Need a defender!

caley100

Duncan started off at Stoneywood Juniors as a forward and scored something like 40 goals in a season.

I seem to recall something like that from a paper when we signed him.

Yup, played for Scotland School-boys as a striker and scored a goal against England that involved him putting 7 or 8 defenders on their arses before curling it past the keeper.

Starting the season with last seasons defence will be criminal, i dont think Granty and Mcguire play well together, Hastings will offer nothing going forward as usual, so we could be losing goals from the start.... i hope not, but i have concerns.

I am a wee bit of a loss here - what relevance has Hastings 'not going forward' to do with our goals against, last season.

I would have felt that going forward, as a defender, leaving the position vacant, could result in more goals against and not less!

I though our right back attracted lots of (uncalled for) criticism due to his forward runs!!

Dont be picky.. :016:   Its a well known fact that i dont rate Hastings, defence or going forward, we leak goals from the left back area quite a lot, presume thats why brew took on another left back and not another central defender, Hastings use of the ball going forward usually ends up with a punt and lost possession and him nowhere.

Saying that i'm not convinced about our pairing of Granty & Mcguire, Grant is not the player he was when Dods was there, whether its the captaincy or something else i dont know, but there is a lack of confidence in the back three, thats for sure.

I agree that we need a defender. I thought MacGuire was a complete waste of space last year, and despite the constant arguing about Niculae's wages, ithink most people would be surprised if theywere to know the wages that macguire commands.I believe there'snot much of a differnece between him andMarius.

The signing of the ex french lad from county hardly fills me with confidence.

Guest WynessLegend

We have good cover in defence.

We lost a lot of goals last season when our right back was left stranded at the halfway line after

an entertaining but disastrous run upfield.

Teach Tokely to concentrate on defending and we have no problem.

(Provided we bring in a keeper!)

The difference being....Rossco was actually missing when opponents utilised gaps on the right whereas Hastings was there but was no more effective than an AWOL Rossco.

I'll qualify that by saying that I don't think he (Hastings) had his worst season ever, but it wasn't as good as the previous year and he'll need to get the finger out this season if he wants to keep his place. something he is more than capable of doing.

Duncan started off at Stoneywood Juniors as a forward and scored something like 40 goals in a season.

Yup, played for Scotland School-boys as a striker and scored a goal against England that involved him putting 7 or 8 defenders on their arses before curling it past the keeper.

He must have been some striker if England felt the need to play 8 defenders, formation must have been 8-1-1

He must have been some striker if England felt the need to play 8 defenders, formation must have been 8-1-1

He really was.