FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Our Location

Ronaldo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a few of the posts have hit the nail on the head. The problem is pre-conceived perceptions. Inverness is perceived by some in the central belt and beyond as being somewhere north of the Arctic circle where all the natives still only get a couple of TV channels, have whisky on their porridge and the biggest controversy is that "one man and his dog" is no longer on TV. Once people actually get there, their perception changes, but you have to get them there first.

In the 70's and 80's Aberdeen boomed like no City in Scotland ever has.

I had a friend who went to Aberdeen Uni in the 80s and had a girl in his class from Peterborough. Her mother had packed a whole case with toilet rolls, and was concerned that there might be no pavements...

Invernes is ok!!

But me being young there's nothing to do!!

there hardly any good shops!!

it's to expensive to go to the cinema (rip of)!!

reedee, what would you actually *want* to do? I'm honestly curious. When I was your age I just went round to friends' houses and watched TV or listened to records (big black flat things like plates with music on them  :015:).

The connection between football players and girls is well documented, ask the Highland News to stop printing those "club scene" photographs every week. That would put anyone off coming here.

:015: lol you're way too fussy. They are all stunners, especially by closing time :004:

There are no decent clubs in sneck unfortunatly, although I guess it depends what you're looking for.

Love is good if you are a sardine and like dancing to 'cotton eye joe' :018:, barbazza is alright for loose older women :022:, motion is alright if you are underage and can't get into a grown up club :tic01:, and baku and rags are perfect if you are claustrophobic and like empty spaces :sillywave:.

If you don't fall into any of the above categories, unlucky.  :007:

I had a friend who went to Aberdeen Uni in the 80s and had a girl in his class from Peterborough. Her mother had packed a whole case with toilet rolls, and was concerned that there might be no pavements...

Your point caller?

suppose!!

but why is the cinema so expensive??

and the bus is cheap either!!

80p to get from town to culloden :020:!!

Cinema is no cheaper anywhere else.

When I lived in Cornwall, ?3 to get from Camborne to Truro (same kind of distance).  Paisley to Glasgow - about ?2 return.  Think yourself lucky.

Your point caller?

I think the caller's point is to illustrate (rather well) the kind of perception that people outwith the Highlands and the North have of "up here". I have certainly found it commonplace for Central Belters to have the delusion that people in, for instance, Aberdeen, Inverness and Thurso live in adjoining villages up in what they think of as "The North" (which sort of starts when they get to Castlecary Arches). I suspect there are also some who think we also hack the heather out of each other's ears with Claymores, occasionally foray into the South to steal cattle before returning home for the monthly Brigadoon reinactment.

(Now could you imagine us up here harbouring equivalently silly ideas about people in the South dressing up in white shell suits and burberry baseball caps and swigging Buckfast whilst spray painting bus shelters on their way to collect their Giros?  )

Anyway, what I was getting round to saying was that a lot of central belt players will initially have a completely inaccurate perception of what it's like up here. Those who are brave enough to give it a try will find it completely different from and a lot better than what they expected but at the same time we can't get away from the fact that it's still a long way away frrom families etc for many of them to stay longer than a contract or two.

suppose!!

When I lived in Cornwall, ?3 to get from Camborne to Truro (same kind of distance).  Paisley to Glasgow - about ?2 return.  Think yourself lucky.

Why don't they make it cheep??

all this saving the environment stuff!!

it get pepole out there cars!!

i normally get my mum or dad to take me places because the bus is far too expensive!!

[

(Now could you imagine us up here harbouring equivalently silly ideas about people in the South dressing up in white shell suits and burberry baseball caps and swigging Buckfast whilst spray painting bus shelters on their way to collect their Giros?  )

Oh, I see, when did things change? I assumed that was Standard Uniform.

:004:

Your point caller?

I think the caller's point is to illustrate (rather well) the kind of perception that people outwith the Highlands and the North have of "up here". I have certainly found it commonplace for Central Belters to have the delusion that people in, for instance, Aberdeen, Inverness and Thurso live in adjoining villages up in what they think of as "The North" (which sort of starts when they get to Castlecary Arches). I suspect there are also some who think we also hack the heather out of each other's ears with Claymores, occasionally foray into the South to steal cattle before returning home for the monthly Brigadoon reinactment.

Anyway, what I was getting round to saying was that a lot of central belt players will initially have a completely inaccurate perception of what it's like up here. Those who are brave enough to give it a try will find it completely different from and a lot better than what they expected but at the same time we can't get away from the fact that it's still a long way away frrom families etc for many of them to stay longer than a contract or two.

Ahhh, I see.

Yes he did make a good point didn't he :003:

suppose!!

i normally get my mum or dad to take me places because the bus is far too expensive!!

Absolutely  :clapping03:  :clapping03:  :clapping03:

Subsidised dirt cheap but very comfortable regular public transport is one of my policies when I run for PM, First Minister or King of the Multiverse.

Some cheap tickets for the south of England based ICT supporters would be nice too!!

FlyBe - 8.29 each way if booked well enough in advance !!! (+ tax !!!)

Aye, well worth the watching. I booked 3 flights at ?8.29 and they ended up costing me ?234! A con. I can understand why we have them as our shirt sponsors.

I think the caller's point is to illustrate (rather well) the kind of perception that people outwith the Highlands and the North have of "up here".

Yup, to us Aberdeen was a booming oil town, to them it was seen as some sort of backwater lacking any basic facilities.

suppose!!

You are complaining about 80p for a bus trip to Culloden from Inverness?

Jose maria Olazabel.

In reference to this subject on some other posts around, surely we as a club should be promoting Inverness and the Highlands as an area for a young professional footballer to come and live and work in??  Rather than viewing this as a hindrance to attracting players? 

Fresh air, scenery, schooling, safe place to live (somtimes) and the list goes on....

All true and that is why the older players, those with wife and kids, are keen to stay/come back. The younger ones want to get away to noise.

Guest CaleyJaggy

suppose!!

80p from Culloden to the city centre and you're complaining.  :029:  I'm a minimum of ?20 to get from Glasgow and more if I leave it too late to book transport and I dare say I'm not the only one trveling some distance to the home games.  If you don't want to pay 80p walk it should only take you around 30/40 mins at most to get into town.

Bus prices in Inverness (and surrounding areas) are among the most expensive in the UK....FACT.

Do you realise that when you pay to use a bus, that's actually the second time your paying?  Your taxes are already used to pay the subsidies to the companies...StageCoach could run their buses for free and still turn a profit based on the subsidies they get.

Guest CaleyJaggy

80p to a youngster who isn't earning can be a lot of money.

If they can afford some buckie/Cider or MD 20/20 they can afford 80p for a bus  :023: seriously though 80p isn't a **** of alot of money to spend on a bus unless pocket money has gone down in the years since I got some (?10 a week for chores etc.).  Going from Forres High St to the Tesco on the A96 (a distance of about 1/2 mile) costs ?1.

80p to a youngster who isn't earning can be a lot of money.

If they can afford some buckie/Cider or MD 20/20 they can afford 80p for a bus  :023: seriously though 80p isn't a **** of alot of money to spend on a bus unless pocket money has gone down in the years since I got some (?10 a week for chores etc.).  Going from Forres High St to the Tesco on the A96 (a distance of about 1/2 mile) costs ?1.

I just started posting an almost identical message about Buckie and Breezers but you beat me to it :015: