FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

missing a bridge and a castle

us2

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shambles that was the signing section and the way the club looked into bringing standing back to football before any of the other spl clubs (can't find the link, but I do remember it) suggests to me that contrary to the opinions of some, the club are really willing to make an effort.

Perhaps if the Supporters Trust were willing to organise another meeting between the fans and the club, then discussions could be held. This time I think Mike Smith should be forced to attend, I think its time he stopped hiding behind others and came out and at least explained himself.

On another note, this simple fact is that nobody is really intersted in singing at Caley Stadium these days. The singing section holds around 300 yes? But even at full swing, only around 50 or 60 bothered to go to the west stand for a sing song, while despite what some may think, our away support (with the exception of a few young lads that do an excellent job, and a few of the older lads when they can) is one of the poorest in the SPL in terms of making noise. Look at Aberdeen the other week, we took 500+ down, but with the exception of a few renditions of Caley clap clap clap, it was the same 30 or so lads that were making the noise.

Unfortunately it seems that we may be in the minority guys, the rest don't seem to particularly care about the atmosphere at TCS.

On another note, this simple fact is that nobody is really intersted in singing at Caley Stadium these days. The singing section holds around 300 yes? But even at full swing, only around 50 or 60 bothered to go to the west stand for a sing song.

We went there for a couple of games but then they decided to tell us we werent getting in unless we had a season ticket for it.

Not many fancied swopping their season tickets in Section G to sit in that poor excuse for a 'stand', especially in the winter months etc. and so it wasn't used again.

Once again Jobsworth Stewarding spoiling it for the rest..

Unfortunately it seems that we may be in the minority guys, the rest don't seem to particularly care about the atmosphere at TCS.

:rotflmao: Unfortunately I can't disagree with that.

Ach what can some narrow minded facists do against 4000 disgruntled highlanders! We should rip their heads off and tear them to pieces and then tell the team the same will happen to them if they don't start winning all the time - champions in no time! :rotflmao:

Their is reasons why the club had to back down on certain arrangements. Unfortunately these were/are not properly communicated so everyone was left feeling like it was some kind of vendetta against the younger lads looking to create a bit of atmosphere.

Scotty - Remember the days when you could get well oiled before the game - stand and sing freely on the terraces - engage in "harmless" banter with peers and away fans - enjoy the craic and go back happily to the pub ?

Well nowadays ya are apprehensive about what is classed as intoxicated at a football ground - you are apprehensive about standing up and singing - you are apprehensive about being lifted for pettiness - and possibly spite. Jobs, careers, aspirations and livelihoods can be at stake - that is feckin frightening !!

There is only one thing fer it as far as I am concerned - I am feckin emigrating to Toronto.

Germany's not bad either - they still have fencing and the guys with the megaphones "conduct" sitting on the top of them. Great atmosphere, beer before, during and after, and standing throughout.

It would be great if the club could do something to take a lead and encourage the fans to generate a bit of atmosphere; but while we wait for that to happen, let's just get shouting, singing, chanting and bantering.

The G Section are a good example of doing that and enjoying themselves, but let's not leave it to them. I think there have been more posters on this thread complaining about the lack of singing than there are ever people actually opening their mouths and roaring out at the TCS.

Maybe Ca-ley :rotflmao: is a little bit uninspired, but at least it's a start. Let's get some noise going, then we can ascend the dizzy heights of the Bridge And A Castle.

So come on, don't be shy.... Give Me A C!

I think there are a] natural cheerleaders, b] followers and c] sweety rustlers.

I would class myself as a b] - if people are singing I'm the first to join in, but I don't have the nerve to actually start.

Edited by alimci

I don't know what the problem is at home BUT at Pittodrie I was in the midst of the most superb atmosphere - yes, I know we were on a high due to the score - but the pi.. taking of the red ultras, by our wee support, was something to experience.

I also experienced something similar at Easter Road, last year, when a relatively small following out sang and upstaged a larger Hibs, quieter, support.

I think we should just bottle this type of away atmosphere and release it at ICT to wake up the slumbering brigade!

I don't know what the problem is at home BUT at Pittodrie I was in the midst of the most superb atmosphere .... I also experienced something similar at Easter Road

In a word ...... alcohol !!!

Aside from a few extra pinties at away games, one big difference that contributes to the atmosphere is that we tend not to have rigourously-enforced numbered seating when we're on the road (cos you're not stuck in season ticket seats and also I suppose because the stadia are often bigger) so those who like to bellow out the odd song (or the very odd song) can cluster together much more easily than at TCS.

So the willing singers / instigators generate a bit of noise and atmos together, which inspires the will-sing-but-don't-like-to-start-it to join in, and before you know it you're having a right old laugh and out-singing the home support.

Carefree, wherever we may be,

Unless that's the Longman

Yes we're ICT....

one big difference that contributes to the atmosphere is that we tend not to have rigourously-enforced numbered seating when we're on the road

good point ... that and a few pints makes for a noisy bunch of fans

I hate to keep harping back to TFC for my examples but as its the only regular football I see, then its my yardstick these days.

TFC has a "supporters section", part of which is shown in the photos above. Like the rest of the ground, it is 'all-seated' but the front office at TFC worked with the fans before the start of the first season to relax certain rules and set certain guidelines which apply only to this part of the ground.

• In the supporters section it is almost required to stand (in others sitting is enforced - but not strictly). If you dont stand, you wont see anything because everyone else is standing. The only part of standing that seems to be clamped down upon is when fans are standing on the seats from the row in front to get a better view which is fair enough as the seats can break when people start bouncing.
  • The supporters section is allowed flags, drums, and certain noisemakers but no flares, air horns etc. A few have lit flares or smoke bombs and been huckled out which is also fair enough. Other parts of the ground have more restrictions.
  • The whole ground has alcohol available to it but as Luvgravy mentioned, prices are quite steep ... anything from $9 - $13 for a beer. TFC has had a problem with some fans throwing beer onto the field when opponents come to take a corner or such like and this has led to some restrictions in the supporters section ... there are no more beer sellers going up and down the aisles in the supporters section and the sales stop around the 60th minute, but if you want to go to the concourse you can buy one up until then (and beyond I think).
  • This past week has seen the introduction of the 'capo' stand which has been hailed a success. The front office know that they need atmosphere and despite ramping up security somewhat (because of beer throwers and other idiots spoiling it for the rest), they continue to work with the fans to try and create the atmosphere they (the club) want in the ground.

There are quite a few things the front office at TFC dont get right in many fans' eyes but when it comes to the supporters section, I think they do it pretty well. They are slowly but surely weeding out the real idiots and at least trying to encourage the real fans (and those from the season ticket waiting list that replace the idiots) to generate a formidable atmosphere.

The front office has lost no control by allowing fans to stand or to bring flags, in fact, many of the fans become self-policing in weeding out the idiots because they know that the privileges they have been given may be in jeopardy if they dont. There is a fair bit of respect towards certain named members of the front office staff who have worked with the fans and listened to them and even when things are not quite right between the fans and management, they still talk to each other.

If Toronto FC can do this with a whole stand at BMO field and still keep control over a 20,000+ crowd then there is no reason why ICT could not do this at the TCS with a 4000 crowd. I know they are bound by certain regulations or guidelines about standing and could potentially get into trouble for openly flaunting them but what is to stop them taking the fight to the SPL/SFA or whoever. They have done this before over bigger issues (SPL entry / stadium capacity) and won.

Why not work with a group like StandUpSitDown or similar and suggest a pilot scheme whereby the West Stand is allowed to be terracing or even a seated area where standing is 'tolerated' and the singers can congregate without having seat numbers constantly checked so they can be separated from each other by the killjoys. Work with the young lads who are only wanting to generate the atmosphere that has been lacking at the stadium for virtually every game since the stadium opened and embrace the fact they want to gee on the players rather than try to crush their enthusiasm. From the other side though, it means that those wanting to do this would also have to follow certain rules. There have been incidents in the past where fans were sitting on the wall or where some rushed one of the stewards and then complained it was the club's fault. If something could be done, then fans would need to view it as a privilege and not abuse it. If that can be achieved then maybe ICT could have accomplished yet another thing for Scottish football ................

Hey Scotty, You guy's also have the streamers that whoever is taking a corner gets pelted. This is pretty bloody funny. when you see the player running up to take the corner and getting the streamers bouncing off his noggin.

Hey Scotty, You guy's also have the streamers that whoever is taking a corner gets pelted. This is pretty bloody funny. when you see the player running up to take the corner and getting the streamers bouncing off his noggin.

True - some players hate it, but there are others who revel in it