FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

RIP - DAN MACLEOD

Guest Big_Vinnie

Guest Big_Vinnie

Admin, please do not move this subject as it is in a way about one of your own.

Life long Inverness Thistle, then ICT fan, Dan McLeod suffered a serious heart attack after the midweek cup game with Gretna outside the ground on Tuesday.

Despite battling MS for years, despite being diabetic he refused to give up on life. After 30 minutes of trying, assisted by Dr I. Smith, the ICT team doc, emergency services managed to resuscitate Dan.

Sadly on Thursday night at the age of 69, Dan lost his brave battle for life.

He is credited for starting up the Inverness Street & youth leagues & all of the backroom staff at ICT knew him well.

Heartfelt sorrow & kind wishes go out to his dear wife Frances & sons Ali & Donald.

RIP Dan, from William.

Admin, please do not move this subject as it is in a way about one of your own.

Wouldn't dream of moving it !

I believe Dr Smith was also assisted by Derick MacLeod in trying to save him. Sad indeed that he didnt make it. Condolences to his family.

I was in the fortunate (or unfortunate) position to be first on the scene following the game on Tuesday night.  He received almost immediate CPR which would have given him every possible chance and with the club doctors and the red cross not far behind I can confirm that he had the best treatment possible. A sad loss to the football community and my thoughts also to his family and many friends. 

What I can say is that his last conscious moment was a very happy one as he enjoyed the game as much as the rest of us.  I guess it was just his time. God bless. x

Sad news indeed - my sincere sympathy to the family.

If I could chose a way to have my last conscious thoughts before leaving this earth, then that would be it - happy, with a smile, after seeing ICT win 3 goals to nil, amongst pals.

Rest in peace, Dan.

Guest Big_Vinnie

A minutes silence is the least we can do, followed by a big cheer.

Even though he played for Caley (I think around the late 50's early 60's?) & he effectivly died at the stadium there will be no minutes silence for him. They don't do it for fans. There may be a mention in this weeks match programme.

That is so sad considering its the fans that make the team exist in the first place. A disappointing decission.  :32:

I was beginning to type a similar response but then stopped myself after thinking about it.

The club used to do it but stopped when they were faced with a minute's silence almost every week !!! Sometimes it was legitimate, being for officials or employees, or former players of one of the clubs but at other times it was for public figures, politicians, or even for fans with at best a tenuous link to the club.

Initially, I was all for saying that it should be done on a case-by-case basis but who should decide whether this fan or that fan was a good fan, deserving of such an honour, and which fan's families should be refused because we cant do it every week ?

I think - as hard as it may seem - that a program entry and no minute's silence is appropriate

He is credited for starting up the Inverness Street & youth leagues
  :clapping03:

I enjoyed playing in those leagues not so long ago, even got a run out in a final at TCS! There must be thousands of Invernessians who've played in the Street league over the years, including a few ICT players (Charlie Christie is one example). I think he deserves a minutes silence.

Very sad news indeed but I'm not sure that it would be appropriate for the club to mark the death of a fan in the same way as a former player even in the case of one as staunch as the late Dan MacLeod who I recall was a regular attendee at Kingsmills well before the birth of this club.

I was invoved with the street league at the same time as Dan.It was a pleasure to work along side him.I will miss seeing him at the games.

R.I.P Dan

Dan's funeral takes place tomorrow (Wednesday) at Inverness Crematorium at 2.30pm. Only family flowers requested. Jim Falconer will be there to represent the Club.

Guest Big_Vinnie

Dan got a very good & deserved send off today.

No seats left at the cremitorium when I arrived just after 2:15, standing room only. The club were very well represented with Grassa, "Joe Pesci"  :rotflmao: & ex manager Christie in attendance. There was also a fair number of ex caley & thistle players, along with loads of ex highland league boys in attentance.

The sheer numbers spoke of how well he was respected & how sadly he will be missed.

Well Dan, you've got the best seat in the house now. RIP

I worked with both Dan and his wife in BT for many years. Also encountered him at many stadiums throughout Scotland where he travelled to see ICT despite his illness. That's the kind of man he was, just got on with whatever was thrown at him, an example for us all. We'll all miss you Dan.