FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Celtic -V- Inverness CT

Scotty

How many games does it usually take us to get 10 pts on the board at the start of the season..........8-9?

2013/14 - 24th August (4 games)

-------------------------------------------------

2012/13 - 5th October (9 games)

2011/12 - 5th November (14 games)

2010/11 - 3rd October (7 games)

Also, I make it that we went 400 minutes without conceding a goal in the league since the Dundee United game at the end of last season. A club record?

I love it!!  Still on top, a draw at Celtic against a team that in no way could be called a weakened side, at least not to any real degree.

You could call them perhaps a team slightly under their best side but there was still a lot of  'money' on the field playing for them.

Very well done ICT!! The draw by all accounts, except by the commentators, was very well deserved and in some ways we were just as unlucky not to win as these biased commentators thought Celtic were. Speaking of commentators the BBC pair always seemed excited when Celtic were pressing and as usual gave a little condescending praise to '' Butcher's Team '' as they called it when ICT made a showing. Were they biased too ?? or is it just me.

Shame they got two past Brill, first one sounded to be a lucky miskick ?? He still seems to have given a good show and that will be important to him. Good day out for the side and more good experience under their belts.

Keep up the positivity   :ictscarf:        TogetherNess shines through.

Myself and my son walked back into to the city centre with various Celtic fans and there was absolutely no animosity.

Many Celtic fans expressed a real affection for ICT and the best moment was near the Galllowgate when a tic fan announced that HIV Jambos had beaten Aberdire. Huge cheers from the Tims who hate the Jambos but not as much as they hate Aberdire.

Why did we change our tactics? Every game so far we have played a high energy pressing game but we sat back today and didn't press. Charlie McGrew looked liked Beckenbauer he was given that much time on the ball.

Very disappointed with the change of tactics. Also I told my son around 5 times that we would lose a goal from our right hand side due to nobody tucking in behind the Rave. So obvious but we did nothing about it.

Having just returned from the game, let know one do a disservice to our players by suggesting this was a weak Celtic Team. Certain 'stars' were missing but the credentials of those who took their place were very impressive.

Our players worked their socks off and it is an enormous credit to them that they are the first team to take a point off Celtic at Celtic Park after Celtic achieved 13 straight league victories. The previous team to get points at Celtic Park were...........ICT. Now encourage more people to next weeks game against Hearts. That will be a very difficult game.

• Agree 1

Our bus was hit by a brick but not sure who threw it may have been a couple of kids seen standing on wall was a fair bit from the ground.I would like to think that it wasn't a Celtic fan considering when we arrived at Broxden on way to game there were Celtic fans there whose mini bus had broken down .Im sure this must be a first but showing true Highland Hospitality we offered them a lift to game and they accepted....we did take them back....I think ...good day out again and happy with draw ...

Our bus was hit by a brick but not sure who threw it may have been a couple of kids seen standing on wall was a fair bit from the ground.I would like to think that it wasn't a Celtic fan considering when we arrived at Broxden on way to game there were Celtic fans there whose mini bus had broken down .Im sure this must be a first but showing true Highland Hospitality we offered them a lift to game and they accepted....we did take them back....I think ...good day out again and happy with draw ...

Probably East End neds that are bored, neglegted and do not know any better. Unfortunately the East End has massive social problems with high youth crime rates.

It would be unfair to associate such an incident with Celtic FC  much as I despise them. Their fans were excellent towards my son and I today. Glad nobody got hurt.

All I can say is that that was the most nervy football game I've ever been to... Draw though, couldn't have asked for more at the start of the day so well done lads! Great defending again and long may it continue! Also whoever that lunatic was that chucked the brick at the bus, what an idiot. Hope everyone was alright.

Edited by HeScoresWhenHeWants

How many games does it usually take us to get 10 pts on the board at the start of the season..........8-9?

2013/14 - 24th August (4 games)

-------------------------------------------------

2012/13 - 5th October (9 games)

2011/12 - 5th November (14 games)

2010/11 - 3rd October (7 games)

Also, I make it that we went 400 minutes without conceding a goal in the league since the Dundee United game at the end of last season. A club record?

County scored against us in the final game of last season. :sad:

Lazy cut & paste of what I just posted on P&B:

Great result and probably deserved, although I was very relieved when the final whistle blew. That's as vulnerable-looking as I've seen Celtic, though, and if we had taken them on on the ground more in the second half, then I think we could have had one or two more. Someone criticised us for reverting to the long ball against Dundee Utd a couple of weeks ago, and while I don't think that was true then, it was yesterday: throughout the second half Brill was punting the ball up to the Celtic penalty area and inviting pressure straight back onto us. I doubt this was tactical - it's more likely that the team kind of defaulted to it through nervousness after going 2-0 up - but it was unnecessary, as we had been matching Celtic for skill and composure earlier in the game. Fine display from Meekings and Warren in absorbing most of the pressure, though, and I was also struck by how well Nick Ross used the ball throughout the match - he's been a bit under the radar for us this season despite starting every game, but the way he tracked back and supported Shinnie yesterday epitomised the strength of this team at the moment.

Seems mad to be criticising the team for anything after the way we have started the season, but that is the mark of how far Terry & Mo have taken us. A lack of strength in depth means we couldn't realistically challenge for the league, but at the moment our first 11 can match any team in the country football-wise, imho.

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Agree 1

Totally agree with AM's comments above re Nick Ross. He was my MOTM yesterday.

We have come to expect our back 4 to be solid this season. But I thought Raven had a hard time yesterday and struggled a bit. Warren and Meekings though have really developed into an impressive and reliable centre back pairing.

There is speculation on another thread of how much McKay is worth. It wouldn't surprise me if Meekings (at still 20 years old) becomes our most valuable player in the fullness of time.

• Agree 2

It wouldn't surprise me if Meekings (at still 20 years old) becomes our most valuable player in the fullness of time.

I said exactly the same to a couple of Celtic-supporting colleagues after the game yesterday. The name meant nothing to them, but I don't think that will be the case come the end of the season. His progress over the last year has been hugely impressive.

I enjoyed that, with the added bonus of it being my daughter's first ICTFC game! First half start was brilliant, great goal by Doran and good work at the long throw for Foran's goal. The game changed when they replaced Ledley for Kayal and he brought much more power to their midfield which made it much more easy to suck in Doran and Vincent and allow them to pressurise Raven. Their first goal was scrappy and Draper and Vincent got in a bit of a fankle, but at 2-1 Doran was denied a clear penalty. Yes he might have been looking for it and Ross was in the clear but the Celtic No5 puts the arm into his back, levers him off the ball and that's a penalty. Balde's challenge on Brill was a strange on in that it was a studs up lunge, definitely a yellow but could easily have been a red. Matthew's goal was plain good play by them. For anyone who thought Billy Mckay was lethargic yesterday, have a look who had tracked back 50 yards, tackled and set Doran off on the run for the penalty shout. No 7. Great effort from everyone, still top of the league and they're no. BTW great support for us and I thought the parkhead stewards were a great improvement on seasons past. Just stop flinging things at the bus please - I nearly sh*t myself!

• Agree 1

Decent performance from us but we were pushed deep by Celtic in the second half - I think that without Shinnie and Tudor-Jones we don't keep the ball as well, which isn't great.  However, we scored one great goal and bagged one from a set piece (as predicted by yours truly).  I definitely thought we should've had a penalty in the second half when Doran was brought down by Dick Van Diijk.

It's disappointing not to win after being 2-0 up but we didn't play as well as we did in November and gave Celtic a lot of room, you are always running a risk when you do that.

I agree with Alternative Maryhill's post, we did seem to fall deep and end up launching speculative balls forward.  Vincent looks an OK player, I don't think I've seen his best games, but he isn't the sort of carry the ball forward or to maintain possession.  It means we can end up with the ball coming straight back and that's kind of what happened in the second half, with waves of Celtic pressure.  Defensively I thought our centre halves did well but we looked a bit vulnerable down our right, Celtic got quite a few good balls in from there. 

I thought Foran, Nick Ross, Shinnie and Brill all had good games  as well.  For Celtic, Scott Brown was good I thought.  I didn't realise how big this Balde lad is, he's a unit and looked good in the air, not as good on the deck though.

Special mention for the pre-match raffle in the London Road Tavern where the prize was - a picture of the new Pope with a Celtic top photoshopped onto him

Probably East End neds that are bored, neglegted and do not know any better. Unfortunately the East End has massive social problems with high youth crime rates.

It would be unfair to associate such an incident with Celtic FC  much as I despise them. Their fans were excellent towards my son and I today. Glad nobody got hurt.

They were nice to you but you despise them? :blink:

A point i would have taken at the start of the day ... but it could have been so much more.

We deserved to be in front, no question. Celtic looked sluggish to begin with and we looked dangerous on the break with Doran hitting an absolute belter, 2-0 was a terrific position to be in, no one picked up Foran charging in at the back post and he was alert enough to pick up on the loose ball.

Celtic were pressing more and more though, they didnt create much from open play, Brill was called into action a couple of times from Tony Watt and Ambrose had a header that from my view was tipped over by the big keeper (despite Thomson giving a Goal kick) but with half time closing Mulgrews shot wasnt the greatest of hits and Deano seemed to misread the direction of the ball, the build up came from a tackle from one of our boys forcing it to Izaguirre who laid it to Mulgrew, huge chunk of luck.

We tried to batten down the hatches in the 2nd half and feed off scraps. Celtic kept pressing, especially on the wings. Matthews and Izaguirre were probably their most dangerous players. Every time they got on the ball i feared for us, their pace and crossing posed a constant threat. We werent without chances in the 2nd half, Doran was one one with the defender and had Nick making a terrific run, all he had to do was set him up for the tap in but he seemed to be going for goal and eventually ran out of steam, he was bundled over and some shouts for penalty but i found it hard to have sympathy for him...he should have passed. Vincent had a chance with a volley, im glad he tried it but he blazed it high and wide. He looked lively all game and seemed to be really enjoying the occasion of playing at a big venue.

Matthews typified his performance with a nice finish to level it up for Celtic, on reflection of their dominance it was probably a fair result. Butch brought on Watkins and Toby (probably shouldve been on earlier) to inject some freshness, Watkins tried hard to make things happen, looking forward to seeing more of him as time goes on, Toby showed some neat touches but looked a bit lost in the moment at times, he also took a speculative shot on and poor Nicks run was not picked up by him, despite being in great space. Mulgrew had a free kick in a great area that im sure left us all biting our nails, it came to nothing and soon after the final whistle went and a sense of relief flowed through my mind.

Overall i do see it as a point gained, better teams will go to Parkhead and lose. Celtic are lacking a finisher, Balde is a battering ram up top nothing more and for all the quality they have in midfield they have no one really capable of scoring freely, both goals were scored by defenders, one playing make shift midfield, says it all really.

Despite surrendering our lead i though defensively we looked good, Meekings and Warren contended with Balde well, Raven and Shinnie did their best to protect the flanks and in the end were just outdone by those extra bits of quality that extra money can buy, Brill also had a fantastic game making some great saves. Fans were terrific again, away end was well filled and despite the tension the chanting never stopped, its easy to see past difficult moment in games when you are surrounded by such great fans. 

Top of the league and still unbeaten ... roll on the Jambos next week. 

Edited by AJS
  • Agree 2