a total insult to all former Inverness Thistle supporters ) is pretty much Caleys traditional playing colours.

Wasn't aware that Caledonian FC played at TCS must have missed that.

ETA - my understanding is that it wasn't an even merger with Caley FC 'bringing more to the table' including a greater number of fans so it's not surprising that it is more Caley than Thistle. Though Caley were my wee team (sadly I was was current bun in my yoof) at the time this all happened when I was 13 so it doesn't really bother me at all.

Your no wrong fraz......it was a blatant takeover. They took over our players and got rid of them. They took over our ground and got rid of it..........But never fear.....the red and black will come back.

Crowds are dropping all over the UK and Europe and it's pretty obvious to me that the problem is money, not just the cost of the match ticket but the travel and everything else that goes with it.

Since things started to bite I haven't been able to make it up to a game for 3 or 4 years now. I imagine there's many like me who'd love to be there every week, whether the team are winning and 2nd in the league or not, but it ain't gonna happen in the current climate. 

So if we make it to a Hampden final this year and I can make it up the road for just that match, please don't slag me off, or any others in a similar position, as floaters or glory-hunters. Just be happy that there are more there that week to swell the numbers and the coffers of the club, and be grateful if you are in the fortunate position of being able to get to a game every week. 

• Agree 3

The reason crowds are down is because of football on TV, its a global phenomenon of the past 12-15 years.

Theres clubs in the far east who struggle because of the EPL ffs.  All clubs in the UK suffer from it no matter what their size, there's clubs in the English Prem itself who play in towns and cities where the local fans are outnumbered by fans of the top clubs.  In years to come even the Old Firm will suffer because of it, eventually the remote fans of the Old Firm in Scotland will soon be following Arsenal, United, Liverpool etc from the sofa.

Satellite TV, the internet, more people being nomadic for work or education;  these things have all contributed to people having no identity with the towns or communities they grew up in. 

A Liverpool fan in Inverness will use a Liverpool FC message board much like this one we use for our club, they will interact with other fans from all over the world.  They will watch every game on TV or online, they will feel a stronger connection to that club and those people than any of the local "sh1te" as they'd call it.  Lots of us might not call them real football fans, not just because they dont goto many games (if any) but because of the popstar like worship of the millionaires swanning about the park that couldn't give a **** how many people are watching.  The fans of these clubs will simply dismiss us lot out of hand, they laugh at us for supporting a team that cant even afford a one million pound player.

I've no idea what its like in Scotland now but there used to be a blanket coverage of the Old Firm in the printed national press, every pointless story or photo was talked about, the fans all over Scotland would lap it up.  As the printed press thankfully dies a death, you'll find more and more taking their hit of football chat from the internet, where there are no borders and there's a real time feed of all the latest soap-operas each top EPL club churns out.

Having said all that, I'm all for people broadening their horizons, even if its just virtually.  We shouldn't kid ourselves with talk of reduced ticket prices, access or whatever, theres not a thing we could ever do to make it more appealing or cheaper to watch ICT than it is to watch the best clubs in the world while sat by the fireplace or from a bar stool.

• Agree 3

That doesn't mean there's no hope at all though, there are other ways football clubs can make money like in any business.

Clubs could make long term investments in real estate like St Johnstone have (or used to have?), they've been able to fund a team way above their attendance levels for years because of good management.

If holding a season ticket meant a fan was able to get discounted meals, gym memberships, flights, cinema tickets etc etc  then its the sort of investment that people would find a hell of a lot more appealing, as they wouldnt have to attend every week to get the full value of the ticket.

Hell theres no reason a club like ICT couldnt own the gym, the restaurant, the sports bar etc etc themselves.  I'm pretty sure theres clubs all over Europe with setups like that.

The only way to make money for the club for free is to call upon the fans to bring more people in, that clearly isnt working as most ICT fans are pretty apathetic when it comes to legwork at the best of times.

Satellite TV, the internet, more people being nomadic for work or education;  these things have all contributed to people having no identity with the towns or communities they grew up in.

True, sadly. Towns and villages up here are filling up with people who want 'qualily of life' but have no real connection with the place. In my wee village it's the same stalwarts that are always there at whatever happens to be going on and I don't see it's a lot different at the TCS (but I think I'll exclude Butcher from that category).

I've lost count of how many 'mates' I've tried (and failed) to get to come to the game this afternoon and you wouldn't believe the blank looks I've got when I showed some of them Derek Adams Team Talk. Well actually you probably would. Most of them (even more sadly) have no conception of football's part in making Saturday (or Boxing Day) what it is. The whole thing about a football game being an occasion is completely lost on them.  For the few 'occasionals' who do decide to come today, I desperately hope that the boys put on a show and give Midden a doing, and there's more of the same atmosphere in the North Stand that there was against Dundee.

Nothing to do with this post, but I remember supporting Huddersfield Town as a kid and some of my best ever memories were from the terracing at Leeds Road (terracing - note). As 13 year olds we used to get the Subbuteo out, tear up bits of newspaper and recreate the Town V Luton game in the snow with an orange ball in front of 2,000 fans when Dennis Clarke tried a back pass and it stuck in the snow allowing Luton to score and go on to win 2-1. Happy days.

For me, Christmas Day 2012 was something to have get out of the way before the real highlight. If I had my way, any males seen out at the Boxing Day sales this afternoon should be named and shamed in Friday's Courier.

Edited by NormaStitz
  • Agree 2

I dont think its a major concern this season when the manufacturer is churning out a high quality product.

Local derby matches, matches live on tv and a cup run are excellent advertising when the finished article is of good quality. Also the club invests their time with local schools etc.

At the minute the club is really selling its self.

Have we reached market saturation for  ICT, not really as we are currently reaching out to different customers.

I have an idea though for raising the profile between the season drawing to an end, the sale of season tickets and the start of the season.

I was in a sport shop recently and was asked if I would like a bag when buying some gear, immediately the attendant reached for a robust bag, which would have lasted a good while, I just went for the free one, it still advertised their shop though,  we could actually do the same.

My suggestion would be to produce ICT bags with different designs on them, also run a competition for primary schools and secondary schools  to create a design (with plenty of runner up prizes) announce the competition early May  and have it concluded  by the time school finishes,

The schools gets some recognition for having the best pupils for designing a bag, include the school on the bag.

The designers get something in return.

The whole event raises the profile of ICT at a time when Season tickets are going on sale.

ICT sell the bags and advertise themselves. 

Sizes?  If its too big, (Tesco large style) it will  sit in the boot of a car and only be on display in a trolley for 100 yds between a till and car again.

All  bag designs have ICT logos on main surface area,  ICT fc vertically down the slits  front and back and  bag sponsors at bottom.

Sizes?  A4 gift bag cardboard, A3 size sturdy plastic, which also includes comp winners and a robust bag, size between A2 and A3 for shopping. 

Before people spend thier hard earned cash, the match day experience has to be improved. I acknowledge the hard work already in place but the findementals have to improve. Things like better PA system to hear what's being said,better motivational music, HT entertainment to involve crowd. ICT could learn a lot from any other SPL club who seem to do this as matter of course.

For the third home match in a row the gents toilets in the Main Stand North end h

ad no hand towel paper in the dispensers at 2.45pm! That is very poor and reflects the sloppy attitude towards fans. 

The last two homes games had no bookies in place, this is probably some kind of contractural issue but a notice to fans advising when this well used facility is to be restored would seem a simple thing to do.

As far as I know no attendance was announced today and no man of the match. Yet another sloppy, couldn't care about the fans attitude.

Each of the above may help fans experience.

On another post recently I suggested letting all season ticket holders of other clubs in the SPL or SFA 3 divisions into our games for half price. Even if we managed to get 100 County fans in at £10 then that would have added a grand to the income. Exceptions would be made for games against Celtic for example.

• Agree 1