FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Pitch Inspection 4:30pm Game Off

CaleyD

Well just back from a 40 mile round trip for nothing. Had to leave at 5pm despite no result of the pitch inspection aso my son has to be at TCS by 6pm to sell programmes. I know if its not playable its not playable but an earlier decision would have saved a lot of hassle to a lot of folk. We dont all live in Sneck and theres the away lot to consider as well.

Have we turned into a nation of football wimps? not long ago we played Partick up here in a cup replay and it was much worse than the weather today- and it was played.

Would'nt mind hearing what Tommy Cumming has to say about this!

Its the curse of the SPL rules i.e Undersoil Heating. Back in the day they could 'Deep Spike' the pitch - water dissapears into sand below - Game On -------------except that partick game it was more like water polo in a paddling pool

well it could be worse... at least folk had a chance to turn back look at the county game last night that was called off after 66 mins. that would be much worse in my eyes as they have the whole thing to go through again

Well just back from a 40 mile round trip for nothing. Had to leave at 5pm despite no result of the pitch inspection aso my son has to be at TCS by 6pm to sell programmes. I know if its not playable its not playable but an earlier decision would have saved a lot of hassle to a lot of folk. We dont all live in Sneck and theres the away lot to consider as well.

Have just updated the story on the main site with details, but basically, the club asked for an early inspection but the SPL said it couldn be done as we have no grade 1 officials in Inverness.

http://caleythistleonline.com/3486-tonights-match-postponed

Dont see whats wrong with getting whoever the top qualified ref in Inverness is to have a look !!!

So much for the drainage system doon TCS....i have to say....I have seen games go ahead in much worse condition when we were in the lower leagues. Im suprised, as the rain wasnt even that heavy today. I can only assume it takes a lot less for a game to be called off at SPL level

Eye witness report or your information. Round about 5pm today, I watched one of the longest and most thorough inspections I have ever seen in football where the match referee performed just about every test he could on the pitch - again and again. In particular he bounced the ball repeatedly on a quite extensive area around the edge of the North Stand penalty box and again and again the ball gave one weak bounce as it threw up fountains of water and then stopped dead. The rest of the pitch wasn't too bad but there was a significant area in the North half of it which was very wet indeed.

Make no mistake about it, the referee did not take that decision lightly and appeared to repeat various tests of running, bouncing the ball and passing very frequently before he gave his verdict after about 20 minutes of examination.

It is my understanding that Caley Thistle first requested the inspection before lunch time. I did not detect any dissent when the decision was made at around 5:15.

I can only speculate as to how keen the SPL (who insisted that this fixture DIDN'T go ahead on December 4th) were to get this game cleared last night, given that Dundee United have only played 20 matches.

Also there is, anecdotally, the impression that the drainage on the TCS pitch is not as good as it was before the undersoil heating was installed. This, of course, means in addition that the pitch cannot be rolled with long spikes to create drainage channels for surface water since the spikes would burst the USH pipes.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

What to hell's going on down there ?? Hardly enough rain to cancel the game surely . Coincidence that we have injured and suspended players ?

So amongst your many other talents, being able to pass a pitch you haven't even seen, are you now a qualified referee??

• Agree 2

Have just updated the story on the main site with details, but basically, the club asked for an early inspection but the SPL said it couldn be done as we have no grade 1 officials in Inverness.

http://caleythistleonline.com/3486-tonights-match-postponed

Dont see whats wrong with getting whoever the top qualified ref in Inverness is to have a look !!!

Thanks Scotty for that. As usual the SPL seem oblivious to the needs of fans. As usual rules are rules as far as the SPL is concerned. Out of interest anyone know where the nearest grade 1 official to Inverness is based?

well the weather for me to get home tonight was appalling and that the pitch i dont know it was to dark when i finally was able to leave the a9 after sitting there for an hour after a crash just before the longman roundabout i was in inverness all it was heavy enough to postpone it but there u go highly disappointed but cant be helped

well it could be worse... at least folk had a chance to turn back look at the county game last night that was called off after 66 mins. that would be much worse in my eyes as they have the whole thing to go through again

Nah, meant my coupon came in, Queens might still have won but I'll take the money thanks!

Long way back in for the horses pulling the caravan team bus though.

So, basically than, a Grade 1 referee can bounce a ball better than any other referee? :yellowcard:

They're specially trained doncha know?!

Guest Mahonio

According to sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/inverness/225357-inverness-caley-vs-dundee-united-called-off/ the game is likely to be played on either 5th or 6th April due to United having a lot of games between now and then.

In particular he bounced the ball repeatedly on a quite extensive area around the edge of the North Stand penalty box and again and again the ball gave one weak bounce as it threw up fountains of water and then stopped dead. The rest of the pitch wasn't too bad but there was a significant area in the North half of it which was very wet indeed.

This spot must be where the aquifer crosses the pitch I presume? :cool:

A bit of a farce that we had to wait until the back of 5 for the game to be called off. You'd think there was someone closer to Inverness that could do it. And even save the match ref the jouney if unplayable.

But we all know how Scootish football, especially the SPL, works.... it doesn't.