Inverness Courier

caleyboy

1 hour ago, caleyboy said:

Has anyone any idea why there are no up to date football reports?

I know we don't get great exposure but a little is better than nothing.

The club haven't held any press since 1st February...that I'm aware of.

10 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

That's my recollection as well, Don. There was no match to preview or report on the weekend just past and none to report on the weekend before that. Presumably the space has been used for things that have been taking place.

Scandalous really, if there's nothing for them to report on with ICTFC they should just leave the pages blank!!

• Funny 2

That's quite a stupid idea.  If there's nothing to report that's fine but to just leave it blank would be silly. I just hope they don't follow your idea in the summer when we won't have a match for 6 weeks. I guess there won't be any news articles at all over the summer seeing as you need a game to create news. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Facepalm 2

The Inverness Courier is 90% adverts and 10% crap. Makes good toilet paper though. :ohmy:

I mind back in the day when the old boys I worked with checked the deaths section to see who had pegged it that week! Wow that was cheery lunch break chat! 

Edited by Guest

If we are, as we are supposed to be,  a progressive football club then there should be at least weekly press releases updating behind the scenes progress on innovative developments pertaining to the club on and off the field.

Efforts should be made to stimulate interest in ICTFC in order to keep the loyal informed and to try to build up the fan base.  Do we even have a Press Officer ? or spokes person ??

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, bughtmaster said:

If we are, as we are supposed to be,  a progressive football club then there should be at least weekly press releases updating behind the scenes progress on innovative developments pertaining to the club on and off the field.

Efforts should be made to stimulate interest in ICTFC in order to keep the loyal informed and to try to build up the fan base.  Do we even have a Press Officer ? or spokes person ??

What happened to Gordon Fyfe?

50 minutes ago, Row S said:

The Courier spends more time claiming to be the saviour of the city centre and unfairly shaming property owners, so not enough time for covering football matters.

There are other sports to cover in the area - with performers operating at a higher level than in football into the bargain. :wink:

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Just now, DoofersDad said:

But not ones which regularly attract crowds of 2,000 +.  I'm with Bughtmaster on this one.

That was the response I expected, so let me indulge in a little more Devil's Advocacy by first pointing out that crowd levels are just one of the things that are well documented as being in freefall here so it's interesting to see the Achilles heel actually used as a defence. The crowd issue at the Caledonian Stadium has been one of decline which in turn has been one of the main causes of recent financial difficulties. Then there's the unfortunate issue of relegation to the second tier while another club in the immediate vicinity, which has large numbers of its supporters based in Inverness, remains in the Premiership.

There therefore also emerges the case, given their league status and support levels in this city, for an increase in coverage of Ross County, alongside the performers who are operating at World, Commonwealth and European levels in other sports which are rapidly improving.

Before I stop holding the Bunsen burner to the lump of sulphur, I'll also suggest that maybe it's something of a Scottish thing where the lion's share of media coverage goes and is expected to go to a sport which we are not actually very good at. :hiding::shithitsfan:

• Facepalm 2

32 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

That was the response I expected, so let me indulge in a little more Devil's Advocacy by first pointing out that crowd levels are just one of the things that are well documented as being in freefall here so it's interesting to see the Achilles heel actually used as a defence. The crowd issue at the Caledonian Stadium has been one of decline which in turn has been one of the main causes of recent financial difficulties. Then there's the unfortunate issue of relegation to the second tier while another club in the immediate vicinity, which has large numbers of its supporters based in Inverness, remains in the Premiership.

There therefore also emerges the case, given their league status and support levels in this city, for an increase in coverage of Ross County, alongside the performers who are operating at World, Commonwealth and European levels in other sports which are rapidly improving.

Before I stop holding the Bunsen burner to the lump of sulphur, I'll also suggest that maybe it's something of a Scottish thing where the lion's share of media coverage goes and is expected to go to a sport which we are not actually very good at. :hiding::shithitsfan:

What you say has some truth in it but you seem to be missing the point I am trying to make here. It is up to the Club to do the work and make the news interesting enough to get the media more  onside whilst at the same time as giving the Fans the feel good factor from seeing that the are supporting a newsworthy and appreciative organisation

Bye the way fingers can be burned by playing with Bunsen burners...........do be careful.  

Edited by bughtmaster

Whether ICT's crowds are falling is neither here nor there.  The crowds watching ICT are still significantly higher than those watching any other sport and there is a correspondingly greater number who don't regularly attend but have an interest in reading about the team.  Of course, when athletes in other sports have success at a high level then it is good to read about it, but what these athletes get up to when not in these major competitions is of little interest to all but a pretty small number of folk.  Using your argument in another context, you might argue that the film review section  should use more space reviewing some foreign "art" movie with a single showing at Eden Court and which just happens to have won a prize at the Cannes film festival, than the latest Bond movie with multiple screen showings at Vue.  

As for County.  If anyone wants to read about them they can buy the "Ross-shire" (or Caravanning Monthly).

• Agree 5

2 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

Whether ICT's crowds are falling is neither here nor there.  The crowds watching ICT are still significantly higher than those watching any other sport and there is a correspondingly greater number who don't regularly attend but have an interest in reading about the team.  Of course, when athletes in other sports have success at a high level then it is good to read about it, but what these athletes get up to when not in these major competitions is of little interest to all but a pretty small number of folk.  Using your argument in another context, you might argue that the film review section  should use more space reviewing some foreign "art" movie with a single showing at Eden Court and which just happens to have won a prize at the Cannes film festival, than the latest Bond movie with multiple screen showings at Vue.  

As for County.  If anyone wants to read about them they can buy the "Ross-shire" (or Caravanning Monthly).

Using the numbers argument also, of course, concedes that Football would need to give up much of its space to Bowls and Angling. What this discussion does raise, though, is whether the club - which, unlike a newspaper which has an obligation to all, only has an obligation to those who are interested in it - should be doing more either to create its own coverage or to direct the attention of its supporters to whatever already exists.

As for County, I'm not sure it's possible to be quite as sanguine about them as that given that they are a higher league club based just 15 miles from Inverness and with a large number of supporters in the city.

10 minutes ago, bughtmaster said:

What you say has some truth in it but you seem to be missing the point I am trying to make here. It is up to the Club to do the work and make the news interesting enough to get the media more  onside whilst at the same time as giving the Fans the feel good factor from seeing that the are supporting a newsworthy and appreciative organisation.

No, I'm not missing your point BM - merely testing the temperature of the water with a bit of Devil's Advocacy. :smile: I actually spent years unsuccessfully cajoling Kenny Cameron about the need to adopt a higher media profile and I have to say that the poor public perception of the club when :shithitsfan:last summer became unhelpfully obvious as a result of the long term absence of same.

To summarise my real position a bit more clearly I would, however, suggest that if Caley Thistle and Ross County are going to receive such a significant media presence, then it does become that much more difficult to justify much additional coverage for what are generally much lower levels of football, right down to the kick and rush of Walfare/Amateur. It also follows that there isn't all that strong a case of coverage for coverage's sake - such as in the Nationals where, if they can't find Old Firm stories, it's said they just make them up.

16 minutes ago, bughtmaster said:

Perhaps then C B we could do with having some good reporters up here that will assist the cause of our Club.        :lol:

It is not the function of a reporter to "assist the cause" of a club. It is the function of a reporter to report events, be they positive or negative. What you are describing is more like a PR operative.