FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The return of "The Jags"!!!

Govan Jaggie

Could anyone give me more info on the report in todays Glasgow Evening Times that there is a new Scottish Junior League team based out of Inverness and it is called Inverness Thistle!  There was no more information than that and the league has no other news.  If anyone knows who is behind it or where they are due to play, I would love to get more information.

"Agreement was also reached to allow Inverness Thistle admission to the junior ranks to become the first club at that level to play out of Scotland's newest city."  If they do well, they could get into the Scottish Cup and end up playing ICT!

Very much a Red and Black comeback maybe?

Imagine a team called Inverness Thistle were admited to the HL, played in red and black and played at New Kingsmills........would you support em? Would they be ahead of ICT?

Agreed, both Thistle and Caley are long dead. We are all now fans of a team much more successful and with a much higher profile than either of those Highland League could ever have hoped to achieve.

I would not follow a revived Inverness Thistle in the Highland League in preference to ICT.

Inverness Thistle Football Club Limited was once again registered (as a PLC) on 14th June 2007 and has a registered address of - FLAT 1, 20 DALKEITH ROAD, DUNDEE, TAYSIDE, DD4 6JU  (Information courtesy of Companies House)

It doesn't appear to be trading in any way shape or form though and I think Kingsmills could be right in so much as they actually meant Inverness City.

Just came across a programme for a certain match for this team. (20p) the real ones.

Who were the opponents and what was the score on Saturday 5th August 1985

W Neilson.........ex-Caley starlet, taken his chance since the departure of Les Fridge to Chelsea.

W Skinner........18 year old ex-Dundee United, returned North because he was homesick.

W Wilson..........20 year old full back.

K Sweeney.......another 18 year old ex-Caley starlet but life long Thistle fan.

D Milroy............been with the club since he was 14, now 28 and second longest serving player at Kingsmills.

M Andrew.........ex-rugby player, fast and uncompromising.

A Black..............titch, longest serving player, won every honour in North football, probably the most popular player in the game.

G Hay................skillful midfielder, Glasgow born Tax Inspector in his second year with the Jags.

A Macdonald.....Ft Augustus youngster, six goals already this season.

F Taylor............ex-Forres/Clach & Brora, suspended for first 4 games of season, scored 6 in 4 games since returning.

C Christie.........19 year old ex-Caley starlet now following in his brothers footsteps, skillful player in the Titch Black mould.

C Maclean.........Grantown based. Hardest worker in team, his size hides his strength.

W Sanderson....Much younger than he seems, been in the Highland league scene for so long.

B Black..............Titch's brother, now second team coach, badly affected by injuries, joined club in 1973.

ref was J.R. McCulloch (Inverness)

and, after 8 or 9 games, the Highland league looked like this

team-----------played------points

ELGIN-------------8-----------22

CALEY-------------9----------19

COUNTY-----------9----------17.......County had scored 30 goals, nearest to them was Elgin with 19.

PETERHEAD-------8----------17

FORRES------------7----------16

JAGGIES-----------7----------13.......but two games in hand over Caley, Elgin had played one game less than Caley

KEITH--------------7----------11

HUNTLY------------9----------11

BUCKIE------------7----------10

BROCH-------------8----------10

VALE----------------9----------10

Ft WILLIAM--------7-----------9

BRORA--------------8-----------9

CLACH--------------8-----------7

ROTHES------------8-----------7

LOSSIE-------------9-----------4

NAIRN--------------8-----------3

So, which of these teams did they play?

Incidentally, Forres Mechanics eventually won the league this season, their only ever Highland League success.

Inverness Thistle Football Club Limited was once again registered (as a PLC) on 14th June 2007 and has a registered address of - FLAT 1, 20 DALKEITH ROAD, DUNDEE, TAYSIDE, DD4 6JU  (Information courtesy of Companies House)

I have some recollection that the person behind that has also registered other team names and seems to be doing so under the delusion of making some money, rather than resurrecting a club that is best consigned to the anals of history.

consigned to the anals of history.

...truly the darkest of dark holes.  :014:

Inverness City, managed by Stevie Graham and Mike Pollard, are definitely on the verge of leaving the North Caledonian League and going junior. All that is awaited is final formal clearance from the juniors and that may also have been obtained by now. Strangely enough they have so far been unable to obtain a pitch within the city boundary and play at North Kessock.

It was a Scottish Qualifying Cup (North) tie at...................

this team entered the league the season before.

winners in this season

1985/86

Peterhead 5, Buckie Thistle 1.

TMFTJ's wee hint has, I think, cracked it for me. Was it not Fort William who beat Inverness Thistle 1-0 at Claggan in the Q Cup just weeks after they cqme into the HL which was in 1985? Ft. Wm were elected in April 1985 and began playing in the August.

SP... I hope Inverness City are going to become upwardly mobile. My daughter is club Treasurer!

Aye Charlie, they wre founded in 1984 and joined in season 85-86 when they lost out to Stirling Albion 6-0 after a replay.  Claggan Park game ending 0-0.  This was the season after Stirling Albion set a 20th century Scottish Cup scoring record by defeating Selkirk 20-0, a century after Arbroath had thumped hapless Bon Accord 36-0.

Now then...........for a bonus point...............can you name all the scorers in both these games :029:

Red Lichties record

According to today's Courier, Inverness City are moving from North Kessock to the Northern Meeting Park. While they are no threat to ICT, I fear that, if they do well in the junior set up, they might take some support and commercial backing from the Clach which might just tip the balance for our already fragile Highland League neighbours.

Inverness can support an SPL team and 1 other at most.  Personally I'd rather that one other was in the Highland League than the juniors but thats just me.

Anyway good luck to Stevie Graham, he's a nice chap and often buys me a pint when I'm home.  :003:

I also think the Junior leagues put the HL to shame.

Nowadays they do. The HL has suffered big time from all the departures. Some of the guys i knew that were playing in the HL were poorish amateur league players!