FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Potential Concert at

Feb82000

Is RockNess not quite big?

8 miles from inverness which most folk down south would consider to be round the corner really, I'd say that blows that argument out of the water but agree that an event of that scale will never happen within the city limits primarily because there is no suitable venue available (did I really say city limits :D ). Bught Park is used by local football leagues and there would be an absolute mess left behind for the council tax payer to fund.

It blows nothing out of the water.

Rockness attracts half the attendance being talked about (on any one day) and a major portion of those attending a Festival will bring their own accommodation (tent/caravan). Also, with a festival you generally don't get everyone arriving or leaving at the same time.

It's a very different thing from hosting a 3 or 4 hour concert which will attract more of the kind of people who aren't looking to get bladdered and slum it in a tent. 40,000 to 50,000 people all arriving for a specific time and leaving at a specific time.....a logistical impossibility anywhere in or around Inverness. Accommodating even 20% of those in hotels and B&B....just not possible, even if you were to book every available bed in and around the area.

40,000 to 50,000 people all arriving for a specific time and leaving at a specific time.....a logistical impossibility anywhere in or around Inverness.

I missed that bit. It would be ridiculous to expect 40-50000 people to attend a 3 or 4 hour concert in Inverness anyway. The carbon footprint would be bigger than Loch Ness.

I was just trying to show that it can and has been done here, but agree that for a one off concert it would be unthinkable though.

The RockNess site has to be purpose built for the event. These are massive operations with miles of temporary security fencing erected, stages etc. It would not be viable to build the site for a three/four hour concert. The ideal, would be a ready made site, but the only stadiums in Scotland capable of holding these crowds are in the central belt.

Would I go and see Stewart if he came along.......probably, his early stuff was built around me.

The RockNess site has to be purpose built for the event. These are massive operations with miles of temporary security fencing erected, stages etc. It would not be viable to build the site for a three/four hour concert.

Eh? Why not? i have seen several bands do it on glasgow green..(the last being Radiohead last summer)..which is basically the same as the bught (big open space with no fencing). Fair enuff, i think it holds about 30 000. And thats with no ready made car parking near also! It just be cool to see a big act play up here. even in a marquee. Some of the big ones can hold about 20 000+ people.