Official - County game is OFF

strathyjags

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was looking forward to the game today but wasnt looking forward to getting there and thats coming from someone who does a lot of miles, the compacted snow is just turning to ice with more snow on top.

I would say its quiete likely that the game could have been abandoned today anyway with more snow forecast.

and skifreak can you please let me know what type of vehicle you drive.

I think we've had maybe 3 previously called off? A game v Clyde was one I think and perhaps one against Morton. Was there not a Derby game called off previously?

I remember a sunday game against celtic being called off - all the sultana cameras were there etc and the pics were just showing the gales on the tv and we turned up at the ground not even realising it was off :rolleyes:

Just got back home having gone up to Nairn for New Year so I could go to today's game. Highly p*ssed off at its cancellation. Drove up the A9/A96 on the 30th no problem, did the A96 on the 31st and yesterday no problem, and coming down the A9 today it was better than it had been on the the 30th, clear roads all the way.

There is no way I can get to the rescheduled game. Not pleased at all. Bl**dy police. :rolleyes: :) :D

Now that the game has been prosponed to a midweek tie, I'm worried that the game won't have the same atmosphere (on both sides) and the attendence will be significantly lower

...but the result will still be a convincing ICT win! **heres hoping!**

I would love three points but surley in a game against the tinks you would want a cracking good atmosphere

So what's the answer.......summer football?

Yes. A long overdue change it would be too. Would tie in much better with the International calendar, European calendar for those involved in Euro competition... More fans going to watch a game while basking in sunshine, or at least not having to invest in thermal underwear to stay alive, makes the product infinitely much more attractive.

It has always seemed like absolute madness to me that we play outdoor sport in the months with the worst weather.

Now that the game has been prosponed to a midweek tie, I'm worried that the game won't have the same atmosphere (on both sides) and the attendence will be significantly lower

...but the result will still be a convincing ICT win! **heres hoping!**

I would love three points but surley in a game against the tinks you would want a cracking good atmosphere

Whether its 50 or 5,000, you always get a cracking good atmosphere against the Caravan Dwellers

A good discussion. I couldn't have got to the game as I only finally managed to dig myself out an hour ago, nevertheless, I think the game should have gone ahead unless there were good reasons why the club was unable to stage it.

I agree with the argument that if the police can advise or direct the postponement of a football match, them why not other activities? Are the pubs being closed? I think not! Somebody else mentioned the ski slopes - how on earth can it be unsafe to stage a football match in the town but be fine to allow folk to drive 2,500ft up a windswept mountain?

Advice not to travel unless your journey is absolutely necessary is the police just covering their backs. The fact is that any journey you ever take has risk associated with it and as long as we have some accurate information about weather condidtions then we can decide whether that information changes our minds to travel or not. I think it is wrong that when some folk have made some real effort to get up for the game, it is called off because the police won't allow us to make our own decisions.

I don't know what the statistics are but because people generally drive more cautiously in the snow so that whilst there may be more accidents, they tens to be pretty minor. There are probably more people killed or seriously injured on the roads when there is no snow. People are much more at risk when the roads are wet and it then freezes - this happens a lot but would a game be called off because a weather forcast predicted that there may be a shower or two and the temperature may fall to freezing? Again, I think not!

This is the increasing influence of the nanny state gone mad. Let us make our own decisions, please!

By the end of this month there may need to be a serious look at how this area deals with and responds to wintry weather - life can't stop for a month or more at a time because of a bit of snow!

This is an interesting debate .... much as it screws up many of our weekends before we go back to work on Monday (even mine, listening to it from afar) , I believe the authorities and club were correct to call the game off. You just cant mess with the health and safety of those who would be working at the game in some capacity or those who would be travelling to it ... end of story.

However, now that I live over here, I have a different appreciation for trying to navigate through wintery weather to work or to the shops etc. So far this winter we have had an extremely mild one with only one snowfall at the beginning of December and nothing much since. Temperatures have only really dipped below zero since Xmas (its -14 right now but dont think its too windy so not much of a windchill) and this is great as far as I am concerned .... but it is not typical !!!

Some may remember me posting pictures last year and the year before (re-attached a few at the bottom of this post), and I remember a fair few were wishing they had the same amount of snow we had so they could play in it or shovel it up etc ..... it was a novelty for you guys then, but all I can say to you now is "be careful what you wish for" or "welcome to my world" (of the last couple of years). Our last two winters saw temperatures in Toronto plummet to -30 or lower (without windchill) and we were getting snowfalls on a daily basis sometimes of a foot or more. By the time the worst was over in Feb/Mar my snow pile (ie. shovelled snow from my driveway at the side of my garden) was 12 foot high !!!

However - not one day of work was missed (by me at least) because our roads, as bad as they were, got ploughed quickly and people just got one with it. I think the authorities here are ready for it and know it is gonna come so just stay prepared and put a well oiled procedure into place as soon as they need to. They dont plough the roads until at least 5cm (2 inches) have fallen but once its gone over that level you see gritters, ploughs and even mini-ploughs doing the pavements all over the place ... usually, give it a couple of hours after a major snowfall and the roads are pretty well clear ..... It doesnt stop the accidents of course but my point is that the roads themselves are safe to drive if you give the conditions the respect they deserve.

Seems to me that there probably does need to be a serious look at how wintery weather is handled back home as even in this "bad" winter you are probably getting maybe what we suffered over the course of one week of last year's winter and although things slowed down here and much snow shovelling was required, things didnt grind to a halt.

Highway driving in Winter (safe uf you take care)

post-2-1262456831_thumb.jpg

Driving on a major road in Winter before the ploughs got to it

post-2-1262456851_thumb.jpg

My back garden after one major snowfall - the table has no snow on it this year !

post-2-1262456869_thumb.jpg

A good discussion. I couldn't have got to the game as I only finally managed to dig myself out an hour ago, nevertheless, I think the game should have gone ahead unless there were good reasons why the club was unable to stage it.

I agree with the argument that if the police can advise or direct the postponement of a football match, them why not other activities? Are the pubs being closed? I think not! Somebody else mentioned the ski slopes - how on earth can it be unsafe to stage a football match in the town but be fine to allow folk to drive 2,500ft up a windswept mountain?

Advice not to travel unless your journey is absolutely necessary is the police just covering their backs. The fact is that any journey you ever take has risk associated with it and as long as we have some accurate information about weather condidtions then we can decide whether that information changes our minds to travel or not. I think it is wrong that when some folk have made some real effort to get up for the game, it is called off because the police won't allow us to make our own decisions.

I don't know what the statistics are but because people generally drive more cautiously in the snow so that whilst there may be more accidents, they tens to be pretty minor. There are probably more people killed or seriously injured on the roads when there is no snow. People are much more at risk when the roads are wet and it then freezes - this happens a lot but would a game be called off because a weather forcast predicted that there may be a shower or two and the temperature may fall to freezing? Again, I think not!

This is the increasing influence of the nanny state gone mad. Let us make our own decisions, please!

Absolutely, DoofersDad.... Well said... :rolleyes:

Football is, or it used to be, a man's game....Men should surely get to decide whether they are going to, at least attempt to get to a game.

The health & safety obsessed nannies should, quite simply stay at home... look after the kids.... get on with their embroidery, and plan for the man in their life's next meal.

My old man and his old man would be turning in their graves if they knew half of what was going on in this world right now.....

Edited by Johnboy

You do wonder how Russia and Canada don't shut down every winter....

I guess the expense can't be justified here because we don't need ploughs very often but, when we do, we need them desperately. It's strange how every winter the media (yeah, them again) tell us about plummeting temperatures, and risk of heavy snowfall on higher ground. It's happened for the past 25 winters, I know that for sure, and I'm almost certain it's going to happen for the next 25 winters. We know it's coming but, it's just how much I reckon is the problem.

I remember nearly giving up on life a couple of winters ago when we were playing Hibs. Gary Caldwell was the sole reason we won that day, even though the Hibs fans were blaming Ziggy. Anyhoo, it was the second coldest I've ever been at a game (the loss on Penalties against Partick was the coldest) and there was no chat of the game being off. However, as soon as there's some snow involved, like last week, folk start calling for a cancellation. We, the GREAT British Public ? have some deep routed psychological problems when it comes to snow. Snow touched us when we were young and we've never got over it. As someone else was saying, everyone is more careful in the snow plus, anyone that would have went to the game today, would really have wanted to be there. I wish it had been played.

The Police and the Media, there holding us back brothers and sisters.

I reckon i've come round to skifreaks way of thinking,I intended going along today,but as it was off ended up taking wee heilan and his mate down to Reillys,same dodgy roads,same conditions,staff there had to get in etc,sure there would be folk out in dodgy conditions but the end of the day we're all adults and can make decisions based on info given.

So what's the answer.......summer football?

Yes. A long overdue change it would be too. Would tie in much better with the International calendar, European calendar for those involved in Euro competition... More fans going to watch a game while basking in sunshine, or at least not having to invest in thermal underwear to stay alive, makes the product infinitely much more attractive.

It has always seemed like absolute madness to me that we play outdoor sport in the months with the worst weather.

Or we could just have a winter break like normal countries.

Or we could just have a winter break like normal countries.

problem with that though is the worst weather is normally in late Jan early Feb and the Winter break would probably be scheduled for December !

April - November season just like MLS !!! Toronto FC in an open air stadium havent had a single call-off :D

Just got back home having gone up to Nairn for New Year so I could go to today's game. Highly p*ssed off at its cancellation. Drove up the A9/A96 on the 30th no problem, did the A96 on the 31st and yesterday no problem, and coming down the A9 today it was better than it had been on the the 30th, clear roads all the way.

There is no way I can get to the rescheduled game. Not pleased at all. Bl**dy police. :D :008: :008:

Weren't you the lucky one. Yesterday the A9 was closed for a spell both directions due to accidents. The A96 was closed at Huntly. Cockbridge to Tomintoul is still closed. There's no ski-ing on the Lechd cos the roads are closed. A number of roads across the bridge were impassable to all but 4x4's. Its all very well saying things like people can make their own choices but, if the inevitable were to occur and a serious accident was the result then those people who have made the choice to travel are also making the choice to put emergency service personnel at risk.

I always prided myself on being able to drive in those conditions without problem, having never had an accident in all my time of driving. Two weeks ago, driving from Dalwhinnie to Fort-William on hard packed snow at around twenty mph I was going down a slight incline, in second gear. As I turned an easy right handed bend as smooth as I could the back end of my Focus decided to overtake the front end. Had it not been for the banked up snow at the side of the road me, my car and my passengers were over a bank and down a 100 ft drop. Thats how easy it is to have an accident and at the same time how dangerous it would be for emergency service vehicles to attend quickly.

Many people, usually those with no appreciation of the possible risks, will be p!ssed off at the game being called off. I personally support the decision as being the right one.

But the thing is Alex,just cos the gemme was called off,the folk who would have gone don't just sit in the house,they go out and about and do different things,whether it's taking the dog for a walk,going to the sales or visiting Granny and the travel implications and risks are exactly the same.It could be argued the Police would have an easier time controlling a crowd within a designated area and knowing in the main the routes to be used to get there.

The answer to that argument is that it is probably more a question of Police/Emergency Services resources than anything else. The city centre/retail park are expected to be busy with X thousand people and the services can plan for and respond to that, even if they are stretched, as there will be a city wide management plan in place. To dilute coverage by allowing a football match with up to 7,000 additional people congregating in one area, with the potential added strain on the Emergency Services, is too big a ask at this time of year with the extra workload caused by the weather.

Football has always been an additional strain on Emergency Services resources, that is why clubs pick up the tab for extra Policing, etc. In times like this, with the weather as it is, the 'slack' in the Emergency Services rota will be non-existent as it will be all hands on deck dealing with all the issues the majority of us never see. Cancelling the game was the only decision that could be made realistically, and the absolutely correct one.

The answer to that argument is that it is probably more a question of Police/Emergency Services resources than anything else. The city centre/retail park are expected to be busy with X thousand people and the services can plan for and respond to that, even if they are stretched, as there will be a city wide management plan in place. To dilute coverage by allowing a football match with up to 7,000 additional people congregating in one area, with the potential added strain on the Emergency Services, is too big a ask at this time of year with the extra workload caused by the weather.

Football has always been an additional strain on Emergency Services resources, that is why clubs pick up the tab for extra Policing, etc. In times like this, with the weather as it is, the 'slack' in the Emergency Services rota will be non-existent as it will be all hands on deck dealing with all the issues the majority of us never see. Cancelling the game was the only decision that could be made realistically, and the absolutely correct one.

:D :008: :008:

Exellent and very sensable post. You could also have added in response to the flawed arguements of skifreak and others that assembling and dispersing a crowd for a fotoball match is a completely different business from sustaining lifes ongoing essentials like visiting the supermarket. Apart from what you might define as "essential", getting 6000 people into a football stadium in 60-90 minutes and getting them all away from it in 30 is a completely different propositioun from going out in random numbers across the weekend and buying food, petrol etc. And thats before you even start to consider Bridge Enders key point that the Emergency Services really do have much more urgent priorities at times like this than policing a football match which will now comfortably go ahead midweek. And as for the "but what about all the people who travelled from the south" response which will inevitibly come back? Well that's just a risk they have to take at this time of year and they could have taken the decision to stay at home.

Edited by mainstander

I travelled up to Inverness on Friday and the A96 was clear the whole way, yesterday afternoon around 3pm was a completely different story, it took us 4 hours to get back due to the freezing fog and the fact that 90% of the road between Aberdeen and Inverness had not been gritted. As much as i was disappointed the game was off, knowing now how bad the roads were when i travelled im glad i headed back down early as the road was only getting worse as time went on.

Edited by Muzzy