FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

5 times!

Yngwie

I've just realised that, as incredible as it may seem, ICT have on 5 separate occasions been 90 minutes away from qualifying for Europe, but never managed to get the win that would have got us there.  In 3 of the 5 games we even took the lead.

2003 Scottish Cup semi-final v Dundee 0-1.  Dundee qualified as losing finalists and beat an Albanian side before going out to Perugia.

2004 Scottish Cup semi final v Dunfermline 1-1. The Pars also qualified as losing finalists and lost home and away to Hafnarfjordur from Iceland.

2004 Scottish Cup semi-final replay v Dunfermline 2-3.

2013 v Dundee Utd 1-2

2013 v County  0-1

So perhaps we ought to be used to coping with the disappointment, but the last 2 chances were the only real sore ones because we weren't the underdogs.

For the 3 cup semi-finals we were a 1st Division side and just delighted to be there and having a great day out.

I'm also not sure for which of those cup games we actually knew at the time that a win would guarantee Europe. For the Dunfermline replay we most definitely knew.

For me the Dundee Utd game was the sickener. That was the only game that we were expected to win. That was our chance.

Ifs buts and maybees.

Only our 2 last games have been mentioned,  looking deeper a draw against Perth or turning 15 of our draws into a win would have got us to 3rd.

Europes gone now  ( for this season )  how about looking back to the Motherwell game  any saying that game secured 4th place 

• Agree 1

I had no idea we had been so close on so many occasions, amazing to think we have been challenging for European football on quite a few occasions given how young our club is. Testament to how far this club has come in its short history