FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Hi from South Africa

Guest alanb

Greetings from Margate on the lower south coast in South Africa. My name is Alan Butterworth and have quite an interesting history regarding Inverness Caley and Inverness Thistle. I was actually born in Inverness along with my brother and sister, Neil and Fiona. My parents were Dougie Butterworth from Mcewan Drive and my mother Elizabeth Young was from Dalneigh. Anyway long story short as a young boy I was dragged off to darkest Africa(Ghana, Malawi, Rhodesia) and used to visit Inverness from time to time. In fact for a whole year in 1970 I attended the Royal Academy until Dougie, bless his heart decided that the sun called again. I have pleasant memories of watching the old Caley with players such as Dave Johnson and there was a Noble. My grandfather, Tommy Young actually played for them in the 1920's. On the other side of the family my father loved the Jags so I also watched them.

Would love contact with anybody who remembers the family from those days.

Cheers

Alan Butterworth

alanbutterworth@telkomsa.net

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Welcome Alan, lovely part of the world down there, especially Knysna and Wilderness, I have seen many changes in S.A over the last 30 years, some for the better and others not so good, anyway I'm glad to welcome another fan though you wouldn't have been to happy with our performance today, dire seems to be our keyword these days but we live in hope that this is just a phase and we will soon be back to good football again.

Good to hear from you Alan and good to see that you are following the mighty ICT from far away in SA.

I wonder if you are one of the Butterworth's my late mother taught in P1/2 in Lochardil School?

Welcome Alan - think you will be the first pin on our 'member map' residing in Africa ... we have North America, UK, Ireland, Europe, Middle East, China, Japan and Australia and now Africa. Welcome aboard.

Never went to Lochardil school but nice to know you Kynsna. My better half's family live in the Wilderness, actually Hoekwil. Yes good and bad in new SA.

Yes Margate is in fecking England and believe it or not the next town to us is Ramsgate. Merry old England at the southern tip of Africa

Cheers

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Lovely along that Garden route especially at Hermanus right about now when the whales come into the bay for their annual frolic, was in the cages with Cheetahs at that wildlife pak at Outshorn up in the Klein Karoo, yes great country but you and I know about the violence down there with everybody legally packing pieces for protection and thats why hosting the world cup in SA is a concern.

We start the countdown to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa. Any chance of me watching Scotland in Durban up the road from me? Down here our biggest concern is the state of our national team, "Bafana Bafana" (Boys). 14 coaches in 14 years. Carlos Parreira, the Brazilian has got the job now. We stand at 79 in the FIFA rankings and half our overseas players are reluctant to come back to play in minor fixtures i.e. Malawi, Zambia etc. Our other concerns are the building of new stadiums to be completed on time and jacking up the transport system. Crime gets a lot of media attention but I am sure the South African security forces will throw a ring of steel around wherever is necessary.

And what a country to visit and watch some glorious soccer. All welcome. Let's hear your comments.

Hamba Kahle

Alan Butterworth

My name is Alan Butterworth from Margate in KwazuluNatal, South Africa. I was born in Inverness and even spent a year at the Royal Academy in 1970. My grandfather, Tommy Young played for Caley back in the 1920's. My dad, the late Dougie Butterworth was a lifelong "Jags" supporter and always looked out for their results wherever he was.

I would like to find out what you guys think of the World Cup coming to SA in 2010. We are very excited even though there are problems to sort out. Our national team is ranked 79 in the FIFA rankings and we have had 14 coaches in 14 years. Carlos Parreira, the Brazilian has now got the job. Most of our stars are playing overseas such as Benni Macarthur of Blackburn Rovers and Quentin Fortune of Bolton. Work has started on building all the new stadia and our transport system will have to be jacked up. Crime always hits the headlines but we hope the security forces do what is necessary.

But what a country to watch the best soccer on offer. And any chance of us seeing Scotland?

Lets hear your views on this one.

Hamba Kahle

Alan Butterworth

Hi alanb and welcome.

I think I knew your brother. Does he run adventure holidays in the Scottish borders?

I remember a Neil Butterworth in the IRA and there can't be many of them around.

Incidentally, does anyone here cringe at the mention of a "Butterworth Machine"??

And, alanb, are your ancestors guilty of such an invention?

Shouldn't this be on "Anything goes" . . . . . ?

Welcome Alan - think you will be the first pin on our 'member map' residing in Africa ... we have North America, UK, Ireland, Europe, Middle East, China, Japan and Australia and now Africa. Welcome aboard.

oh my!!!

you forgot CARR-BRIDGE scotty.... i dont know, ya just canna get the mods these days...  :004:

welcome sweeti, i'm here to keep your pecker up..... as it were!  :015:

here, we have branches in south africa babe.... i could head over to one of thier seminars, will you meet me and take me out for lunch?  :001:

Answers to queries.

My brother Neil lives in Cape Town.

Yes do come and drink some South African beers-they are cold and cheap. And while you are here watch the soccer. As I type this SA lead Zambia 1-0 in an African Champions league match. Hooray.