FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Missed opportunty?

TopSix

I've just read on the courier website that Celtic have produced vuvuzelas. Darren is quoted as saying ICTFC have no plans to sell them - yet the club isn't going to ban them! Why don't the club buy some red and blue ones in and get champions '10 printed up on them? I reckon, in bulk, you could probably get these for about 60p. Celtic are going to be selling them for ?5. Seems like a missed opportunity to me...

Edited by Top Six Next Year

First few games I thought they were going to ruin this World Cup for me. But I've got used to the noise and I quite like them. Especially when they are actually played, rather than just blasted. The crowd got some pretty good sounds going with them.

I so hope no one who sits by me has one. I think it would totally spoil the game. Give me singing any day.

:lol::lol::lol:

Aye but there's no singing! It would be impossible to ban them. The 2500 Celtic fans flout the rules about standing - how could the club stop them from using vuvuzelas? At least hopefully we won't be able to hear them singing their songs (hopefully)

I actually love the buzz the vuvuzela gives in a match, as more happens on the pitch the noise intensifies like a busy swarm of bees, but I do think to get this atmosphere reprocated at TCS you would need just about everyone buzzing them rather than a hundred or so breathless souls. But we will soon see, bet some Antwerp fans take some over, and I bet Rangers, Celtic and Dundee United ban away fans from having them as they will be offensive weapons in the hands of visiting support but not their own fans.

I so hope no one who sits by me has one. I think it would totally spoil the game. Give me singing any day.

:lol::lol::lol:

Aye but there's no singing! It would be impossible to ban them. The 2500 Celtic fans flout the rules about standing - how could the club stop them from using vuvuzelas? At least hopefully we won't be able to hear them singing their songs (hopefully)

have to admit that could be a fringe benefit!

Some on this site speak with forked tongue. One minute you blast the so called "sweettie rustlers" the next you want to ban the hooters! This bluddy stadium needs an atmosphere - let them hoot as much as and as loud as they want.: :lol::lol:

I have to agree they give atmopshere to a game and why just because some people dont like something should the majority not be allowed to do what they want. People on here say they spoil the game why. You use your eyes to watch a game of football not your ears. It's not like your going to a musical or play at the theatre is it. So why ban the hooters. Plus it would drown out some of the swearing you get from fans, so why are they bad because they are noisy. I thought being a supporter of a football team meant being vocal and creating an atmosphere to urge on your team. Not like the sweetie rustlers in the main stand just occassionally clapping and going good game good game.

If you can't take a plastic bottle into the ground for fear of it being used as a projectile, then allowing vuvuzelas would be a contradiction. Vuvuzelas are perfect throwing shape, weight, size. For that reason, I can't understand why any club would allow them. FIFA themselves said if one vuvuzela was thrown onto the pitch, they'd be banned outright. So, ergo, therefore - no vuvuzelas.

I seem to remember reading an article somewhere that following hundreds of complaints at the start of the World Cup that the BBC/ITV did something to the in-stadium and pitch-side microphones where the noise of vuvuzela was toned down?

The screech seems a lot less annoying now but i think its to do with technology rather than them being more bearable

The average human can make noise to around 70 dB (decibel)

The average plane taking off produces between 120 and 140 dB

The workplace limit for noise is 90 dB on a time weighted average of 8 hours.

Permanent hearing damage can occur at 85 dB

The vuvuzela produces 127 dB

That, for me, should be enough reason to have them banned. Why should I risk future disability from unwanted noise being blasted into my lugs. These things could force many fans away from football for the reasons I outline.

Added the following table which comes from the Health and Safety at Work Act regulations on noise in the workplace.

Continuous dB......Permissible Exposure Time

85 db............................8 hours

88 dB............................4 hours

91 db............................2 hours

94 db............................1 hour

97 db............................30 minutes

100 db..........................15 minutes

103 db..........................7.5 minutes

106 dB..........................3.75 min (< 4min)

109 dB..........................1.875 min (< 2min)

112 dB..........................0.9375 min (~1 min)

115 dB..........................0.46875 min (~30 sec)

Where would you fit the Vuvuzela into that? Note that each 3 decibel increase halves the time exposure. My calculations say around 1.87 sec.

Edited by Alex MacLeod
  • Disagree 1

Bugger it, bring on the Vuvuzela's!.. it's the only atmosphere Caley Park will have all season.

However, maybe, If people are so against them.. those who love to complain yet never do anything to change anything, may see the light and start a song now and again.. or perhaps even just cheer a bit more enthusiastically.

Edited by TheKarl

Alex MacLeod is dead on. The decibel count is well over 100.

There will be no sweetie rustlers at Tulloch if one gets in the door.

I use headphones wirelessly tuned to the volume control on the T.V. but to avoid permanent ear damage I have to turn down both the TV control plus that on the Earphones. And that spoils the whole enjoyment.

Proper menace as the not-so-old CB says so emphatically.