FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Need a defender!

caley100

I am more than concerned that Brew has not identified the need for defensive cover, Mcguire was pretty poor last season, with only Proc able to fill in ( in an emergency)  we really are in dire need of an experienced defender.

I am more than concerned that Brew has not identified the need for defensive cover, Mcguire was pretty poor last season, with only Proc able to fill in ( in an emergency)  we really are in dire need of an experienced defender.

i think thats why zadi was brought in, primarily as cover for left back but also as an emergency centre half if needed. Hastings can also play centre half if needed and i'm pretty sure he plays there for the Canadian national team.

Guest birdog

I believe, due to comments I read last season (which I can't find), that Brewster would like to train Proc in a central defensive ole but Proctor is more comfortable playing on the right side.

Not convinced about that scenario, both these guys are pretty lightweight, and as we saw Proc aint a centre back, and Hastings aint a footballer, even Mcguire is pretty small for a centre back.

Surely the management that we really need a Dods/Mann type players who can compete more on the physical sense.

Hastings aint a footballer

:017:

argueably the best left back in the SPL last season... Hastings is probably our most consistent performer, I'd prefer not to see him played at centre half though

Munro is a left footed/sided centre half anyway...  I still think we could do with another right sided centre half

Guest birdog

Brewster said last week there will be no further defence signings I'm afraid

He said in todays P&J that he wants to sign another 'keeper so either he is contradicting himself or he is being misquoted.

Guest TinCanFan

tokely - Good

munro - Good

hastings - Satisfactory

djebi-zabi - Don't Know

proctor - Good

mcguire - Dreadful

vigurs (if needed) - Not a centre back

mcbain(if needed) - Okay

I think that's garbage.

I would argue that McGuire was as poor the second half of the season as Munro was the first.

He also remains the only defender in our squad whose first thought isnt "**** here comes the ball, better welley it into row z."

I agree with Jamie, our usual back four will be Rossco-Munro-Proc/McGuire-Hastings with Djebi-Zadi to cover centre half or left back, and Vigurs or McBain who can also cover left back with **** moving into the centre and Duncan could also cover at right back if required

Guest TinCanFan

Why are people constantly saying Vigurs is a defender.  He isn't.  Yes, he was played there in the reserves so he could practice tackling and get more stuck in in the game.  It was never supposed to be a position he would play in the first team.

McGuire was carrying a hernia problem for some time before his operation. The Italians are good defenders and certainly not all 6' 7''

It does amaze me how some some supporters criticise our players even now - after Internationals for instance! Why can't we support the players in future?

Hastings has been playing at centre half for Canada for the last year or more - primarily because the left back slot is already taken - and quite frankly he has done very well in that role.

When he was first recalled to the Canada squad people were criticising the decision quite loudly but after the Gold Cup, where he played every game, up to and including the final, in central defence, the criticism was gone. I am not saying people are raving about him, but nowadays when discussing lineups on various fan forums, Canadian "soccer" fans seem to type out a team list and put him in at centre half without a second thought or without much debate ... its other positions where there are heated discussions. Incidentally, he was also named to the best 11 of that tournament .... in central defence.

It all smacks of 'make do' to me, Djebi-jabby will cover central defence, maybe Russell at right back....gives a break!  proper players are required, maybe you have short memories but we shipped a lot of goals last season, this is the one area that i thought Brewster would address.... obviously not.

So far we've signed a second div player, and a dodgy ex county left back.

I agree with Caley100 on this and we seem to be doing the same thing up front in terms of "make do".

The only thing I would add is that with Brewsters fascination for playing players out of position we never know who we might see playing where.  McAllister as a Centre Back anyone?  :015:

Brewster said last week there will be no further defence signings I'm afraid

He said in todays P&J that he wants to sign another 'keeper so either he is contradicting himself or he is being misquoted.

Dont you think, perhaps, he's distinguishing between defender and keeper. He did also say in last weeks paper he wants to go with three keepers this season hence the reason for promoting McNulty.

As well as the defenders listed above we have Duff and Kerr. Why does nobody see our home grown as being a part of our team.

How many youngsters/inexperienced players do you want us to be starting with Alex?

As is often the case the balance is normally somewhere in the middle, but the way your going on we should be starting with our U19's.

20 minutes in to a game and one of our players gets crocked....what situation would you rather see?  Forced to play an inexperienced youth for 70 minutes or have the option to put on someone a little more seasoned?

Yes, it's good to give these lads 10 or 20 minutes at the end of a game but it's too much to drop them into the above scenario and it could end up doing more harm than good.  After they've had that experience and shown they can keep their cool and play under the pressure then you start to consider them for more time on the pitch.

Unfortunately we're in the situation whereby we have a manager who is not only shy of making changes, but he seems clueless as to what the changes should be.  We had ample opportunity to give some of these lads time on the park last season but they were lucky to get 5 minutes here or there....that, IMO, is what's holding them back and nothing to do with the desire among the fans to see more experienced players available to bolster the squad.

Those youths I mention are 20 year olds. Hibs and Motherwell found themselves in a position where thay had no choice but to play youngsters and found success. Our guys have played a few seasons in the reserves against a lot of the players they'd come up against in the first team and done very well. Give them the chance I say

I really dont think our young defenders are good enough, but we will have to wait and see, how long has brew/cc/brew perservered with 'youth/young talent'  Rory?

Starting the season with last seasons defence will be criminal, i dont think Granty and Mcguire play well together, Hastings will offer nothing going forward as usual, so we could be losing goals from the start.... i hope not, but i have concerns.

Why are people constantly saying Vigurs is a defender.  He isn't.  Yes, he was played there in the reserves so he could practice tackling and get more stuck in in the game.  It was never supposed to be a position he would play in the first team.

im sure every player is given a secondary position,im sure duncan wasnt trained to be a right back but he was played there

Duncan started off at Stoneywood Juniors as a forward and scored something like 40 goals in a season.

I seem to recall something like that from a paper when we signed him.