FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Semi Final Build-Up Thread Spectacular!

Renegade

Is it just me, or does anybody else have a nagging feeling that we are destined to fall short, as usual? I've lost count of the number of big games we've gone into full of confidence over the years, and completely bottled. I've almost come to expect it. The fact that its Hearts, at the same stage, at the same venue, and we are huge favourites again, just seems ominous.

Is it just me, or does anybody else have a nagging feeling that we are destined to fall short, as usual? I've lost count of the number of big games we've gone into full of confidence over the years, and completely bottled. I've almost come to expect it. The fact that its Hearts, at the same stage, at the same venue, and we are huge favourites again, just seems ominous.

I personally haven't spoken to anyone who is feeling over confident re this tbh. I am nervous (and a tad scared) about Sunday as I feel this is all Hearts have left and there's the memory of previous semi finals. Deep down tho I know we CAN do this this time. It's our turn to be the bride not the bridesmaid. History is about to be made for ICTFC!

Even if Hearts get pumped 4/5-1 tonight vs St Mirren I still wouldn't be overly confident going into Sunday. Similar to the scenario of last season this game is the make or break of our season.

The problem with last year is that I felt that we were lacking experience and of course that Billy Mckay miss is daunting to think about now but thankfully we have been given a chance at redemption and I am 100% certain Yogi has got the team prepared for the battle ahead.

Make no mistake, this is the only game that Hearts have left that could give them a big day/pay out and they will be up for this game. Last Saturday we seen what Hearts are capable at doing despite being in the position they are in. Hearts will be looking at our current form and rubbing their hands and thinking that we are there for the taking but from our perspective we are back to full fitness squad and raring to go and we now also have a manager that would most definitely want to get one over Hearts.

Ross County have been to a national final, we have not. We are living in their SHADOW when it comes to major national cups. 

Possibly, possibly, depends whether you would exchange 1 cup run and never ever reaching the quarter final, for all the cup runs we've had including 2 semis and a replay and 12 giant killings in 11 seasons since 1994...... The other 9 years we couldn't kill any giants because we were busy playing over 300 games in the SPL.

Plus if you reach a final, surely it doesn't count unless you turn up?

• Agree 3

Come short as usual? ICT's ten year rise to the SPL. Challenged for a European all season last season despite one of (if not the smallest) wage budget in the SPL. Challenging for third again this season. In the Semi finals of a major competition for the second season in a row despite the aforementioned small wage budget.

I don't like your definition of falling short!

• Agree 1

Come short as usual? ICT's ten year rise to the SPL. Challenged for a European all season last season despite one of (if not the smallest) wage budget in the SPL. Challenging for third again this season. In the Semi finals of a major competition for the second season in a row despite the aforementioned small wage budget.

It's quite obvious that he's referring to ICT's habit of getting really close to stuff and then blowing it over the years.  It's nothing to do with the club's current position in the league and the cups or any of that stuff.  ICT have had major matches to make win cups etc., and have blown it on a number occasions.  That is a fact.

There's no doubt that when it comes to semi finals we tend to fall short. Sunday is a chance to stop that trend.

Guest Mahonio

Maybe Hearts last 2 wins was a good thing as now, our fans won't underestimate them now and players will be more up for it knowing that Hearts can be dangerous.

It's quite obvious that he's referring to ICT's habit of getting really close to stuff and then blowing it over the years.  It's nothing to do with the club's current position in the league and the cups or any of that stuff.  ICT have had major matches to make win cups etc., and have blown it on a number occasions. I am a wiener. That is a fact.

Completely agree!

Ive said all along that this was not going to be easy but i think Sunday is a massive test of character for them. Yes they have more experience as a club than us but these are young boys and infact have no experience of this situation. The last two wins have been great for them but they can play with freedom as they are already down in reality. They still have hope and im sure they still believe they can stay up but it is still a big ask so what have they got lose. This on Sunday means something so although we may be classed as favourites for obvious reasons i doubt they will will have the same freedom as they have had in the league. 

Hearts recent form does make it a bit more of a nervous occasion on Sunday, but it would also make it all the more deserving should we progress to the final.

One thought that has been on my mind is the players currently one booking away from missing the final. We have quite a few at risk as shown below. Was it not the case that if we had gone through last year v. Hearts, we would've been missing 3 or 4 of our first 11 due to suspension in the final? Billy Mckay I remember would've been one.

The Hearts list is a bit more confusing, as they have played an extra round of cup fixtures due to entering at an earlier round... which I've been told means Danny Wilson is ok to play on Sunday as he needed to pick up 3 bookings to be suspended, rather than 2. Will this have an impact on the 'fight' that Hearts have been showing? Will they change a winning team?

Hopefully we get a few goals up then avoid making any silly tackles for the remainder of the game to keep a full choice team for the final :wink:

HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN F.C. JAMIE HAMILL 1 CAUTION

HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN F.C. KEVIN MCHATTIE 1 CAUTION

HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN F.C. DANIEL WILSON 1 CAUTION

HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN F.C. JORDAN MCGHEE 1 CAUTION

HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN F.C. JASON HOLT 1 CAUTION

HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN F.C. SCOTT ROBINSON 1 CAUTION

HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN F.C. RYAN STEVENSON 1 CAUTION

HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN F.C. DANIEL WILSON 1 CAUTION

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE F.C. DANIEL GERRARD DEVINE 1 CAUTION

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE F.C. DAVID HAYDN RAVEN 1 CAUTION <-------- Haydn!? :lol: 

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE F.C. ROSS DRAPER 1 CAUTION

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE F.C. GARY WARREN 1 CAUTION

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE F.C. CARL PHILIP TREMARCO 1 CAUTION

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE F.C. RICHARD FORAN 1 CAUTION

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE F.C. WILLIAM MCKAY 1 CAUTION

• Agree 1

The way I look at it this is the FIRST time that we have gone in to a MAJOR Cup Final as favourites. The only occasion that I feel that we have blown things was against Alloa. We were beaten JUST by Dundee, we took Pars to a replay and could be deemed unlucky and we missed a great chance last season but came up against a study side with a huge support behind them. I was very very DISAPPOINTED last season as I feel that we did go into that with a degree of over confidence. I don't think that it was nerves and I also feel that Butcher made some critical mistakes as well.

I feel that we are more geared up this season and will be close to full strength. And I am getting in plenty of practice and if I fall it will not be short it will be full feckin length.

I grew up reading Enid Blyton books, so I'm delighted that we are housed in the stand that Hibs rather surprisingly named after her most celebrated series, the Famous Five.  Who'd have thought that Leith folk would have been moved to pay such a tribute by those boarding school kids and their summer holiday adventures.

Hopefully we'll have plenty of jolly japes, ending of course with lashings of ginger ale.

• Agree 2

Reminds me of the days of being surrounded in the toilets at school by the big boys and they'd quiz on who you supported, with the 'prize' for a wrong answer being a beating.

"Rangers or Celtic?", "Blur or Oasis?", " Famous Five or Secret Seven?"

• Agree 1