FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

No Place for Ryan in weakened Scotland Squad

Row S

What a disgrace that Levein has ignored the fantastic form of Ryan Essson and opted instead for two keepers who have spent most of the season either injured or on loan to a lower league team.

The full Scotland squad for the matches against Wales and Republic of Ireland on 25 and 29 May is as follows: -

Goalkeepers: Matt Gilks (Blackpool), Allan McGregor (Rangers), Iain Turner (Everton)

Defenders: Phil Bardsley (Sunderland), Christophe Berra (Wolves), Gary Caldwell (Wigan Athletic), Stephen Crainey (Blackpool), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Steven Whittaker (Rangers), Danny Wilson (Liverpool)

Midfielders: Charlie Adam (Blackpool), Barry Bannan (Aston Villa), Scott Brown (Celtic), Kris Commons (Celtic), James Forrest (Celtic), James McArthur (Wigan Athletic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Barry Robson (Middlesbrough)

Forwards: Craig Mackail-Smith (Peterborough), Chris Maguire (Aberdeen), Ross McCormack (Leeds United), Kenny Miller (Bursaspor), Steven Naismith (Rangers)

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

Sadly as good as Esson has been this season, his oppertunities to play for Scotland have passed I think, if Gordon & Bell had been fit they would both be in there along with MacGregor. Gilks gets the nod (not sure why other than he is in the Prem (for now) and Turner is obviously seen as one for the future potentially. Add in Langfield then Esson is probably vying for #6 or 7 in the call up list at best - whether we agree thats a true reflection or not.

Sadly as good as Esson has been this season, his oppertunities to play for Scotland have passed I think, if Gordon & Bell had been fit they would both be in there along with MacGregor. Gilks gets the nod (not sure why other than he is in the Prem (for now) and Turner is obviously seen as one for the future potentially. Add in Langfield then Esson is probably vying for #6 or 7 in the call up list at best - whether we agree thats a true reflection or not.

Gilks is younger than Esson and has played 17 games in the best league in the world this season. He has to get in there before Esson. Turner has also played 19 league games in the Championship this season. The only thing keeping Esson out these days is there are younger keepers who have great potential and that is what you always look for in a 3rd choice keeper.

Gilks is younger than Esson and has played 17 games in the best league in the world this season. He has to get in there before Esson. Turner has also played 19 league games in the Championship this season. The only thing keeping Esson out these days is there are younger keepers who have great potential and that is what you always look for in a 3rd choice keeper.

any one like me making the trip over?

you could also add Nick Ross into this debate...

There's not one of those midfielders you would take out the squad for Nick Ross I'm afraid, he's a great talent but needs more nurturing and games to progress further. The boy also needs to bulk up a wee bit to make it at International level. The only one I could see would to leave out would be Barry Bannan but then he has Premiership experience and also is a different kind of player, he is in the squad for the balance.

Give Nick another two years and if he keeps on progressing the way he is then he'll be a stick on for the squad, it's just too early yet, let him play some more U21 games.

As for Esson he's really unfortunate other keepers play in better leagues although I would have had him in instead of Turner, as a goalkeeper your prime is round about his age as he is showing now. Look at Jim Leighton, lost his place in the squad for years and came back into the fold in his mid 30s if my memory is correct around about the same time Goram was at his best.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Gilks would've played more but suffered a really bad knee injury that sidelined him for a while, he's a great keepr. We all know how good Esson is but unless he joins the old firm or a championship team he will never get international notice - end of.

And for the record i dont think Esson's time has passed, players like Robson have established themselves in the national squad late in their careers. No reason Ryan cant but it wont happen here.

:rotflmao:

yeah laugh it up fuzzball

too many "know it alls" on this board

and a few " know feck alls " like you .

why should nick ross not be included? levein has allready said our main aim is the 2014 world cup and by that time nick will have nurtured into a good player hopefully. why not introduce him to the setup now like goodwillie macquire or bannan?? if you ask me any 19 year old that has played 50 games for his club deserves recognition

• Agree 1

:rotflmao:

yeah laugh it up fuzzball

too many "know it alls" on this board

and a few " know feck alls " like you .

why should nick ross not be included? levein has allready said our main aim is the 2014 world cup and by that time nick will have nurtured into a good player hopefully. why not introduce him to the setup now like goodwillie macquire or bannan?? if you ask me any 19 year old that has played 50 games for his club deserves recognition

I think that Nicky Ross will be a future Inverness CT captain! He's got a good future ahead of him and he should be nearing a Scotland call up but I feel as if Craig isn't interested in what ICT have to offer....

• Agree 1

It's hardly a surprise that Esson didn't get called into the squad. Hard for any Scotland manager to look above the central belt. It comes with the territory unfortunately (not saying it's right). Also Im sure many other teams could ask why their players didn't make it. Jamie Murphy at Well, Craig Bryson at Killie, etc.

The biggest surpise for me in the continued exclusion of David Goodwillie. Yes I know he has an impending serious sexual assault case hanging over his head, but it hasn't affected his form, and I would have thought innocent until proven guilty would apply in all walks of life.

Young Gregg Wylde has impressed of late and it would have been interesting to see him. It is also a shame Mark Wilson at Celtic is injured (or getting an op?) as he's been very good.

Is Snodgrass injured? I would have thought he'd be a shoe in.