FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Time for Action (Merged)

Guest Muir-Jaggie

Serious question:

What does a manager need to achieve with our squad to win over the support? Does it have to be Uefa qualification within his second season?

Most managers wouldn't have to do a hell of a lot to win over support if they had an ounce of ability. As Brewster is single-handedly destroying ICT from the inside, all he has to do is quit to gain respect cause he sure as f*ck ain't getting respect from me until he does.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious question:

What does a manager need to achieve with our squad to win over the support? Does it have to be Uefa qualification within his second season?

Serious Answer:

What I expect from a manager is for him to get the team competing to the best of its ability on a consistent basis and look like it is trying. I also expect him to be honest or even humble enough to say to the fans that he got things wrong from time to time.

I do not expect us to win every game, I do not expect us to be in the top six every year, I do not expect us to win a cup regularly or qualify for Europe on a consistent basis - we are NOT that big (yet). We can aspire to these things, but there are clubs far bigger than us who, if they perform, will easily beat us to those goals.

Right now, the only thing Brewster seems to have achieved on a consistent basis is that he has got the squad fit. We only seem to have a fighting spirit in every 3 or 4 games. We have zero consistency, and half the time we look like we arent even going through the motions. That, IMHO is not good enough.

For instance, if I were to send an email to the club to raise my concerns over our current form (and yes I am concerned) then I wouldn't come on to this site trying to find backing for a hate campaign.. instead I would hope that other people would forge their own opinions and take whatever action they felt was necessary

Actually there was talk of full scale protest but Scotty and CaleyD have reigned this in to an email protest if you feel the need. The way things were headed at one stage things could have been a lot worse for the club.

There were lots of ideas being banded about and this is by far a lot quieter and a lot more civilized than it could have been. I don't believe the club will listen immediately but at least they will know now how unhappy we, the lifeblood of the club, really are. It's up to them to appease us now, they still have full control.

my answer, simply put - performances and results...

isn't that what any manager is supposed to provide?

yip very simple but if you have 12 managers and 12 teams and 12 sets of fans and 12 boards all expecting the same thing then unfortunately there is going to be some that can't deliver

so you need to put it in perspective by taking into account money spent, age of squad, players already in squad, how good is the support etc. etc. so it is not really that simple

Brew is strugglling at the moment and so is the club, we are facing our first real threat of relegation and everyone has hit the panic button...

yip very simple but if you have 12 managers and 12 teams and 12 sets of fans and 12 boards all expecting the same thing then unfortunately there is going to be some that can't deliver

so you need to put it in perspective by taking into account money spent, age of squad, players already in squad, how good is the support etc. etc. so it is not really that simple

Brew is strugglling at the moment and so is the club, we are facing our first real threat of relegation and everyone has hit the panic button...

When is a good time to hit the panic button?

3 games to play and 4 points behind?

When is a good time to hit the panic button?

3 games to play and 4 points behind?

not now anyway (IMO), Brew has tried to completely overhaul the squad because he understands for a club like ICT to maintain we need to have faith in our youth policy, my major criticism is that he has done too much too soon. I think he has managed to free up some cash so I am looking forward to seeing who he buys in January... one thing I think anyone would struggle to argue against is that Brew has an eye for a bargain so I am hoping for another couple of gems.

He has PLENTY to work on but I don't think he is a bad manager... arrogant, yes... stubborn, yes.... but name a top manager that isn't???

I agree to an extent with your theory of 12 Harry .... but think its a little more complicated.

There is the theory of 2 which Celtic and Rangers have. The theory of both is the same, win the league.

There is then a theory of 4 with teams such as Aberdeen, DUFC, Hearts & Hibs which is aim high and try to split the OF, but at the very least finish in the top 6 and/or qualify for Europe.

So we are left with a theory of 6 for the other teams which is try to do as best we can, avoid relegation and finish as the best of the rest in the bottom six. The ultimate goal of these 6 should be a desire to see if some years we can "over-achieve" and do well in a cup here or there, get into the top six or maybe qualify for Europe.

I could actually accept the spectre of relegation if the team were going out there with the tactics and motivation that meant they were trying in every game, battling hard and ultimately losing to better sides either by want of the other side's better skill or even by the odd bit of bad luck. but we are not doing that we have capitulated time after time this season and last, we have lost the team spirit that DID see us over achieve at times, and some weeks we simply dont seem interested. YES the players need to take some blame for that as it is they who have to play the game, but it is Brewster's job to get them motivated for it, and to setup tactics that should work (and are not confusing) and he doesnt seem to possess that ability.

Right very simply I will tell you what I expect in a manager

One that motivates his players and has their respect

One that doesnt drive experienced players out the door before he has good enough replacements

One that doesnt tell one of our best players such as Rankin he can go, only then when its to late he decides he can play and puts in the team and then we lose him

One that plays players in their correct postions

One that when things go wrong can take his share of the blame rather than blame everybody else

One that has at least some idea what his best team and tactics are

Edited by stevico1

not now anyway (IMO), Brew has tried to completely overhaul the squad because he understands for a club like ICT to maintain we need to have faith in our youth policy, my major criticism is that he has done too much too soon. I think he has managed to free up some cash so I am looking forward to seeing who he buys in January... one thing I think anyone would struggle to argue against is that Brew has an eye for a bargain so I am hoping for another couple of gems.

He has PLENTY to work on but I don't think he is a bad manager... arrogant, yes... stubborn, yes.... but name a top manager that isn't???

Firstly TOP managers have earned the right to arrogance and stubbornness. Brewster has not.

After all the propaganda we heard in the summer about money coming in etc and with Brewster's performance on the transfer market do you really believe that statement?

Its hard to say when the panic button should be hit . It was definitely hit at the start of last season. That was desperate. If we get relegated we will struggle to be promoted back. I hate to say it but Brewsters tearing the club apart and dragging everyone down with him. The board MUST ACT NOW.

I could actually accept the spectre of relegation if the team were going out there with the tactics and motivation that meant they were trying in every game, battling hard and ultimately losing to better sides either by want of the other side's better skill or even by the odd bit of bad luck. but we are not doing that we have capitulated time after time this season and last, we have lost the team spirit that DID see us over achieve at times, and some weeks we simply dont seem interested. YES the players need to take some blame for that as it is they who have to play the game, but it is Brewster's job to get them motivated for it, and to setup tactics that should work (and are not confusing) and he doesnt seem to possess that ability.

we aren't even bottom of the league and there is mass hysteria... I actually think we would be overachieving again this season if we finish anywhere above 11th... It's up to Brew (at the moment anyway) to get this team as far up the table as he can come the second half of the season

I am maybe getting a feeling that you're on the wind-up HC?

After all, you prob rate Rory judging by your avatar? :rotflmao:

(bit of banta there)

I still see no comments from the Pro-brewster camp to convince me he should still be in charge come christmas and ultimately, the january transfer window.

I am niether pro nor anti Brewster but I am supportive of the team that is my main interest in life outside my family and work.

Lets look back. from the bedinning of last season to january we were excellent. I think we lost five out of eighteen games. Since january we have been abysmal. Whats happened since then. Brewster has ripped the backbone out of the team. Rankin, Bayne, Hart, Wyness, all out the door. Wyness is now coming onto form at Midden, the other three doing very well at their respective clubs. Others will go this january. Why? Because they have not been afraid to speak their minds but have been hit by a wall of arrogance?

Yes we can all say that Brewster is learning but to learn he needs to be a leader, a team builder, someone who others will willingly follow. Someone who will take time to sit and listen, who will coach and cajole. Someone who, not only commands but, returns respect. Someone who can make judgement and issue justifiable criticism and at the same time accept criticism and advice. Someone who can be both arrogant and humble. All the attributes of effective leadership.

As each day goes by he is showing that he is not getting any closer to adopting any of the aforesaid attributes.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

Guest Spectre

Lets look back. from the bedinning of last season to january we were excellent. I think we lost five out of eighteen games. Since january we have been abysmal. Whats happened since then. Brewster has ripped the backbone out of the team. Rankin, Bayne, Hart, Wyness, all out the door. Wyness is now coming onto form at Midden, the other three doing very well at their respective clubs. Others will go this january. Why? Because they have not been afraid to speak their minds but have been hit by a wall of arrogance?

Well we weren't that excellent at the start of last season - 6 losses on the trot, 1 manager forced out (supposedly because he couldn't even go for a meal with his family in Inverness without being put upon).

The backbone of the team? Surely not. Hart played once or twice, Bayne well he worked hard but used to be slagged off on here pretty regularly. People post this stuff about 'x doing well', I looked up a week or so ago and Hart didn't even start for County. Wyness, is he really SPL standard now, 1 goal in a year.

McGeady's just been fined/banned for 2 weeks for challenging WGS. Like it or not it's the managers job to manage. If the manager doesn't seem "arrogant" he's weak and vice versa.

I would like to make the Paul Ince v. Craig Brewster argument...

BOTH - Well respected players of their time with managers, players and fans alike all in agreement

Brewster - 3 (2 and a half or whatever) seasons as a manager and still classed as inexperienced

Ince - 1st time in charge as a manager and classed as inexperienced

Brewster - Still considered to be learning his trade

Ince - He was learning his trade

Brewster - Left 1 club to go to another which showed where his heart really lay, and did not last long after a poor run of results and fired

Ince - Fired from his 1st job after poor run of results

Brewster - (Until last night had us second bottom)

Ince - Was fired from club after leading club to second bottom

Brewster - Has a board which seem scared to fire him

Ince - had a board which fired him

Now thats just some points, I could go on but from these alone I see some striking similarities and some differences. Some on here argue that Brewster is still 'learning his trade' but so was Ince and he was sacked anyway after a poor run! The board knew he wasn't up for the job and for the good of their club let him go. So why shouldn't Brewster go? He's been at 2 clubs, leaving Caley the 1st time around without doing anything really special, to go and screw up at United, only to come back here and screw us up! Why should he be allowed? Why is it 1 rule for other teams, and another for us? Ince was sacked because he wasn't the man for the job... Brewster isn't the man for the job either! He HAS HAD HIS CHANCE! TWICE! More than Ince is getting and I'm sure if a Blackburn fan came on here to see the state of what we're in and how they were in the same predicament then they would tell us to get rid of Brewster. It's like shooting a deer then just waiting for it to die rather than put it out of its misery. It isn't personal against Brewster, but it is a football team we all love and want to see do well, and while Brewster carries on then we won't see that.

Oh and this is just a wee bit for all the pro-Brewster camp from an actual functioning board..

Williams was publicly critical of Blackburn's display in what proved to be Ince's final game, the 3-0 defeat at Wigan on Saturday.

He added: "The survival of the club in the Premier League is paramount and our focus is on finding a replacement who will be able to maintain our top-division status."

A statement released on the Blackburn website said: "The board, having selected Paul Ince back in June, were desperate for him to succeed and wanted to give him as much time as possible in the unforgiving environment of the Premier League, where time is such a precious commodity."

Brewster has done the same amount and still remains. But the Blackburn board states clearly what the clubs intentions are and that should be the same as every club INCLUDING ours

Well we weren't that excellent at the start of last season - 6 losses on the trot, 1 manager forced out (supposedly because he couldn't even go for a meal with his family in Inverness without being put upon).

The backbone of the team? Surely not. Hart played once or twice, Bayne well he worked hard but used to be slagged off on here pretty regularly. People post this stuff about 'x doing well', I looked up a week or so ago and Hart didn't even start for County. Wyness, is he really SPL standard now, 1 goal in a year.

McGeady's just been fined/banned for 2 weeks for challenging WGS. Like it or not it's the managers job to manage. If the manager doesn't seem "arrogant" he's weak and vice versa.

What a load of codswallop. Do you just enjoy picking holes in anything anyone posts of can you back up your statements. Hart has had 15 starts and scored 3 for County this season. Bayne 16 starts and 4 goals. Wyness will come good again. And for your info Hart had 115 starts and 49 sub appearances for us and scored 15 goals. He wasn't given a chance after Brewster came back.

And your analogy on managers went out when they stopped puting children up chimneys.

Guest Spectre

What a load of codswallop.

'From the beginning of last season we were excellent' = codswallop

'Rankin, Bayne, Hart, Wyness backbone of the team' = codswallop

Do you just enjoy picking holes in anything anyone posts of can you back up your statements.

This forum is littered with posts blaming Brewster for everything, distorting every event or occurrence into a reason to slag Brewster. I'm redressing the balance, something that's sorely missing on this site.

For example, there's a post somewhere where someone says 'I met Brew and he wasn't arrogant but as everyone on the site says he is I assume he is really'.

And your analogy on managers went out when they stopped puting children up chimneys.

Between yesterday when WGS fined/banned McGeady and today, then.