FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

League Cup Semi Final v. Hearts Build Up

Ticket sales might be disappointing, but here's a question - how many times since we first made it to the SPL 9 years ago have we taken 2,000 fans to a game that was further than Dingwall?

Challenge Cup final in 2009? I can't think of any others.

No doubt we could mobilise far greater numbers if it was Hampden, and especially if it was in THE cup, but for now we'll have to make do with quality rather than quantity.

Edited by Yngwie
  • Agree 1

Ticket sales might be disappointing, but here's a question - how many times since we made it to the SPL have we taken 2,000 fans to a game that was further than Dingwall?

Challenge Cup final in 2009? I can't think of any others.

No doubt we could mobilise far greater numbers if it was Hampden, and especially if it was in THE cup, but for now we'll have to make do with quality rather than quantity.

Agreed!

I dont get that argument, not saying it isnt true, but the distance between travelling to Easter Rd or going to Hampden is almost the same as is the ease of getting there, so see no real reason why location should be a factor. Yes the Scottish cup is (slightly) more prestigious due to European qualification as a prize, however this is still a national cup competition and a semi final appearance, if this is cited as a driving reason, then I assume these absent fans wouldnt celebrate ICT winning the League cup as its not as prominant a tournament?

Hampden is Hampden, the national stadium, which we haven't been to for 9 years, whereas Easter Rd is a ground we go to twice a season.

And the Scottish Cup simply has a much higher profile than the League Cup, especially for Inverness football fans who for decades have looked forward to it as a highlight of the season.

I agree with Yngwie. It is not a national cup. Its a league cup only open to SPL and SFL clubs. It is a long way for many fans to travel on a cold miserable january and they aren't going to make the effort. Its also costly for many. Many who dont travel will go to every home game though which cant always be said for many who are complaining. Maybe if this semi was played in April or May we'd have a bigger turnout but as it is I think close on 2000 to an away fixture, regardless of competition, is an excellent turnout.

And looking at it another way, Hearts will be taking less than their typical home support for a trip just a few miles across the city. We'll be taking about 2/3rds of our home support for a long journey in the middle of winter, so it doesn't compare too badly.

Looking at it another way, we took more than 3 times our then average home support to each of our Scottish Cup semi finals but can manage only a multiple of less than 1 on Saturday.

Disappointing in my book especially when the team is going so well.

Just as disappointing, given that income from the two semis is pooled and split 4 ways, is that the greatest fans in the world are displaying their usual loyalty to the domestic game. Apparently, only roughly 13,000 tickets have been sold so far for the Hampden tie between two clubs within comfortable cycling distance from the stadium.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 1

Here we are in the build up to a cup semi and all we can do is bicker about ticket sales. Where's the talk of team and tactics. Talk of the weather even. At the moment there's about three inches of snow in my garden and still falling heavily. The A9 has been closed in both directions at Ballinluig though it may be open now. A82 closed at Drumnadrochit. Will there even be a game on to talk about?

There's no point in moaning about our support, it's been like this for years. Lots of people of my generation in inverness (I'm 32) are just happy to sit around supporting Rangers and Celtic, the idea that Caley are an alternative doesn't even occur to most people, we are seen as 'just' Caley and not to be botherd with. HOpefully things are improving among younger lads, who have grown up with us being an SPL side.

As for parking on Easter Road, quite a few of the streets off Easter Road have free parking but you'll be very lucky to get parked on them. I know you can park for free on Rossie Place but finding a space is difficult. If you fancy a walk throug Leith you could park for free at Ocean Terminal and walk up to the stadium, probably take 20 minutes or so.

Any ideas how long would it take to walk from the Edinburgh city centre to Easter Road?

Im assuming 20-25 mins, I checked google maps in the past and think it was 1.2 miles from the station, just slightly over the distance as from town to the front of TCS stadium

As for its not the Scottish cup shoite,   any professional footballer at any club in Scotland who has been knocked out of this cup would gladly change places with us any day of the week.  fact.

Im going to have a great day out this coming Saturday regardless of turnout,  we'll out sing them anyway with what weve got.

• Agree 1

Best route on foot from Waverley. Come  out of station onto Princes St. Turn right and follow A1 Regent street for about half mile where you'll reach the Regent Bar on the right side of the road. After re-fuelling cross the road and proceed down Easter Road. 300 yards along here stop for a snack at the Manna House then a few pubs down you'll come to Albion Road on the right. Take this road to the stadium. If you've time dont take this road but instead keep on going for a couple of hundred yards and you'll come to the Four in Hand pub.

Distance by this route is 1.3 miles.

There are 100 odd regulars at away games. These people I am pleased are going The other 1800 odd attending I'm not particularly bothered about as they don't make the effort any other week.

What about the 1800 to 1900 season ticket holders that provide money to the club each year and give money direct to OUR club. Do you not care about them going? ( by the way I go home and away)

• Agree 2

Will this be the lowest ever amount of away fans at the semi-final of a national competition?

Possibly will be (although Gretna and Livingston have both been in semi-finals). Its not the amout of fans that will decide who goes to Hampden so I am going to enjoy the day and let the teams decide.