FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

HA HA - Look at Elgin City now!

buckett

I find myself strangely saddened to see our once great rivals (I speak as a mortal Howden Ender of old) propping up the rest of Scottish football.

Nil points from 6 games - quite tragic really.

I remember being in awe of an Elgin City team who swept all opposition aside back in the 60s, and who became the only non-league team ever to reach the Scottish Cup quarter-finals.

Matches against City always had an extra edge - more so than against County or Thistle, as I recall.

I genuinely hope they get themselves sorted out and achieve their rightful place - fighting against Ross County to avoid relegation from Division 1!

Elgin City - The East Stirling of the north.

They have totally under achieved since their arrival in league football.  I thought Brian Irvine might sort them out this term but it does not look like it.

No buckett, they nearly made it to the play-offs and were something like 5th in the league.  Hardly sensational stuff.

I have been amazed at their poor performance since they arrived in the SFL.  With hindsight there is probably one too many league teams in the north of Scotland and Elgin's place would have been better going to someone else.

That's eight consecutive league defeats now and only a result against the mighty Arbroath this week will prevent a 1st quarter white-wash!

Doesn't look too good for our EX-rivals.

Oh dear!

(And yet I find myself hoping that, against all the odds, they manage to scrape at least a draw.)

:015:

It must be only me that thinks that strong local teams would be a benefit for our team.

Ok it's nice to gloat that our former rivals are now down in the doldrums but surely a stronger presence in the leagues would be of beneit to all concerned.

Of late we have failed to attract players beacuse or our location. Maybe if NE teams were doing better in the leagues this wouldn't be so much of an issue. We've taken enough players from County, maybe if Elgin wre doing better we could pinch a few prospects from them?