FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Six games into the season

Alex MacLeod

We sit fourth just below Dundee.

I cant be bothered looking out pre-season threads on the debate about favourites for the league but I do remember pointing out to some that we shouldn't get tied up in the Us v Dundee for the league debate but instead watch other teams. Teams who over the last two or three years have quietly built up for the challenge.

We have been blinded by the Dundee signings and have believed them to be superior. I hear from good authority that the new money man there is not happy with Jocky Scott and further turmoil could ensue there.

Are we losing sight of the fact that, whilst we watch Dundee results, Raith and County are pulling away? I dont recall anyone predicting the present situation.

Who would have thought it eh, Raith - the newly promoted 1st division side, and County - the worst team in the world (or i wish).

This is a long haul league, and basically ive reaslised it really is anyones for the taking. We all know it takes consistency to win this league, so far its Raith and County who have had this. But, although i cant predict the future, im thinking this two teams good runs will come to and end. I dont know why, i just feel that they have had a good run just now, but dont see it lasting.

I totally agree with you on one thing though, Dundee are definitely not ones to watch. They spent big, but as i said to alot of friends, this doesnt always mean you win games! And this has totally been the case.

Until we sort out our home form, and stop this good week, bad week, good week, bad week, we will probably be sitting where we are come the end of the season.

I think that it is more about taking a deep breath and taking everything into perspective. Butcher was dragged in to all of this at the end of the Jan 09 transfer window and had to manage a team built by incompetent others. He has probably had limited funding again this season and he aint been helped by the apparent loss of form of Foran and the injuries to Imrie and Eric. He has brought in players and quite rightly has given them the first chance - but now is the time to restock and rethink.

I always thought that this would be a struggle and I think that a few are still harbouring the anger and disappointment of the Brewster debacle - it is Brewster and the muppets who took us down - not Butcher. We do not have the god send to simply go back up - we have to fight for it and I feel that the passion is sadly lacking in some quarters - again that is for the manager to sort out.

But we have lost only one of 10 competetive games this season - sadly the worst possible home defeat of the lot - but who wanted it most on the day. We are in the semi of the Alba Cup and just off the pace in the league. We have had five clean sheets and only conceded 8 goals in 10 games - we have played 4 of our 6 league games away from home - the Tinks have played 4 of their 6 at home - we have also played Dundee, Dumfermline and the Tinks. It all goes down to the old story - creating and scoring goals and our home form.

Raith and the Tinks will have their bad patch so I would rather have them just ahead than Dundee or Dunfermline. We are the favourites and teams like Airdrie will always raise their game against us - we have to get a mean streak and start killing those teams early doors.

We have got our problems and thay are plain to see - now is the time for Butcher to stand up and be counted - he has no more excuses from here on in. Lets hope he is up to it - I think that he is.

You always get a diddy team outperforming their true position at the start of a league, which in this case, is C*unty.

IMHO, we should have been aiming to be sitting with 11-12 pts at this time....so we are behind what i would have expected.

I go along with all you say there Johndo. I think its the mean streak thats missing. That and the need for McBain or Duncan to start in central mid.

We have two home games to come against Pathetic and Dumfries then away to Kircaldy and I would expect at least seven points from those. Butcher will then have had a chance to assess, and hopefully have sussed out, the strong points and weaknesses of all in our division and will know how to set up shop for the next set of fixtures.

All in all I'm happy with where we are at the minute and so long as we can stay in touch with the top teams we will have the will and the drive to fight for the league come the last set of fixtures.

It IS between us and Dundee, undoubtedly the top two Teams at the end of the Season.

Early days and no consistency.

No panic either, we'll start our bid for glory soon - we're just settling in nicely.

Enjoy.

There is no way County or Raith have the ability to sustain any sort of challenge.

County have yet to play the 'big' teams like Pars, Partick and Dundee. I think they will come up short when they face them.

They beat us but it's fair to say they played well, and we had an off day. I expect a result next time.

As for Dundee? The games so far have shown they are far from unbeatable. The same goes for us aswell however.

Expect it to be between ourselves, C*unty, Dundee and Pars for the league. If we are to have a chance though, then gaining consistency will most definitely be key for us.

Only time will tell...

We sit fourth just below Dundee.

Er, we are fifth, Dundee at sixth - Link

I think what we should have learned from the first six games are that, perhaps with the exception of Morton who could be whipping boys, there aren't any easy games or 'gimmes' in this league. County have had the best start but yesterday could only beat newly promoted Ayr by a single goal. I think we'll see a very close league with only around six points seperating the sides in the top half until well into 2010 when the contenders will pull away.

What I do think we need it to put either Russell or Roy back into midfield and drop Stratford. I also can't wait for Imrie to get back and put Eagle on the bench. A midfield of Russell hodling with Cox going box-to-box with Imrie on the left and Hayes on the right sounds tasty to me.

We need to improve our home form also - we've only had two home games from six yet these have both been disappointing results. Three of our next four league games are at home - I'd say we have to win at least two of those to give us some momentum in terms of home performances.

Raith and County will fall away. Raith will be down the bottom but will stay up and I reckon County will finish 4th or 5th.

I think both of sets of fans will openly admit that they wont be winning the league but are just going to enjoy it while it lasts

I think we are still gelling as a team as after all it is only 6 games but Duncan and McBain need to come in for Stratford and Eagle.

If we can keep in touch with Dundee, Dunfermline, Partick and maybe even Queens while we are still gelling we will hopefully come into our own and scrape ahead of them

It will still be a hell of a challenge and it is not going to be pretty but I think we have seen that on our day we can be the best in the league. I just hope it is going to start beinf "our day" more often than not

Raith and County will fall away. Raith will be down the bottom but will stay up and I reckon County will finish 4th or 5th.

I think both of sets of fans will openly admit that they wont be winning the league but are just going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Cue SPECKY and NoBalls coming on now to claim the tinks are gonna win the league..

I dunno about the rest of your post jaggie.. If we don't get a grip sooner rather than later I can see C*unty finishing ahead of us. Just.

Raith will be mid-table.

Think its still far too early to say how things are going to go. The league is still settling down and this topic should be saved for at least another 10 games.

All the teams are dropping points left right and centre and its too hard to tell as dundee, partick, dunfermline and ourselves have done nothing to suggest that they might go on a run of results. Think we will be right up there though and im happy with the team butcher is building.

One thing is for sure! County will not be up there!! Wasnt that impressed by them and to be honest we handed them a victory on a plate. Lets see where they are come december!!

County have yet to play the 'big' teams like Pars, Partick and Dundee. I think they will come up short when they face them.

They have played us away and beaten us 3-1, outplayed us, looked fitter/stronger and looked like they wanted it more. Are we a "big team" in this league I would like to think so.

I know your not ruling out County Kev but others are and I don't think we should, just because we hate them and they are our arch rivals. There is something there at the moment which we don't have.

They have played us away and beaten us 3-1, outplayed us, looked fitter/stronger and looked like they wanted it more. Are we a "big team" in this league I would like to think so.

I know your not ruling out County Kev but others are and I don't think we should, just because we hate them and they are our arch rivals. There is something there at the moment which we don't have.

I did mention the fact that they beat us in my post but you seem to have taken it out of your quote.. :D

Yeah, totally agree they shouldn't be ruled out. As much as I don't believe they will win the league, I can still see them finishing ahead of us the way things are atm.

We'll see by the end of the first set of fixtures how they're faring tho, having played every team. By the time they play us next time round, I expect they will have been knocked off their perch, and I'm gonna stick my neck out and say we are gonnna have learned from the last time, and Terry & Mo will have the boys fired up for a win in that one.

I still believe that come the end of the season the top four, in no particular order, will be ourselves, Dundee, Partick and Dunfermline.

I take comfort from the fact that each of these teams have had just as indifferent a start to the season as ourselves.

Agree with all of that