FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT Squad

Harry Chibber

Assuming we keep the same formation as we did last season... so far, this is our squad and the positions we have covered.

Goal Keepers

Ryan Esson, Jonny Tuffey, Max Johnson

Left Back

Stuart Golabek, Roy McBain, Graeme Shinnie

Right Back

Kevin McCann, David Proctor, Ross Tokely

Centre Back

Ross Tokely, Grant Munro, Chris Inness

Centre Mid

Russell Duncan, Lee Cox, Gavin Morrison, David Proctor, Roy McBain

Attacking Mid

Danny Sanchez, Gil Blumanshtein, Eric Odhiambo

Wingers

Richie Foran, Jonny Hayes, Gil Blumanshtein, Graeme Shinnie (going by friendlies), Nick Ross, Eric Odhiambo

Forwards

Adam Rooney, Shane Sutherland, Richie Foran, Eric Odhiambo, Gil Blumanshtein

From reading our preseason reports and interviews in the press, if we were to start the season tomorrow, I'd predict Terry's line up to be something like this:

Esson

McCann Tokely Munro Golly

Proctor Duncan

Hayes Blumanshtein Foran

Rooney

maybe changing Cox for either Proctor or McCann

I'd say we look very strong on the wing, in between the sticks and in the centre of the park with plenty of cover and some versatile players, McBain & Proctor, who can fill in at the back and out wide.

What we need

By the looks of things we are still very short at centre half and maybe a left back who can seriously challenge Golly [take his place in the starting 11]. Butcher has already stated he is out for players to fill those slots but I would be interested to know if another target man is being looked at incase of Rooney getting injured or is Tel happy with the progress of Sutherland.

For centre half, I'd be looking for a young 6ft something, 19-24 year old who can take advantage of the advice provided from our 3 golden oldies. Hopefully our Tel can pull another raw gem out on free transfer from his numerous contacts worldwide.

Left back.. not sure I need to say it again. First name is a shortened version of Robert and Surname is an Island off the west coast... get it?? maybees aye maybees naw

I've only seen Sutherland play once but was impressed with him, perhaps someone who has seem him more often can offer their opinion on whether they think he could deputise for Rooney. Best way of thinking about it(or not), if Rooney was injured tomorrow and crocked for the season (god no... touch wood) do you think Sutherland would be capable of scoring the goals to see us to safety?

IMO if we get these players sorted I will be very confident going into the new season and hope to be looking upwards rather than downwards.

• Agree 6

From reading our preseason reports and interviews in the press, if we were to start the season tomorrow, I'd predict Terry's line up to be something like this:

Esson

McCann Tokely Munro Golly

Proctor Duncan

Hayes Blumanshtein Foran

Rooney

maybe changing Cox for either Proctor or McCann

If we don't bring in an extra full-back, I think we could see Proctor and McCann in the full back positions, with Cox partnering Duncan in midfield.:024:

I think Terry will probably use the starting 11 that ended last season so strongly. Except Odi being replaced by Blumenshtein in the attacking midfielder role. A top quality left back, (I wouldnt argue with Harris) and we are going to have some squad this season IMO.

I also think that should Rooney get injured Gil would take the full forward position and let Odi and Sanchez fight to be the attacking midfielder. Sutherland could be quite good to take on with 15-20 minutes to go and maybe win the headers against the tired defenders

So many posters thinking Gil will start... has he even started a preseason game yet!? Eric has been prolific in the last few games, in addition to being first choice last season in a settled team. I'd imagine him or Sanchez will be picked before Gil at the moment.

I also think that should Rooney get injured Gil would take the full forward position and let Odi and Sanchez fight to be the attacking midfielder. Sutherland could be quite good to take on with 15-20 minutes to go and maybe win the headers against the tired defenders

I think Foran would be moved into the strikers postion, with Odi on the wing and Gil in the attacking midfield role.

Edited by mikeyboy

So many posters thinking Gil will start... has he even started a preseason game yet!? Eric has been prolific in the last few games,

Dean McDonald was also prolific in pre-season before one of our SPL campaigns !

Friendlies - and who starts them - means nothing. I probably wouldnt expect to see Terry's strongest team on the park until the games against Valladolid and Antwerp as these will be sterner tests ... right now its all about fitness and shaking out the cobwebs.

I would have thought Odi would get the nod too in midfield. He's proved his sharpness, Butcher likes him and I doubt either Gil or Sanchez are automatic picks yet. Gil probably best to come off the bench unless he starts showing some real fitness to last 90 minutes.

If he's got his fitness sorted then Gary Mackay Steven will hopefully be in there. That might hold C. Ross back but what can you do? It might mean a centre-forward though isn't as required. If Rooney or Sutherland don't hit in the goals, then it might mean Foran or Odi getting the chance up front with our abundance of attacking mids/wingers.

Left back.. not sure I need to say it again. First name is a shortened version of Robert and Surname is an Island off the west coast

Big step up for Bertie Eigg, left back for the Clansman in the Banff & MacDuff Turriff Packet Sunday League, surely? But, yeah a left-back could be a weakness. Golly's main negative is not supporting the left wing, so at least the biggest problem isn't losing goals down the left but not creating the chances going forward.

I can see us struggle early on in trying to adapt to the SPL again, where that lone striker will probably be marked out of the game by many of the teams. I expect us to shift our formation to something like 4-4-2. Maybe:

Esson

McCann - Tokely - Munro - Golly

Hayes - Duncan - Proctor - Foran

Gil - Rooney

Possibly swapping Gil and Foran, or maybe bringing in Mack Steven if he signs.

Left back.. not sure I need to say it again. First name is a shortened version of Robert and Surname is an Island off the west coast... get it??

Bob Harris is bound to be about 70 now. He done the Old Grey Whistle Test in the 70's.

The other Bob Harris is contracted to Queens till next may so would cost money. At 5' 8" he's probably one of the smallest defenders in football.

What I'm finding a little worrying (I've just found out) and no one on here seems to be talking about is talking, is that Foran, Hayes and Proctor are all carrying knee injurys and are not going down south for the Fleetwood game. Heres , hope these guys get over these injurys soon enough to get at least some pre season/fitness before the league starts.

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/12919/Five_players_to_miss_Caley_Thistle_s_Blackpool_road_trip.html

Edited by kiltarlity

I suspect the second striker we used last season (either Odihambo or Sanchez) might be dumped, in favour of playing Proctor, Duncan and Cox all at the same time to give us more solidity. In theory at least. But none of those trio are particularly good at getting forward and to be honest, I'd rather we gambled on the same attacking shape we had towards the end of last season.

Blumenshtein (or Blumanshtein, or Blumstein, or Bluemangroup, or however you spell it) is a bit of a wildcard - there is as much chance that he will be a waste of space as that he will become a legend. But I guess he can't be worse than Bajram Fetai...

Centre Back

Ross Tokely, Grant Munro, Chris Inness

Would just like to point out that Proctor can play ther aswel.

As can Golabek, along with Lee Cox being able to play at right back.

I think the squads nearly there, but it's not ready yet. A new, speedy left back is a must, along with a big centre back. I'm talking 6"3+ here who can really challenge Tokely and Munro for a place in the starting line up. I also reckon that a right winger could come in handy, along with perhaps another striker to partner Rooney. Then the squad will be complete.

The other Bob Harris is contracted to Queens till next may so would cost money. At 5' 8" he's probably one of the smallest defenders in football.

A couple of inches taller than Philipp Lahm and Roberto Carlos....

Good post from Harry - a centre-half, a striker, and most importantly, a left-back will leave our squad with a good balance.

A couple of inches taller than Philipp Lahm and Roberto Carlos....

Good post from Harry - a centre-half, a striker, and most importantly, a left-back will leave our squad with a good balance.

you know , who is going to play tomorow at the begining?

I'm ok with our centre-backs, as long as we resist the temptation to put Tokely back to the right. Maybe a young guy looking to learn from the experienced trio to challenge in a year or two's time. If we play the 4-2-3-1, then the attacking midfield depends a lot on Gil being up to it, as I doubt either Odi or Sanchez will be able to produce week in, week out.

That said, I still fancy us being able to take enough against St Cowdenbeath, Killie, St J and the Accies enough to avoid relegation (that's my target). Plus Aberdeen if they can't get any more quality players in (we wait and see).

I think top six is just out of our reach (Rangers and Celtic obviously will be there, I like the Hibs attack, Hearts have got some decent signings, Dundee United will still be there, as will 'Well) but very little between the bottom sides.

Once settled, I think our squad is of an age to develop, with only a few additions over the next couple of years. I think that's what clubs our size should do. Then maybe, a bit of luck, a find or two, maybe we can get a decent cup run, a big transfer fee or a top six. I'm pretty confident about the future as long as we don't panic, as I think we might struggle in the first few games as we adjust to the SPL.

• Agree 2

We've got a very strong midfield, and are very well endowed between the sticks. I remain to be fully convinced about the rest of it though.

With an on form Rooney we'll score enough goals, no worries, but if he doesn't rediscover last season's form, or gets injured, we are really back to the drawing board in terms of tactics.

The defence did well at First Division level. However, I thought we needed to be signing the new Dods this summer, but it appears there isn't one. There's a lot resting on the current guys, but the one thing we can count on from Grant and Rossco is total commitment, and that in itself will win quite a few vital tackles for us.

We've got a very strong midfield, and are very well endowed between the sticks. I remain to be fully convinced about the rest of it though.

With an on form Rooney we'll score enough goals, no worries, but if he doesn't rediscover last season's form, or gets injured, we are really back to the drawing board in terms of tactics.

The defence did well at First Division level. However, I thought we needed to be signing the new Dods this summer, but it appears there isn't one. There's a lot resting on the current guys, but the one thing we can count on from Grant and Rossco is total commitment, and that in itself will win quite a few vital tackles for us.

Are you on rather more intimate terms with our keepers than the rest of us? :_wink:

I'll get me coat.

• Agree 1

The two guys still on trial but with slight knocks look to me as if Tel wants them, as otherwise they would have been offski by now. MacKay Stevens is a very very talented guy, who has had a few injuries at the wrong time. Believe he would still be at Liverpool but for his time out. This can be his way back into top flight, closer to home, more settled, and a Terry said this guy could challenge Johnny Hayes for his spot. I know he has impressed the other players a lot in training aswell..

The defender from Newcastle might be the 22 year old back up we need, to learn his trade and push the centre backs for compitition. Other than that I think Terry will then only go for a loanee or someone who is too good to turn down.

Remember we also have a lot of very promising under 19s, two of which are internationals, two of which have also players the early friendlies. I can see Liam Polworth, Kyle White, Jack Sutherland, Tom Smith, Adam MacLeod and Martin Laing pushing for bench places with the others no far behind. Liam Polworth has graced each level he has played at, and I wouldnt be suprised if he breaks the youngest player record for the first team - as he is still 15 i think til sometime before Xmas. Of those 19s named thats 2 defenders, 2 midfielders a winger and an out and out striker, who has been described as the most naturally talented striker to have come through the youth system so far. I would not be worried at any of those guys been in the team with the established guys around them. Tom Smith is a very able and calm left back, Jack centre half, Martin the red haired lad in centre mid who has played a good few friendlies, Liam is a younger build that looks like his dad, Kyle and Adam can both play as strikers, with Kyle more used in Forans place on the left wing - and he is quick by the way.

• Agree 2