Next Scotland manager

Yngwie

Assuming Alex Ferguson, Davie Moyes (although he's taken an underfunded Everton as far as they can) and Owen Coyle (he's Scots really) rule themselves out (as seem likely) and we're only employing Scots (I disagree that any international team should have a foreign manager - why shouldn't the USA be able to have all foreign players from Spain and Italy then? What's the difference between a player and a manager?)

1. Craig Levein (good on limited resources but I don't think he wants the job)

2. Jim Jefferies (wonders with Falkirk and Hearts, plus keeping Killie in the SPL despite the cuts - also at the right age where he might fancy a crack)

3. George Graham (been out of it but no denying his talent)

4. Kenny Dalglish (see George Graham)

5. Bobby Williamson (did well at Hibs and especially Killie, plus international experience)

6. Jimmy Calderwood (improved Dunfermline and Aberdeen - might not be popular though with some)

7. Paul Sturrock (did amazingly well with Plymouth, with successes at St Johnstone, Sheffield Wed, Swindon)

8. Joe Jordan (thought he was a decent manager but too content to stay in the shadows?)

9. Graeme Souness (mixed track record as a manager despite big name players - not for me, unless someone like Jordan/Dalglish etc is an assistant)

10. Gary McAllister/Ally McCoist etc (be a decent club manager before international surely)

No mention of Billy Davies there? He'd be my choice, I think, though he's highly unlikely to take it. He had a good record at Preston on a relatively modest budget and seems to be starting to get it right at Forest. Intelligent guy too, and served a decent apprenticeship as a coach.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of that lot I'd say:

1. Craig Levein

Would be a fool to take the Scotland job right now, he's doing pretty well with DUFC. Might not be a too as Scotland manager mind.

2. Jim Jefferies

Don't kow about him. Done quite well it Killie and Hearts before hand but don't know how good he'd be at international level.

3. George Graham

Been out of the game awfully long. Wasn't too bad at Spurs IIRC.

4. Kenny Dalglish

Nah, wouldn't want him. Can't seem to string two words together these days anyway.

5. Bobby Williamson

No way. He might be boss at Liberia, but he only has one tactic - punt, punt, punt.

6. Jimmy Calderwood

Don't know how good he'd be. Wasn't too bad at Aberdeen though, despite being essentially forced out.

7. Paul Sturrock

He's not doing so well at Plymouth but would probably be a good choice. No chance he'd take it though, with his current health problems. If he goes anywhere it'll be to retirement.

8. Joe Jordan

Proven player, but seems to be more of an assistant than an all out manager.

9. Graeme Souness

Might be quite good, but has already ruled himself out. I don't blame him.

10. Gary McAllister/Ally McCoist etc

How good he would be at international level is hard to tell, but his record at Leeds was quite good (55% according to Wikipedia).

As you can see, there's no-one on that list who really stands out as an out and out good choice.

Although Souness has ruled himself out he has said that he does not want to go back to club management but that international management he would welcome. [LINK] He has already applied twice, if the SFA offered him the job he'd take it IMO. However I was at an event recently and when Gordon Smith was asked about why Souness didn't get the job he said it was because he was unwilling to relocate to Scotland. Whether that is a fair consideration or not is another matter.

I think my prefered choices would be Souness, George Graham, Smith or maybe Joe Jordan. However I suspect Jim Jefferies will be the next man in charge. (and Gus McP will then go to Killie)

I have to be honest I don't see Craig Levein taking it. He dislikes the SFA and why would he leave Dundee Utd when with the work he is doing there and did previously at Hearts will probably be in line for the next Old Firm job available. Or instead he could join Scotland and the players will not have a dramatic improvement on recent performances and there are not really any other options.

I think it will be Gary McAllister as he is one of the few candidates currently not in a job.

I actually think that we should hold fire until January when Henry McLeish is due to deliver the first two (from three) reports/recommendations following the Scottish Football Review.

We will want/need a manager in place who is willing to take up and deliver on these recommendations and there's little to be gained from appointing someone who is opposed to them.

Craig Levein would be the desired choice, but he'd be a madman to leave United for it.

McLeish won't leave Birmingham, however Smith may return to it I think.

Don't want Souness getting it, liking the Billy Stark shout though, that could be interesting.

The obvious choice would be Pele Paterson , replace one drunk with another :005:

You know what, that is bang out of f****** order. I wont say what is in my head right now because I would have to ban myself for abusing another poster, but even with the smilie your comment is inappropriate.

The obvious choice would be Pele Paterson , replace one drunk with another :005:

You know what, that is bang out of f****** order. I wont say what is in my head right now because I would have to ban myself for abusing another poster, but even with the smilie your comment is inappropriate.

It was a f****** joke , lighten up mun .

Souness ruled himself out, he has been out of the game too long anyway imo, though his kind of record is what we need.

Woudn't object to Walter coming back at all either and Craig Levein may be a good choice but i don't see him leaving Dundee United. Ex internationals like McAllister or McCoist would be intresting though they may be too much of a gamble. Wonder if Christian Dailly is intrested in the job.

You sir, are a *****. Further highlighted by your later post where you actually think your comment might have contained some humour!!!

(Mods, I'm more than happy to take the warning hit on this one)

The obvious choice would be Pele Paterson , replace one drunk with another :)

I edited your original post before noticing it has been quoted in further posts. If you had been at the book launch, read some of the book or even met the guy you would realise how childish and tasteless that was.

Certainly not my idea of humour - I'm not going to delete it from the quotes so that your fellow posters can see if any of them are impressed by you immaturity.

At least a retraction and apology would be worth considering. The guy hasn't had a drink for 14 months now - can you say the same???????

You sir, are a *****. Further highlighted by your later post where you actually think your comment might have contained some humour!!!

(Mods, I'm more than happy to take the warning hit on this one)

Abusive remark removed and warning level increased. Please refrain from using this language, and personal abuse

Craig Levein. Not only for manager but to head up a revolution in the way the SFA develops football talent at all levels. I'm always impressed when i hear him talking about football and believe that he has the energy and focus to instigate real change in the game here.

Aside from all of the that, he's the only realistic candidate with a good record of improving teams at club level. In his 4 seasons at Hearts they finished 3rd, 5th, 3rd, 3rd. This is as consistent as any non-OF club has been in the last 20 years. Consecutive 5th place finishes at Dundee United may look less impressive on paper but placed in the context of that club's recent history (and not forgetting who preceded him in the job) it represents a major turnaround in their fortunes.

His silence today suggests to me that he's interested - i really hope the SFA don't **** this up.

I edited your original post before noticing it has been quoted in further posts. If you had been at the book launch, read some of the book or even met the guy you would realise how childish and tasteless that was.

Certainly not my idea of humour - I'm not going to delete it from the quotes so that your fellow posters can see if any of them are impressed by you immaturity.

At least a retraction and apology would be worth considering. The guy hasn't had a drink for 14 months now - can you say the same???????

No I cant say the same but on the other hand I'm not using alcoholism to flog a book !

No I cant say the same but on the other hand I'm not using alcoholism to flog a book !

Ooohhh Contraversial!!

The obvious choice would be Pele Paterson , replace one drunk with another :D

Ooohhh Contraversial!!

More disgusting than contraversial.

Dalneigh Caley, what possible reason would you have to attack Pele in this way? The man who has given all ICT fans the best memories by far, and is probably the sole reason we ever got near the SPL. I can understand a County fan saying this but never an ICT fan.

Anyway, imo success as a club manager does not mean success as an international manager. In my opinion the tp three things are:

1. Motivation

2. Tactical know-how

3. Knowledge

1. Motivation - Walter Smith

2. Tactical know-how - Walter Smith/ Craig Brown

3. Knowledge - Jim Jeffries/Walter Smith/Craig Brown

So, WS it is.