FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Deadline set for contract renewals.....

Libero

Terry has set a deadline of the 31st of May for players who have been offered new deals to decide by. Really glad to hear this so that we can get a full squad together and have a full pre-season together. Waiting until the transfer deadline day to finalise the squad is not a good way to go

Out of contract Caley Thistle players have one week to decide whether to stay with the Scottish Premier League club.

New terms have been offered to nine of the first team squad, whose contracts expire at the end of the month.

Manager Terry Butcher wants to know their plans by 31st March.

I have assumed that the Courier article is a typo and its May rather than March!

Story here: http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Caley-Thistle-set-deadline-for-out-of-contract-stars-24052012.htm

Well it would be a risk either way but is this not a move from tradition which again tends to suggest background unrest although it could also show that lessons have been learned from the debacle of the last pre season - or probably both. It certainly puts a fair degree of pressure on the players looking at alternatives as there is no way that they will have things sorted out by that date elsewhere. However the wording does not exactly suggests a club deadline it merely states that Terry wants to know their plans - and again that simply sounds like good planning.

probably the best thing to do is a hard line stance of either your signing another contract or bugger off, this is maybe targeted to Hayes than anyone else i'd imagine, seen as the only concrete offer he's had is from Terry if anyone else was that fussed they'd have got him on a pre-contract already.

we support the team all season and it seems as if we're always left hanging to find out if we have a full squad for the next campaign or not! good on the club for drawing a line in the sand and forcing the hand of stalling players!

I don't think for one moment that Terry is going to refuse a deal to the likes of Hayes on the 2nd June if we don't have someone else in place. Looks more to me like Terry is saying "If you haven't decided by 31st May then I am going to look elsewhere and if I find a replacement then tough"....which I think is the right way to go.

For too long players/agents have held the "power" when it comes to these kind of things and it's good to see that we're taking some action to try and reverse that trend.

• Agree 2

Dont blame him for doing this, the likes of Duff really dragged it out last year in terms contract talks and it probably had a direct affect on how buisness was conducted. If players adhere to the deadline then it gives Tel a firm idea of who stays and who needs replaced. He like us would probably like buisness conducted quickly so he can get the new players bedded into the team.

It's a funny one. Butcher said the other week that he'd discuss the new deal with Jones after he was back from his holiday. That might be a month away for all we know!

Yet another example of negativity from you. For all we know, Butcher may still be dealing with this while on holiday, be back from holiday or be back in time for the deadline. Another non story.

Theres more on that article in todays Courier.

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Make-your-mind-up-time-for-ICT-and-Ross-County-players-24052012.htm

It's no just us that has to cope with this. Every team in the country have the same issues.

Tade.............hard neck if you ask me. Thinking about other options..........he's having a laff is'nt he?

Good on TB, numerous complaints from myself included that things were not sorted out early enough last season. He needs to know in good time who is committed for next season and if there are not have time to find replacements

Im all for the deadline. As others have stated, for all too long, players have had the odds stacked in their favours, keeping clubs in limbo....while the players size up other options. I only want commited plyers at ICT....not hounds for the pounds types....regardless of who it may be

This was evidently instigated when it became apparent that our current squad was going to be decimated and that we have to start thinking about how we are going to replace them. As for Tudor-Jones I suspect that TB is asking more about his intentions more than anything. I still think that the "management / selection etc." last season has had an influence on some decisions - which makes the stand against Tokely and the release of some of the yoof more difficult to understand.

Theres more on that article in todays Courier.

http://www.inverness...rs-24052012.htm

It's no just us that has to cope with this. Every team in the country have the same issues.

Tade.............hard neck if you ask me. Thinking about other options..........he's having a laff is'nt he?

Reading that article is Ian Vigurs out of contract? Interesting :wink:

I think most will sign the deals, with the bigger question marks over Hayes, Tokely and Tade. I think if Sutherland is played through the middle he can replace Tade. Tokelys ICT experience is unreplicable but there will be good defenders out there surely.

Hayes will be a big loss. Be hard to replace without money which we dont have. The clubs lack of foresight on him last summer has probably cost us this summer. If a player who has been good for 2 season comes to his final 12 months then give him a further 12 months with relegation release clauses. It at least means we might get some tranfer cash if he wants to leave. But being out of contract makes a player think about other options.

What, you rate Tokely now? When did that happen? If you'd had your way, he'd have been gone two seasons ago.

Well you have slightly misquoted me there. I have actually raised doubts for the last three seasons in regard to Rosscoe's ability to stay the pace in the SPL, especially as a full back - and I also admit that I was just as unsure about his ability to play as a central defender, as I suspect many others did. But I have also stressed on more ocassions about his saviour performances in certain individual matches and his total committment to the club. If he had gone two seasons ago I dont feel that there would have been such an uproar. But he has simply epitomised the fighting spirit required, has extended his legend status and has even endeared himself more to the fans. At a time that we are going through major change Tokely is the type of character / influence that you need at this club. I admit, as I have alluded to in another thread, that I continue to have my doubts about his stayability but he deserves to be given the chance to stake his claim anyway. And if he has played his last game then he has actually been treated in a more deplorable manner than Munro.

• Agree 1

What, you rate Tokely now? When did that happen? If you'd had your way, he'd have been gone two seasons ago.

Well you have slightly misquoted me there. I have actually raised doubts for the last three seasons in regard to Rosscoe's ability to stay the pace in the SPL, especially as a full back - and I also admit that I was just as unsure about his ability to play as a central defender, as I suspect many others did. But I have also stressed on more ocassions about his saviour performances in certain individual matches and his total committment to the club. If he had gone two seasons ago I dont feel that there would have been such an uproar. But he has simply epitomised the fighting spirit required, has extended his legend status and has even endeared himself more to the fans. At a time that we are going through major change Tokely is the type of character / influence that you need at this club. I admit, as I have alluded to in another thread, that I continue to have my doubts about his stayability but he deserves to be given the chance to stake his claim anyway. And if he has played his last game then he has actually been treated in a more deplorable manner than Munro.

Until I read your last sentence, my pointer was hovering over the "like this post" button.

I'd like to see Tokely staying, but I can see why he wouldn't if the terms don't suit, and he thinks he has more to offer and thinks some other club may want him....though I'd be sorry to see him go. I hope for his sake, he is right about another club wanting him.

I do think a measure of continuity in a team is important, and continuity isn't, imo, just keeping the nucleus of a team signed last year together, but holding on to at least one someone who knows what "playing for the jersey" means and has the ability to impart that to the incomers. (Though I still don't really understand why anybody getting paid to do a job should have to be told that the job needs to be done to the best of their ability....isn't that what being paid is all about?)

If you can explain what you mean by And if he has played his last game then he has actually been treated in a more deplorable manner than Munro. I may yet go back and like your post....for the first.....and possibly the last time ever.

My inference was that the "announcement" of the the Grant Munro departure - which was more of a "shock" in respect of tactical planning - was at least publicised well in advance and allowed Munro to say his "goodbyes" to the support in a civilised and personal manner. Mr Munro also did not therefore need to express his concerns in the media. Mr Butcher even provided a "statement" that suggested that Mr Munro was no longer part of his plans, he was "thanked" and a "message" of good fortune.

If what has been written is correct then this appears to have practically have come to the fore on the eve of the last game of the season. Again from what is written, my interpretation is that this is not about money and it is not about Tokely asking for the reassurance of a first team place - Tokely clearly states that he wishes to train and earn his right to a regular starting place. Again, my interpretation is that Tokely has been advised that he is not in the plans to be considered for a starting place but will be utilised as a stand by squad player.

It really surprised me that Rosscoe was so verbal via the media, which to me suggests that his "version" of events is correct and he is attempting to show the fans that there is a dragonian regime in place at the TCS - and if he goes then he goes "fighting". Unfortunately this act of "treason" has probably condemned him.

I used the more emotive "deplorable" adjective as the manner in which this act has been carried out appears to be reprehensible, condemnable, lamentable,sad and contrary to conscience or moral.

My inference was that the "announcement" of the the Grant Munro departure - which was more of a "shock" in respect of tactical planning - was at least publicised well in advance and allowed Munro to say his "goodbyes" to the support in a civilised and personal manner. Mr Munro also did not therefore need to express his concerns in the media. Mr Butcher even provided a "statement" that suggested that Mr Munro was no longer part of his plans, he was "thanked" and a "message" of good fortune.

If what has been written is correct then this appears to have practically have come to the fore on the eve of the last game of the season. Again from what is written, my interpretation is that this is not about money and it is not about Tokely asking for the reassurance of a first team place - Tokely clearly states that he wishes to train and earn his right to a regular starting place. Again, my interpretation is that Tokely has been advised that he is not in the plans to be considered for a starting place but will be utilised as a stand by squad player.

It really surprised me that Rosscoe was so verbal via the media, which to me suggests that his "version" of events is correct and he is attempting to show the fans that there is a dragonian regime in place at the TCS - and if he goes then he goes "fighting". Unfortunately this act of "treason" has probably condemned him.

I used the more emotive "deplorable" adjective as the manner in which this act has been carried out appears to be reprehensible, condemnable, lamentable,sad and contrary to conscience or moral.

I can see the point made in your first paragraph and the first sentence of your second, though I don't necessarily agree with it...as you interpret differently from me....but you have explained your thinking, for which I thank you, and will like your previous post, because I do agree with the rest of it.

I don't completely disagree with the rest of your post......but every player in a team is a stand-by player really aren't they? If a player cost a million, cost £20,000 weekly in wages, but is playing badly enough to affect the results and has a bad attitude, would he still be an automatic shoo-in for a start?

Seems to me that if Tokely trains and earns his right to a regular starting place, even if he has to prove it from the bench initially, would any manager refuse to play him? Seems to me that, if that was what Butcher said, then it was a stupid thing for any team manager to say...and Butcher hasn't struck me as being that stupid.

If Butcher was, given the financial straitjacket, going to give contracts to players who are not even going to be considered for a starting place, then he is wasting the club's scarce resources. We can sign players who won't be considered for a starting place but would fill a hole in an emergency a lot more cheaply by taking in the best from the youth system, or even signing back some of our previous rejects playing for Highland League Teams.

Afraid I read At my age, I'm not wanting to be on the bench, or a squad player." as wanting a guarantee of a first team start....and don't interpret it as him having been told he is not even being considered for a first team start...but if you have a link to anything he has said which gives credence to your interpretation, please link to it.

Age should not be a barrier until it affects your speed/skill/output/ performance, but, equally, long and meritorious service should not demand a loyalty premium not allowed to other players with less service, and who may be as good if not better. Everybody in a squad is considered for a starting place.....only eleven at any time will ever get it.

Edited by Oddquine

Thank you kindly - and only one last "quote" from Mr Tokely. Perhaps I have misunderstood its content - could you or anyone else allay my apprehensions by providing an alternative "meaning" ?

"I don't think I have the divine right to start every week but I should definitely get the chance to do that and if not then I'll look to get out and play somewhere else."

Thank you kindly - and only one last "quote" from Mr Tokely. Perhaps I have misunderstood its content - could you or anyone else allay my apprehensions by providing an alternative "meaning" ?

"I don't think I have the divine right to start every week but I should definitely get the chance to do that and if not then I'll look to get out and play somewhere else."

So he had been discussing his future with Butcher before the end of the season...as the first reports of the interview were before the Hibs game and I assume before he received any formal offer? Has there been anything since? Has he refused the offer?

According to the HN on 17th May -

http://www.highland-news.co.uk/Sport/Football/Inverness-Caley-Thistle/Tokely-deal-in-balance-7903792.htm

ROSS Tokely has thrown his Caley Thistle future into doubt by revealing that the club's conditions within a new one-year deal are "very disappointing".

The Inverness CT legend, who has played nearly 600 games for the club, spoke exclusively to the HN about the offer on the table but admitted he could walk away.

He said: "I am happy that I earned a new deal for my 17th season, but I am very disappointed with the offer - it is not what I am looking for or expected.

"I have got to look after myself and make the right decision for my family. I will be in more discussions with the gaffer, but I am unsure whether we can come to an agreement."

The player added that, despite his comments, he has respect for the club and is keen to find a way forward.

So, if he had categorically been told before season end that he is not in the plans to be considered for a starting place but will be utilised as a stand by squad player.... why have we not heard he has left? And what is he still negotiating? (or was at that time)

If Butcher was, given the financial straitjacket, going to give contracts to players who are not even going to be considered for a starting place, then he is wasting the club's scarce resources. We can sign players who won't be considered for a starting place but would fill a hole in an emergency a lot more cheaply by taking in the best from the youth system, or even signing back some of our previous rejects playing for Highland League Teams.

Butchers track record at the club so far indicates he wouldn't go for the youth players - but will take youth players from elsewhere though. e.g. Josh Meekings.

Butcher would never ever sign one of his 'rejects', Even out of contract Ian Vigurs.

Unfortunately he has brought players to the club that have sat on the bench, albet most of them were loanees. Winnal, Chippendale to name two.

We're not exactly in the market for taking in players who are in their prime and playing well from these clubs though....so what choice do we have but to take a look at youngsters? Surely it's better we do that in the hope of unearthing someone with a bit of talent, someone who is going to be out there trying to prove themselves than signing end of the road journeymen who are after little more than a final pay cheque who are due to bow out of the game and may see themselves as having nothing to prove or reason to give everything?

What's more, everyone holds Tokely up as the poster boy for signing local talent and how that equates to someone out there "playing for the shirt" or whatever. He actually proves the opposite. Born in Aberdeen and a self-confessed, dyed-in-the-wool Hearts fan who's commitment and passion for his career club cannot be faulted would suggest that when it comes to "playing for the shirt" then being born within some kind of mythical magic circle emanating from the centre spot at TCS is not a pre-requisite.

Even those kind of players clearly have their limits (and rightly so), otherwise ICT's most passionate and committed player of all time would not be running to the press with stories of how he wants more money and a better deal....so it can't all be about "playing for the shirt", regardless of how much we might like to believe such fairytales.

Oddquine - He doesnt want to feckin leave. He is making a stance and that is probably sppoking a lot of people. He CARES for the future of ICT.

CaleyD - your basically anti - Tokely rant defies a response. You dont have to be a born and bred Invernessian - it is your sevice, loyalty and committment to the club that counts. Tokely is an ICT Legend - full stop. He is "running" to the press to hopefully enlighten a lot of rose tinted glass wearers to what is actually going on. He IS NOT saying that he wants more money or a better deal - he wants to be given the chance to play fer his feckin place.

Oddquine - He doesnt want to feckin leave. He is making a stance and that is probably sppoking a lot of people. He CARES for the future of ICT.

CaleyD - your basically anti - Tokely rant defies a response. You dont have to be a born and bred Invernessian - it is your sevice, loyalty and committment to the club that counts. Tokely is an ICT Legend - full stop. He is "running" to the press to hopefully enlighten a lot of rose tinted glass wearers to what is actually going on. He IS NOT saying that he wants more money or a better deal - he wants to be given the chance to play fer his feckin place.

I didn't say he does want to leave, did I? Or that he doesn't care for ICT. But I fail to understand what you mean by He is making a stance and that is probably sppoking a lot of people. What stance is he making..and who is he spooking?

CaleyD actually held Tokely up as a good example of it NOT being necessary to be a born and bred Invernessian to have the club at heart, and said that his commitment and passion for his career club cannot be faulted...and, until I had a look at his stats a couple of weeks ago, I certainly wasn't aware he wasn't fairly local.

I do rather think that you are on the verge of electing Tokely to the sainthood. Just what is actually going on bar a 33 year old man who plays football has been told he has a place in the ICT squad in the SPL for next season if he wants it? And, to date, he hasn't said that he doesn't want it. Nowhere have I read anything I can interpret as he will not have a chance to play for his place....though he may well have been told he will have to play for his place, and not expect it as a reward for loyalty.

It would appear that we do not have a queue of players wishing to resign by TB's deadline. I would suggest that this shows a possible unrest within the dressing room! Do we know if anyone is talking to the players in question, or is it take it or leave it.(Full Stop). WE will need all God's help next season if we don't start negotiating with these guys. Amicable agreements are what we require.