Ali Smith

dougiedanger

I remember playing in Dalneigh with her brothers Gordy and Andy, both slightly younger than I am, when the family were in St Valery Avenue. All I remember of Ali is that they had this wee sister. Their dad had an electrician's business with premises, I think, in the market. Their older sister Anne was above me in school, married a Maths teacher Jim MacLeod and became a dermatologist.

Think I can fill you in here Charlie and others.

The Smiths lived fours doors along from me in St Valery Avenue. The family arrived there in 1955 when these terraced houses were built. Don, Ali's father was english and worked on the hydro schemes before setting up an electrical business in town. Something, somewhat pertinent here is that I remember Gordon, eldest son, telling me his dad had the contract and installed the floodlights at Telford Street.!!!

Anyway, gone off piste a wee bit there....Ali was indeed the youngest, born in 1962 a year older than my brother and sister twins, she was at Aberdeen Uni the same time as my brother. There were five kids in the family, all carved out successful careers for themselves. In order there was Marie, Anne, Gordon, Andrew and Alison the baby.

Met Ali in town nine years ago, when she was up visiting her dad, who at the time stayed on the Black Isle, had a lovely chat and hug, hadn't seen her for goodness knows how long. She decided she would pop in to see my mother, in the very same house with her father the next day, ...... unannounced. The three of them had a lovely time talking about old times and the many neighbours and kids from days gone by.

Ali, of course it goes without saying is a successful international author and was awarded a CBE in 2015.

Edited by een

• 3 weeks later...

She even looks Invernessian !!

Scottish novelist Ali Smith has won numerous prizes for her work, including the Baileys Prize and the Goldsmiths Prize for How to be both, which was also shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize.Ali Smith was born in Inverness in 1962. She is the author of Free Love and Other StoriesLikeOther Stories and Other StoriesHotel WorldThe Whole Story and Other StoriesThe Accidental, Girl Meets Boy, The First Person and Other Stories, There but for the, ArtfulHow to be both, and Public Library and other stories. Hotel World was shortlisted for the Booker Prize and the Orange Prize and The Accidental was shortlisted for the Man Booker and the Orange Prize. How to be both won the Baileys Prize, the Goldsmiths Prize and the Costa Novel Award and was shortlisted for the Man Booker and the Folio Prize. Ali Smith lives in Cambridge and her next novel is forthcoming in 2016.

Image result for ali smith inverness