Did we shoot ourselves in the foot?

chris123

I was using the example that the Dons don't have "Shire" in their name, in no way was i suggesting that Aberdeenshire includes inverness!

Suggest an alternative to ICT then...

:017:

I wasn't doing that at all.

If you know your history, we were Caledonian Thistle before we were Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

I was merely making a point that as ICTChris will tell you, a number of St Mirren fans on P&B made the point that perhaps we dont get in the attendances from around the rest of the highlands (despite the official club "slogan" if you like being "Pride of the Highlands") because they dont feel that caley are a highlands club, they are an Invernessian club.

I was using the example that the Dons don't have "Shire" in their name, in no way was i suggesting that Aberdeenshire includes inverness!

Inverness Caledonian...

Inverness Invasion?

Internazionale Inverness?

Sorry I don't understand this thread :029: Inverness Caley Thistle Play In Inverness and Real Madrid play in Madrid and FC Barcelona play guess where? Most teams are called where they come from or have it in their team names.  When I opened this thread I thought it was going to be interesting, and its not, so I am not sure why I am replying. I thought maybe someone had 'shot themself in the foot' at the match. The only shot that counted today was Ian Blacks WELL DONE

3 lovely points on the board.

Sorry I don't understand this thread      :029:Inverness Caley Thistle Play In Inverness and Real Madrid play in Madrid and FC Barcelona play guess where? Most teams are called where they come from or have it in their team names.  When I opened this thread I thought it was going to be interesting, and its not, so I am not sure why I am replying. I thought maybe someone had 'shot themself in the foot' at the match. The only shot that counted today was Ian Blacks WELL DONE

3 lovely points on the board.

Kudos to you

Did we alienate the rest of the Highlands, and the potential of a massive fanbase, simply by putting in the "Inverness" bit.

I dont believe so. I didnt see any massive influx of support when our name was Caledonian Thistle and doubt it has any major impact or effect.

Splitting hairs.

Reading this thread was like contemplating the action of Marius in shaking the ref's hand.Was it time wasting or was it time wasting?

Now Scotty I would like to ask you  whether you think that ICT would really show-up Toronto if they came to your city to play your home team or would Toronto hold their own. For example, and to put it another way, would the fitness of ICT,enabling them to run for ninety minutes ,be too much for the MLS teams to cope with?

Could David Beckham cope with Caley thistle? Now there's a thought? :001:

Guest kingkojak

I think that when ICT were made they considered the name "Inverness United" but another team already had it.

they didnt call the team inverness united because clach refused to join in the amalgamation

Splitting hairs.

Reading this thread was like contemplating the action of Marius in shaking the ref's hand.Was it time wasting or was it time wasting?

Now Scotty I would like to ask you  whether you think that ICT would really show-up Toronto if they came to your city to play your home team or would Toronto hold their own. For example, and to put it another way, would the fitness of ICT,enabling them to run for ninety minutes ,be too much for the MLS teams to cope with?

Could David Beckham cope with Caley thistle? Now there's a thought? :001:

I think ICT could probably have a fairly even match with TFC ..... the result would depend on which ICT and which TFC turned up as watching both sides can be a real roller coaster.

I think that when ICT were made they considered the name "Inverness United" but another team already had it.

they didnt call the team inverness united because clach refused to join in the amalgamation

I dont think Inverness United was ever considered for a name or discarded because of Clach ! (Perhaps CB can confirm if he has stopped with his fartleks)

However, had it been the case that the club did want that name, the poster is correct in saying that Inverness United could not have been used as it was already registered with the SFA because a welfare/amateur side was using it.