Inverness CT -V- Celtic (Cup)

Scotty

Many congrats from a Motherwell fan. Hope you go on and win it. Great job today.

Thanks for that. Why not come to the final as a neutral ? An entertaining match likely and a day out watching two teams with no sectarian baggage in the late May sun....

• Agree 2

Not much to add about the match beyond what was already been said other than a terrific effort and a wonderful performance all round.

We did get a bit of good fortune when Celtic were denied an obvious penalty and Josh dodged bullet but how often have we been on the wrong end of dubious decisions in the past especially against the Old Firm. The most blatant Cup decision in our favour since the officials missed a 'goal' for Kilmarnock god knows how many year ago that was about a yard over the line.

A special word for Ryan Esson who, I know could have done better for their second goal, but who commanded his box and made some important saves throughout. In the absence of Brill, we have a safe pair of hands behind the defence for the rest of the season.

As I understand it, if we win the cup then, despite the fact that we will finish behind Aberdeen in the league, we will enter the Europa League a round and a fortnight later than them and one step closer to the group stages.

ICT v Liverpool on a rainy Thursday evening in Inverness anyone ?

• Agree 2

Just watched the BBC highlights on catch up.   What magnificent football by us for that winning goal.  Worthy of winning any match.

Obviously the highlights confirm that we were lucky to get away with Meekings' hand ball.  But they also show that we were denied a clear penalty too when the sub keeker clattered into the back of Ofere with the ball nowhere near.  They also show that both free kicks from which Celtic scored were soft.  I thought this at the time and the highlights confirm it. There was minimal contact by Warren for the first one.  The Celtic forward had lost control of the ball and 'bought' the free kick.  For the second one, Nick Ross clearly won the ball fairly. Neither he nor Warren deserved yellow cards.

So I have no sympathy with all the Celtic whingers. 

Onwards and upwards!

• Agree 4

Big Eddie not getting the credit he deserves on here. I thought his hold up and linking play was excellent. A real handful. He may not be deadly in front of goal but he sure tucked away our 2nd. Well done big man..........you have added to our great wee team

• Agree 6

Big Eddie not getting the credit he deserves on here. I thought his hold up and linking play was excellent. A real handful. He may not be deadly in front of goal but he sure tucked away our 2nd. Well done big man..........you have added to our great wee team

Three starts, three goals, two against Celtic. That's some record!

I thought his hold up play was pretty decent, apart from that one near the end when he trapped it further than I can pass it. The first half miss looked easier to score (from the other end of the park, admittedly), but all strikers miss them. Should have had a penalty too, but lets not be greedy, eh!

• Agree 1

Leigh Griffiths was a lucky boy to stay on the park yesterday.  Deliberately heading the ball against Meekings' hand in an attempt to get a fellow professional sent off is quite shameful :tongueincheek:

Seriously though, the ref got the decision spot on.  I accept that 99 times out of 100 the referee would have given a penalty for the handball incident but just because that is the case doesn't mean it would be the correct decision.  Remember that the handball law refers to deliberate handling of the ball which is commonly extended to holding your arms in a position which make it more likely that the ball might strike the arm/hand.  And yes, we've had these discussions before.

In the incident yesterday what is absolutely as clear as the fact that the ball struck Josh's hand, is the fact that Josh tried to get his head to the ball.  Imagine yourself in the position that Josh was standing and imagine trying to head a ball going just below your right shoulder. Try the move yourself!  As your head goes down your right arm naturally comes up. I think the ref got it spot on when you consider three crucial factors.

1.  Josh was attempting to make contact with the ball with his head.

2.  He was not holding his arm deliberately in a position which would make it more likely to block the ball.  Instead, the position of his arm was a natural consequence of his genuine attempt to head the ball.

3.  The closeness between Griffiths and Josh was such that Josh would have had no time to react to consciously withdraw his arm when he realised he would not make head contact with the ball.  Indeed he probably wouldn't have realised that the ball was going to hit his hand until it actually struck.

The only conclusion you can draw from these factors is that Josh did not deliberately handle the ball and therefore it was not a penalty.

This was a correct and courageous bit of refereeing which we should be applauding. 

Our "luck" yesterday was the fact that the referee got two crucial penalty decisions correct.  The fact that he did so meant that his failure to award us an absolutely stonewall penalty late in the game did not affect the outcome of the match.

• Agree 2

Leigh Griffiths was a lucky boy to stay on the park yesterday.  Deliberately heading the ball against Meekings' hand in an attempt to get a fellow professional sent off is quite shameful :tongueincheek:

Seriously though, the ref got the decision spot on.  I accept that 99 times out of 100 the referee would have given a penalty for the handball incident but just because that is the case doesn't mean it would be the correct decision.  Remember that the handball law refers to deliberate handling of the ball which is commonly extended to holding your arms in a position which make it more likely that the ball might strike the arm/hand.  And yes, we've had these discussions before.

In the incident yesterday what is absolutely as clear as the fact that the ball struck Josh's hand, is the fact that Josh tried to get his head to the ball.  Imagine yourself in the position that Josh was standing and imagine trying to head a ball going just below your right shoulder. Try the move yourself!  As your head goes down your right arm naturally comes up. I think the ref got it spot on when you consider three crucial factors.

2.  He was not holding his arm deliberately in a position which would make it more likely to block the ball.  Instead, the position of his arm was a natural consequence of his genuine attempt to head the ball.

3.  The closeness between Griffiths and Josh was such that Josh would have had no time to react to consciously withdraw his arm when he realised he would not make head contact with the ball.  Indeed he probably wouldn't have realised that the ball was going to hit his hand until it actually struck.

The only conclusion you can draw from these factors is that Josh did not deliberately handle the ball and therefore it was not a penalty.

This was a correct and courageous bit of refereeing which we should be applauding. 

Our "luck" yesterday was the fact that the referee got two crucial penalty decisions correct.  The fact that he did so meant that his failure to award us an absolutely stonewall penalty late in the game did not affect the outcome of the match.

I admire your attempt at logic....but now view the incident again having removed your red and blue tinted glasses....

Three starts, three goals, two against Celtic. That's some record!

I thought his hold up play was pretty decent, apart from that one near the end when he trapped it further than I can pass it. The first half miss looked easier to score (from the other end of the park, admittedly), but all strikers miss them. Should have had a penalty too, but lets not be greedy, eh!

Well said both.  Actually I don't think his miss in the first half was as bad as it first appeared.  From the highlights it is clear that his anticipation of where the ball might fall was good but that when the ball came to him it was quite quick and slightly behind him.  It was actually a more difficult chance that it seemed at first.  He had to almost scoop the ball out and it only went narrowly wide.

He also did very well for his goal.  The ball came to him agonisingly slowly with a couple of bounces and it would have been so easy in the circumstances to snatch at it.  But he had the composure to wait and then drill it low and hard.

There were some other very nice touches to his play and I think he could be a real find.

• Agree 2

Couldnt go yday which has already been stated and i dont have Sky, so it was Radio Scotland for me and Caley still put me through the ringer....

At the third goal Rankin was talking his usual nonsense when Rob Maclean burst through with GOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLL........ Seemed to take an age before he finally stated 'Raven for Caley'...

I went Apesh1t!! So much so my mother got a fright in the other room.

Its weird, wasnt even there, yet i still got all emotional at the Final whistle.

19 years this week since my first match vs Cowdenbeath at Telford Street and as much as this club sometimes gets on my nerves, i very much Love them.

• Agree 2

You forgot the tongue in cheek smiley at the end too. Honestly, anyone who has ever played football or has any knowledge of it will recognize that it was a clear penalty and that Josh knew it was going past him and did a decent job of feigning lack of intent when in truth he had every intention of blocking the ball by the only means left to him--his hand.

• Agree 1

Celtic fans are all over the internet claiming 'all the big decisions' went against them. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If anything, McLean bottled it for 90% of the game and gave the Celtic fans every single decision they appealed for. Some of the soft fouls and yellow cards being bailed out to ICT were laughable. Conversely, Celtic players were getting away with murder and should have had at least 4 or 5 more bookings. Its worth noting that Celtic's second goal came from a free-kick that was never even close to a foul.

Only one big decision went ICT's way, and it wasn't crucial. When it was all said and done, Celtic were still 1-0 up with 11 men on the park.

ICT absolutely played them off the park with some of the best passing football you'll see in this country. That's the real story.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 7

I admire your attempt at logic....but now view the incident again having removed your red and blue tinted glasses....

No, I agree with DoofersDad. More a split second reflex movement by Josh. Would also be very harsh on him for the Compliance Officer to look at (as Septic fans are calling for on other websites) and give him a red card with a two match ban. If that happens then CO should also take a look at all the dives by Septic players throughout the game, the two fouls and yellow cards that never were for the "free kicks" in the lead up to their goals and the punch in the back of Ofere's head for the penalty we never got. Sour grapes are hard to eat!!   

• Agree 2

I was surprised yesterday how many people I heard around me don't seem impressed with Ofere. Not to say they are wrong, I just think he looks good, hopefully with more to come once he really gets settled. His scoring record so far is good, and I think his size and hold up play brings something different to us. I hope he is signed up for longer, and we see more development next year.

If you compare how long it took Rooney and Mckay to settle and start scoring regularly then Ofere has hit the ground running. Not easy when you join the team over half way through the season.

• Agree 4

I too think that Ofere looks like a good signing.  I like him more everytime I see him.  Took his goal well yesterday, and got himself in the right position for one or two more.  Plus, as others have said, his hold up play is good.  When fully match fit he will be a problem for many defences.

A goal a game for the 7 matches will be just right!

Absolutely epic match. One of the best ever. What more can you ask of a match than controversy, high drama, end to end excitement, great football and five goals. Thrills, spills and no bellyaches, unless you're bad losers. Even getting their slice of luck, ICT played more fluently and often more confidently in their own game than Celtic. Kept to their passing game, and actually created more than enough chances to win the game in normal time. The winning goal was worthy of any game in any league. The close passing, running into space and finishing was as good as you'll see anywhere - Shinnie was at the heart of it, like so many of our attacking moves, and will be  missed sorely next season. But what a way to go out he has now. Ryan is really starting to look like the talent that we know he is, and has come on in leaps and bounds this season - he was revelling in the space behind the strikers. The way we never gave up, even when under pressure, and losing our lead, was magnificent. If any team deserves some silverware for their contribution to football in Scotland this season, then ICT surely do. 

• Agree 3

Many congrats from a Motherwell fan. Hope you go on and win it. Great job today.

Thanks for that. Why not come to the final as a neutral ? An entertaining match likely and a day out watching two teams with no sectarian baggage in the late May sun.... Seriously considering that. Depends if we end up in the play off might have no nerves left.....

Unfortunatley didnt make it down to the game but watched it at the Caley club , a few Celtic fans were in giving it large ! never heard a peep out of them after the game :crazy:  & fair play to the Celtic fan who came up to myself & my friend & said well done i hope you go on to win the cup  :smile:

When the team came in at night the atmosphere was brilliant ! the place was bouncing , what a night !! 

Bring on the bairns !! :ictscarf:  :ictscarf:  :ictscarf:

Edited by Fanoffooty
  • Agree 2