FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher

I know that it is one game but yesterday filled me with more confidence than I have had in a long time. If we can put the same effort and desire in at home - then we can only go upwards - Shurely Morton and Airdrie provide us with a chance to re-establish the home performance.

And as fer the fans - get behind the team and Butcher. Leave the criticism to the pub or the forum - would love to know what TB and the players thought of the support yesterday.

Lets hope it's the start of a nice wee run up to Xmas. If all goes to plan then we could be sitting around the head of the chart. if it was a one off, then it's back to the drawing board for Buther and Mo.

Lets hope it's the start of a nice wee run up to Xmas. If all goes to plan then we could be sitting around the head of the chart. if it was a one off, then it's back to the drawing board for Buther and Mo.

We're going to get 9/9 over the next 3 games.

Sanchez looks better in every match and I think he's quickly on his way to establishing himself as our key player. With the great away form I can't wait to hit the gudgie terracing.

Edited by Top Six Next Year

Don't think "effort and desire" have been an issue and would like to ask one question of those who were at the game.

Did you get the impression that we relied a little less on a rigid game plan and more on cutting the players loose a little and letting them just go out there and get on with doing the job?

i wasnt at the game yesterday but i wish i had. if the performance was as gd as people say it was then i cant wait til morton next weekend when hopefully we will have a spring in our step after this lets just hope tb allows the players to be free and we will be celebrating our 1st win at home this season :D

Don't think "effort and desire" have been an issue and would like to ask one question of those who were at the game.

Did you get the impression that we relied a little less on a rigid game plan and more on cutting the players loose a little and letting them just go out there and get on with doing the job?

Im not really sure tbh. Everytime our defenders got the ball Foran and Imrie were all over the Ayr full backs so it was pretty much a 4-2-4 when we had the ball at the back. I it was definetly a much more attacking style and possibly a little more freedom was given to the players but there was still a lot of structure to the formation.

We were never in danger of getting caught on the counter and were very solid at the back. There was still a lot of structure to the way we played but I think the "flair" players in our team were let of the leash so to speak

The game plan definitely involved letting Imrie, Foran and Sanchez off the leash to some extent. There was a lot of interchanging, with Foran and Imrie swapping wings a few times and Sanchez dropping off into space as he always does.

Of course, this was only possible because Proctor, Duncan and the full-backs played disciplined roles behind them.

Not from where I was sitting. Malpas and Butcher were never sitting on the bench at the same time, either one of them always up shouting instructions. Foran gave Butcher some back on one occasion. Poor wee Imrie got bawled at to get to the front post for one of our corner kicks, he was looking back at the dugout and running there at the same time just to make sure he got TB's instructions right. Result: the ball went 20 feet over his head ("It was a dummy run" - Butcher).

Nevertheless what impressed me most, apart from the workrate in heavy conditions, was the movement off the ball. The Ayr defence were AWOL yesterday but still, credit to our players for exploiting it to the max. We played into the wind first half and any hoof up the park wasn't getting any sort of penetration. From memory the 4 first half goals all resulted from passing moves (rose tinted memory specs, I may not be 100% correct with that claim). So whether it was TB who ordered them to try and keep it on the deck or they figured it out themselves, I wouldn't want to speculate

The game plan was out of Pele's book of tactics. When we went 2-1 up I thought: here we go this'll be 4-5. Score if you want we'll just score one more! It was quite refreshing.

By the way, chant of the day for me was "We know how you're feeling" to the Ayr fans at 1-5.

By the way, chant of the day for me was "We know how you're feeling" to the Ayr fans at 1-5.

I am an Ayr fan (& also do the match video). I thought the singing from the Inverness fans was the best I have heard from away fans in the league for a while. Virtually non-stop singing and quite a varied songbook. Well done!

(My favourites were "No pies in Ayrshire" & "There's only one Dean Keenan" after he was awarded the MotM.. very magnanimous!)

I was shocked when I saw the team lines yesterday. The look of the side filled me with more confidence than I've had for some considerable time.

I've been fiercely critical of Butcher, his team selections and player purchases have been very poor.

However if El Tel has finally seen the light, and going by yesterdays team, it would appear, he has, then he will get my full backing.

Yesterday's result shouldn't be a one off, we may well have turned the corner !

I would still like to see McBain back involved mind you.

Well - I think that we did go with a "plan" and that was to keep it tight at the back - basically ensuring that we had at least five outfield players behind the ball at all times - Granty and Bulvitis were evidently two and only went forward fer dead ball ploys - Golly was evidently told to stick and Proctor and Duncan holding as well - that gave Rosscoe a bit more freedom to move forward.

It looked like the ploy was to play Imrie and Foran as wide as possible which gave Sanchez the room he requires. I thought Rooney did a great job and practically kept their two central defenders on the back foot all the game.

But to me it was the clear direction to try and play football and go forward that was the most encouraging - and not to shut up shop but to go fer the jugular - I was fearful that we would go in to a more defensive mode when we equalised but we went fer it.

It was to me clearly an orchestrated game plan - the players appeared to relax, they were able to play to their strengths and it was pure enjoyment.

And lets face it - we had a wee albeit vocal following yesterday - We have surpassed it on many previous occasions but there was the old "togetherness" / the craic with the players and the management. And lets say a few positives about the stewarding as well.

The players were given freedom to express themselves and enjoyed the experience - the same can be said fer the fans.

Bring on the Tinks :(

I know that it is one game but yesterday filled me with more confidence than I have had in a long time. If we can put the same effort and desire in at home - then we can only go upwards - Shurely Morton and Airdrie provide us with a chance to re-establish the home performance.

And as fer the fans - get behind the team and Butcher. Leave the criticism to the pub or the forum - would love to know what TB and the players thought of the support yesterday.

Dear Middle-aged guy with the dodgy goatee, and teeth like Dracula's...

Assuming the team do put in the same effort and desire at home, there won't be any problems with the home support getting behind them... :lol:

A 5:1 win away from home is a massive result in any football team's language. Providing TB has the sense to leave half of his new signings out, and stick with guys that produced that result - and also sticks with the attack-minded set-up and tactics, this team is more than capable of mounting a serious challenge to those around the top of this league.

I am an Ayr fan (& also do the match video). I thought the singing from the Inverness fans was the best I have heard from away fans in the league for a while. Virtually non-stop singing and quite a varied songbook. Well done!

(My favourites were "No pies in Ayrshire" & "There's only one Dean Keenan" after he was awarded the MotM.. very magnanimous!)

Thankyou for that wonderful link... shame Im to tight to pay for a weekly pass to see the video. Ha Ha! :lol:

Well - I think that we did go with a "plan" and that was to keep it tight at the back - basically ensuring that we had at least five outfield players behind the ball at all times - Granty and Bulvitis were evidently two and only went forward fer dead ball ploys - Golly was evidently told to stick and Proctor and Duncan holding as well - that gave Rosscoe a bit more freedom to move forward.

It looked like the ploy was to play Imrie and Foran as wide as possible which gave Sanchez the room he requires. I thought Rooney did a great job and practically kept their two central defenders on the back foot all the game.

But to me it was the clear direction to try and play football and go forward that was the most encouraging - and not to shut up shop but to go fer the jugular - I was fearful that we would go in to a more defensive mode when we equalised but we went fer it.

I think you got it spot on ! Proctor - Duncan were the holding midfield - as I've said before Foran is at his best on the wing and so is Dougie - Rooney well Im delighted for him to have got a start ( and a goal but then again never doubted that he would'nt score given the chance ) well Rooney's job was to battered and hold the centre halfs so as any loose balls etc could be picked up by Foran, Imrie - and Sanchez well he does whats he good at picking out the pass - I just hope Butcher plays the same team on Saturday.

And lets face it - we had a wee albeit vocal following yesterday - We have surpassed it on many previous occasions but there was the old "togetherness" / the craic with the players and the management. And lets say a few positives about the stewarding as well.

The players were given freedom to express themselves and enjoyed the experience - the same can be said fer the fans.

Bring on the Tinks :lol:

TB said last night that the formation was 4-2-3-1 and that they had worked on this during the week. So a lot more attacking, which was great to hear and to watch too. He also said that he's looking forward to Odhiambo being back soon.

would love to know what TB and the players thought of the support yesterday

He said they were wonderful and mentioned the "We are staying up" chant. He was very enthusiastic and complimentary about the support. (even the home support)

He he - why thank you! :lol:

Dear Middle-aged guy with the dodgy goatee, and teeth like Dracula's...

Assuming the team do put in the same effort and desire at home, there won't be any problems with the home support getting behind them... :blink:

A 5:1 win away from home is a massive result in any football team's language. Providing TB has the sense to leave half of his new signings out, and stick with guys that produced that result - and also sticks with the attack-minded set-up and tactics, this team is more than capable of mounting a serious challenge to those around the top of this league.

We were singing from the moment the team came out - we started chanting for Esson within seconds of his feck up. The team inspires the fans but it is also vice versa.

Iv always liked Terry Butcher but i think his choice of becoming a first time manager was wrongly decided. He should become an Assistant manager. Plymouth would be perfect for him. Big teams, Bigger Money and a chance to learn more experience and gain confidence in his managerial skills.