FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The ICT Managers Job

Renegade

The other thread about ICT's nearly signed players earlier got me thinking, besides ICT's actual managers, who has actually been offered the managers job but turned it down over the years? According to Duncan Shearer's book, he was offered the job when it became clear that Paterson was off to Aberdeen. Ally McCoist was offered the job and turned it down due to family reasons and Donald Park turned it down, cause he preferred to be assistant (I might also be right in saying also that he turned it down more than once). Are there any others over the years that people can think of? Was Warnock ever offered the job outright or was that just merely speculation? Was Owen Coyle ever physically offered it? What about Archie Knox? Any others anyone can think of?

I dont think Warnock was ever offered it ... that was PR spin that got both parties into the newspapers which was what both wanted at the time ! I remember Archie Knox being mentioned but not sure if he was ever offered it and there was also talk of Colin Hendry at one point but the same applies.

I think Owen Coyle would have done well here and I do rate him as a manager but the more I think about it, the more I think Terry is almost perfect for this job.

With only a few exceptions for managers who are good wherever they go I think managers have to be a good fit for any job they go into and a crap manager at one club might be excellent at another depending on the setup, in the same way as a player might be ... You could argue that this applies to Terry. He was good at 'Well but not so much elsewhere until he came to ICT. (I know. Another factor could also be Mo as he was at Well with him but not elsewhere until they teamed up again at ICT)

Terry's exuberance, PR and people skills and obvious motivational skills coupled with the respect he garners from his playing days and the rapport he has developed with fans and players alike fosters the cameraderie that many pundits were talking about at the weekend. A few of them said that this seemed to be the difference between ICT as a lower end of the table team to one which hasnt lost an away league match for over a year. That comment struck a chord with me as it was something that was evident in the Pele and Robbo days but not so much in the Brewster era .....

Regardless of who may or may not have been offered it in the past, I am delighted with the current incumbent !!!

• Agree 1

Archie Knox and Chris Sutton were both interviewed for the job when TB got it.

I'm pretty sure that Sutton was interviewed and the board then thought he wasn't experienced enough to keep the club up. Knox was also interviewed but didn't fancy moving so far north IIRC. He may or may not have been offered the job, I'm not quite sure.

Also on the subject of Coyle, I recollect reading a while ago that he turned down a "number" of SPL job while at St. Johnstone. I think it's safe to say that ICT were probably one of those clubs.

ICT also "approached" Malpas and Paul Hegarty to be the new management team in 2004.