FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scottish Cup

DJS

The significance of this draw will be lost on a lot of the post-merger fans but pre-merger Elgin vs. Caley was THE HIghland League rivalry. Forget the modern day County tussles this was the real deal.

Would expect a healthy dose of fairmers to turn out for this game for old times' sake.

Just a pity it's not at BB - now taht would have been an old school day out.

Could do with giving them a right horsing and hope that we don't play a weakened side for this one.

Edited by ymip

It really is great to finally meet them in a competitive fixture.

Being from Elgin myself (sshhh...) I've already had texts/facebook messages from various Elginites saying they are going to make the trip through. I still think 1000 away fans is a bit hopeful, given the time of year/weather, but here's hoping some sensible pricing will bring a large crowd. Do kids still get in free for the 4th round Scottish Cup games??

Perhaps BBC Alba will want to screen this game live (or as live)?

Edited by RossP

Cool draw....Elgin WERE Caleys biggest Rivals in the Highland league days. Not that they ever came close to emulating the MIGHTY Caledonian Fc....their main claim to fame was reaching the Scottish Cup Quarter Finals (I think)

And...I dont have my kids that weekend...so i should make it to the game :twothumbsup:

Odds on ICT lifting trophy have been slashed from 50/1 to 33/1 with the exception of victor chandler who are still at 50:1.

The odds on Elgin went from 1,000/1 to 1,000,000/1.

That made me laugh! Shurely the bookies must have stopped taking bets on them.

When ICT were formed I was too young to really know much about the history of Caley and Thistle but obviously knew there was a rivalry there along with Ross County and heard of the Caley - Elgin rivalry as well. However I don't know why was there one in the first place? Was it simply geography or were the two fighting it out at the top of the league each season?

Back in the 1960s and 1970s any Inverness team versus Elgin City was an intense rivalry. A lot more so than Ross County. Playing Elgin was the big match of the season because at this time Egin were one of the best teams around in the Highland League along with Caley and Thistle, so games were always close and tight affairs.

I think the intense rivalry between Inverness and Elgin stemmed from Secondary School football and other school sports through the 60s and 70s where Elgin Academy were always desperate to beat Inverness schools. The games and sports against them had a hard edge to them. Again they and the Inverness schools dominated football and sports in the Highlands so any games or meetings between them were close and hard fought.

Elgin fans were also very proud that in those days Elgin was classified as a city while Inverness was still classified as a town something they took pleasure in reminding us. I always had the impression that Elgin people had a chip on their shoulder when it came to dealing with people from Inverness.

Good to see the Elgin Sh1tty fan view us as Rivals.......even tho they have no history with ICT and they languish near the bottom of the crappest league in Scottish Senior football and we are in the top league...MUPPETS....i hope we run up a cricket score against them and put them in their place :ictscarf: :ictscarf:

Edited by SMEE

Always great rivals!!

Elgin City:- : 14 times Highland League Champions,

Highland League Cup Winners - 5 times (from nine finals),

Scottish Qualifying Cup Winners - 7 times (from 15 finals)

North of Scotland Cup Winners - 17 times (from 26 final appearances).

Caley:---

Highland League - 17 wins

Qualifying Cup (North) - 13 wins

North of Scotland Cup - 20 wins

Highland League Cup - 5 wins

Edited by neksor

I this our first game against them in any competition?

I think so if you mean "major" competitions (ie - league, Scottish Cup, League Cup, Challenge Cup etc.) but they may have faced ICT before in some of the lesser things (Inverness Cup, North of Scotland Cup and all that lot). Not 100% sure though.

I this our first game against them in any competition?

I think so if you mean "major" competitions (ie - league, Scottish Cup, League Cup, Challenge Cup etc.) but they may have faced ICT before in some of the lesser things (Inverness Cup, North of Scotland Cup and all that lot). Not 100% sure though.

We've faced you in the North of Scotland cup final, but it was a youth team that Caley put out that day, so we could probably discount that. This will be the first meeting between the two clubs in a national competition.

Early records were vague but I think it was shown in recent times that Caley had actually won 18 league titles.

Interesting that one or two ECFC fans are wittering on about how they might have the majority of the support. Maybe they're using the Ross County accountancy model, except that they're including bollocks and nipples as well as eyes.