FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Rangers Match Reactions - [merged]

Yngwie

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Big_Vinnie

I wouldn't be too hard on the team to be honest. For example, Rangers paid about ?1.75m - ?2m for McCulloch. Thats more than the combined total of transfer fee's paid by ICT in their history. Rangers & Celtic are going to be streets ahead of everyone else this season with the money they've spent.

How well Inverness do this season depends on the results & performances against the St Mirrens, Motherwells Falkirks etc. Do well/better than last season against the middle & lower teams in the league, throw in a couple of good results against the Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen & OF & I have no doubt ICT will be closer to the top 6 finish this season.

37 more games to go.

I don't think the result yesterday was about tactics, it had more to do with so many players having poor individual performances. We've had a tendency to play long balls over the top since the Brewster era. Sometimes it actually works but Rangers defenders were too good. They rarely lost a challenge or knoked the ball out for a long Munro throw in, so it just ended up coming straight back at us almost every time.

I'd be suprised if punting the ball is actually part of CC's gameplan - it's just what players do when they're afraid of making a crucial mistake. The only team we never end up hoofing against are Hibs, could this perhaps be because the players aren't afraid of them - based on previous results?

The only tactical error I would point to was our high defensive line, how many times did Rangers attackers get in behind us? Lets get back to defending deep like we did when we had the second best defensive record in the league.

Credit were credit is due that was the best Rangers team to play against Caley.

They played a hard pressing game at a pace that took caley by suprise and seemed to be a lot fitter than Caley.

I wouldn't lay the blame on the players or manager we were beaten by a much better team.

We will play the same and win many matches this year.

As has been pointed out last year it was St mirren which was by far a worse result.

I am sure once we have all our players fit we will be ok.

Sure ICT were bad but Rangers weren't much better and if I were the SFA I'd give Celtic the cup now.

Agree with that TCF, the main difference in my opinion was the fact that Rangers have the financial clout to be able to field players with quality that ICT can only dream of, Fergusons first and Novos strike were both quality strikes, over all i did not think that they played much better than Caley. I was dissapointed that we never got good enough balls into the box from set pieces, clearly the best chance we were going to have of scoring on the day.

ive voiced concerns about us being too lightweight this year before but there is hope.  im sure theres one big center back to come in, which is a big requirement.  itll be when bayne and nicolae get teamed up together that we'll be a much more formidable force going forward, can see the whole team getting a lift from that

blacks role in the team should be a holding midfielder ala beckham for real  :023:

not sure where macdonald fits in to be honest, i did say when we signed him that his pace and potential (on paper) may equate to zip all in an spl 18 yard box where no prisoners are taken.  probably have to employ him in a 433 for best results, similar to what i said about wyness

roll on motherwell though, things have to change and im totally confident they will

Rangers looked like a team who had warmed up for the new season by playng Chelsea and competitive european football. We looked like a side who had prepared for the new new season by pitting ourselves against the likes of Clach, Keith and Ross County.

Still, things will look brighter in a fortnight's time when we have four points on the board and Niculae has his work permit.

Cannot believe the comment that it had nothing to do with tactics - Walter Smith totally outsmarted CC, who fell into the trap hook line and feckin sinker.

Whatever tactics you go with you still need to have a few players on the park with some basic footballing skills....

I wouldn't accept that Walter Smith outsmarted CC... in fact it was a poor Rangers' performance on Saturday... The difference is they'll improve as the season wears on by virtue of having some highly skilled players in their squad, and who have yet still to get to know each other.....

Thank God Blackie decided to stay with us at the end of last season.... :014:

Rangers looked like a team who had warmed up for the new season by playng Chelsea and competitive european football. We looked like a side who had prepared for the new new season by pitting ourselves against the likes of Clach, Keith and Ross County.

Still, things will look brighter in a fortnight's time when we have four points on the board and Niculae has his work permit.

Four points!!! I hope to **** we have six. In fact I'll be looking for twelve before we face Celtic

I thought we definitely missed Duncan covering the back 4, Rory and Wyness were both terrible, Rankin and McBain went missing and Black's head went down as soon as they scored.  We didn't have the fight we had last season and I hate to say it that comes down to Munro, if he is going to lead the team onto the field he needs to be the one screaming at them when they are on it, and from where I was sitting (in a bar on byers road) he seemed to let the game pass him by.  

I think CC was spot on with his interview after the match but as said elsewhere it is all good and well saying that after, he needs to give up on any loyalty he has with certain players and start making the difficult decisions.  I wouldn't overhaul the team but if we don't get a centre half in quickly we could be in relegation mixer for the majority of the season.

If we don't include Hart in our starting line up next week then I would have to question CC's thinking.  

Next weekend is a big match for us, we need all 3 IMO

I was impressed by the way Rangers played on Sat.  I was sitting low down so could hear them helping each other.  They always knew where each other were and I didn't see them put many passes astray.  They were all over us like a cheap suit.

Had to laugh at the undercover Rangers fan sitting beside me in the main stand.  At first I wasn't sure what he was all about.  My suspicions were aroused when he called Blackie by the wrong name, then clapped and stopped when Ferguson's first goal hit the post and went in.  I wasn't sure if he was happy he thought it had missed.  Then my suspicions were confirmed when he asked me where the pie stall was.  I don't mind if they've paid their money so long as they keep quiet when they score!

Right, well I live in Glasgow so I'm away to take some more abuse on the chin from these currant buns in my office  :008:  Its ok though because they're all ugly and poverty stricken and have a lower life expectancy than us. :001:

Players:  The game doesn't end at 4:47 on a Saturday, it continues through the week when you're a Glasgow based ICT fan.  Get the finger out next time!

I do think the wind was the winner on Saturday!

We did not get the football we paid to see, we only had players trying to guess the flight and bounce of the ball. 

I accept that Rangers ended up the winners by a long way - I'm even apprehensive about watching the highlights - but we did ourselves no favours.  The high ball was a 'nono' from the start but even at the end it was still being used.

Fraser continues to improve, if not in ability,  very much in confidence and Rory - I was certain that he was carrying an injury, he was so leg weary and I kept waiting for the substitution to happen. I can only assume he is excellent in training or the rest are crap, before he can get his place in the starting 11.

Interesting to see CC 'naming and shaming' 3 players in the Courier today that he believes didn't have a good game. I think it was more than 3 folk that had an off day  :rolleyes02:

Who were they?

Wilson, Wyness, Rankin. Though in fairness what CC said was that these were the players he expected to control the game.

Quote courtesy of Inverness Courier:

Christie conceded that the likes of Barry Wilson, John Rankin and Dennis Wyness did not have their "best games" against Rangers, but did not rule out giving individuals who disappointed the chance to redeem themselves, admitting he would spend this week mulling over any changes before making a final decision on who will play at Fir Park.

"I am thinking about making changes in particular areas, but I'll have to wait and see what options I have as we have two or three players carrying knocks," he said.

"Obviously, I'll need to see how training goes this week and I'm certainly not going to jump the gun in terms of making any decisions now.

"When you are playing a team like Rangers you need someone to take the game by the scruff of the neck, but the players I expected that from on Saturday, the likes of Barry Wilson, John Rankin and Dennis Wyness, did not have their best games.

"In saying that, however, you also have to give players a chance to redeem themselves because everyone can have a bad day and what everyone must remember is we were playing a much improved Rangers team.

"What was also apparent from Saturday was how much we missed Graham Bayne as he has been a real thorn in Rangers side ever since we came into the SPL.

"Graham will chase lost causes all day for you, but both Rory McAllister and Dennis Wyness are not comfortable with doing that.