FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Players Leaving

RiG

With the news that Morgan is not being offered a new deal and Caff looking very likely to move on we are now halfway through the number of players we *need* to move on before others can come in.

Who do you think will make way and also who would you prefer to make way?

Given that we have Niculae, Wyness, Bayne, MacAllister, MacDonald and Brewster all currently at the club and all forwards I wonder if our forward line will be trimmed. I personally don't rate MacAllister but he is getting more of a look in than MacDonald is at the minute so you could argue that Brewster prefers him to Deano. Therefore I wonder if we might see Deano moved on because I don't think we can realistically retain more than 4 strikers at the club. Maybe we might even see both moved on should Brewster feel he can continue to play after his shoulder operation.

I wouldn't mind seeing either MacAllister or MacDonald moved on to make space and I would think they are the most likely candidates out of our forward line.

Midfield is another area where we have numerous options. The news of Morgans impending departure takes us down in numbers a wee bit leaving Black, Rankin, Duncan, Wilson, McBain, Cowie, Hart, Paatelainen as well as Vigurs and Sutherland.

I can't see Cowie, Black, Duncan or Wilson leaving. Rankin has been rumoured to be away but with the news of Morgan departing might just offer a him a chance to get back into Brewsters thinking and hopefully he will do.

Xanders contract is up at the end of the season and I would like to see him stay on but he could be a candidate to leave if Brewster doesn't fancy him and we know he isn't a huge fan of flair players (see Juanjo). He might be allowed to join Elgin permanently even though most believe he is too good for SFL3.

We all know about the issues surrounding Hart and I'd be surprised to see him at the club next season. He could be a likely candidate for leaving in January if he can get fixed up with a club or the club may decided to release him if they can come to a mutual agreement.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of Marcus. I feel we have players who can do what he does better and thus I wouldn't be too surprised to see him go. He is also having horrendous luck with injuries and Brewster might decide to cut any losses and bring in someone who will not be on the treatment table so much.

So in midfield I wouldn't be adverse to losing either Hart or Marcus to make some space available.

I can't see anyone in our defence making way unless we cannot help it - e.g. McGuire going back to Fife if we can't get him permanently. Indeed this is the area that we might want to bolster so any departures would be unwelcome. That said, Steven Watt has barely featured since arriving and, in a similar manner to Marcus to a certain extent, we might decide to cut our losses with him as well.

RiG,

Where do you get the ' Brewster doesn't like flair players from ? '

The Juanjo situation had nothing to do with him being a flair player. What about the flair players he has signed as a manager like Dargo, Hunt, Robb, Conway ?

I would think he's looking for flair, quality and pace.

I just hope that this doesn't turn into another of those unproductive "who is our worst player" threads.

A good way to stop that from happening is to not post comments that will likely antagonise certain posters into doing just that and simply give your opinion :003:

RiG,

Where do you get the ' Brewster doesn't like flair players from ? '

The Juanjo situation had nothing to do with him being a flair player. What about the flair players he has signed as a manager like Dargo, Hunt, Robb, Conway ?

I would think he's looking for flair, quality and pace.

I would hardly call Dargo, Hunt or even Robb flair players. Conway I'll give you but more the fact that he is/was a hairdresser and has eccentric hair.

I base it on Brewsters style of play. There is little requirement there for flair players, instead preferring hard working, grafters in the middle of the park and indeed all over the pitch.

Who says we need to get rid of four players. And if we do then isn't one likely to be Watt. I would doubt very much whether Brew will feature next season. Barry could move into coaching. And you forgot to mention Woods RiG though my Montrose friends seem to think he may stay there. His dad's a coach.

I haven't seen Markus much but from what I recall he is quite rangy and good in the air?  I could have imagined this so feel free to correct me.  I think that it's a good thing to have an attacking optino like that, Brewster might appreciate it.

Brewster also praised Ian Vigurs in his midweek update on the official site saying:

I was delighted to give young Iain Vigurs his first taste of SPL football last Saturday and I hope the first of many.  He has been showing in the reserve fixtures the sort of performance I have been looking for, he is a talented boy.  I have been playing him at left-back to try and make him a wee bit more aggressive and make him tackle more.  He has great ability and I am hoping he can make the breakthrough.

Quite a tribute for a player who came on as a sub in the last minute, suggests we could be seeing a wee bit more of young Vigurs.  I remember reading about this lad when he was at Hellgin, he was a first team player there and had trials at Leeds (before they were completely in the sh1t).  I think he could be a real prospect.

I think we should bring in a couople of central defenders in the window, although perhaps if Watt recovers and proves himself worthy of a game we can step up. 

We need to get in new players so I suspect that Deano will be transfer listed and Rory put out on loan - Brew is finished as a player and I would suggest that we need two more forwards - a traditional centre forward and a goal scorer.

Hart may be on his way back to County - Wilson is on his last season so Marcus may stay. I think we really need a wide left midfielder.

They may seek an extension to the McGuire loan and I dont think thay can get rid of Watt. If McGuire goes we need a couple of defenders.

So three or four buys in all I fink.

Personally I'd suggest letting Rory and Markus go. With Caff looking likely to leave, and Morgan on his way, there's the four (if thats the intended figure).

I;d like to see McDonald and Watt both given a chance, as neither has had one yet.

Can't see McGuire going back, so with him Watt, Munro, Hastings, Tokely, Proctor, and McBain (if needed), we need 1, possibly 2 new defenders. How good is Kerr? From what I've seen of him he looks an excellent young player, and we could already have a partial solution. I'm just wondering how far away from the 1st team he is.

Rory will stay cos Brew signed him and he still satisfies the U-21 rule. Hart will stay cos he's Brews type of player, hard working and strong. Watt is still injured and may be sent back to Wales. Dean McDonad is another who still satisfies the U-21 rule. Zander may not come back cos we've got too many midfieders of slight stature. Patti and Ridgers coud be on the way out. Patti cos of injury problems and Ally for lack of experience and size

In fairness to Deano he hasn't really been given a proper chance on the first team. He was great for the reserves and in pre season so it would be daft to just move him on without giving him an oppertunity to show has wares.

Thing is though, if the new manager doesn't rate, and I'm not saying that is the case, then he would be moved on. Look at Proctor at United. Brought in by Brewster and clearly not fancied by Levein so he was off to Airdrie on loan.

Who says we need to get rid of four players. And if we do then isn't one likely to be Watt. I would doubt very much whether Brew will feature next season. Barry could move into coaching. And you forgot to mention Woods RiG though my Montrose friends seem to think he may stay there. His dad's a coach.

True, forgot completely about Wood. I did wonder about not including the likes of him, Sutherland etc. in this but when I included the others I forgot to put him in as well!

I think we should bring in a couople of central defenders in the window, although perhaps if Watt recovers and proves himself worthy of a game we can step up.

I agree certainly on the need to bring in central defenders but I wonder how long we can persevere with Watt given his current injury issues. Not much point having him up here if he isn't playing. I wonder if we might just say that we will cut our losses and try and get in a couple of folk who will actually play when our defence gets stretched?

How good is Kerr? From what I've seen of him he looks an excellent young player, and we could already have a partial solution. I'm just wondering how far away from the 1st team he is.

I've seen him in a few pre season games the last couple of seasons and he has always impressed me. Hopefully he will make the break through.

Patti and Ridgers coud be on the way out. Patti cos of injury problems and Ally for lack of experience and size

I forgot about the goalkeepers. When is Zibi here until? End of season? If so then maybe Ridgers will be allowed to leave.

The way I see it, anyone who has not been commanding a regular start since Brewster returned is a candidate for the off in January....that will possibly include some of the younger guys as these were choices made by previous managers and Brewster may have his eye on other young guys who would rather bring through and give a chance.

In the past we have been used to the idea that new managers have inherited the previous managers team and only made minor alterations.  I believe we are witnessing the next stage in team development where Brewster is very much of a mind to make this team his, to firmly stamp his mark on it and shake off the ghosts of managers who have come before him.

I share the reservations of others in regards to some of the rumours going around about which players may be leaving, however Brewster is the Manager and he has to be given the opportunity to rise or fall by his own choices and decisions.