FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Sky TV: a what if scenario

Libero

Would you drop Sky if they use the Rangers debacle to shaft the SPL?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. If the rumours come true that Sky will offer pittance for a new SPL TV deal withou Rangers or even withdraw their covergae, will you drop your Sky sports pacakge?

• Yes
    • No

With the majority of SPL clubs eager to listen to fans opinions and it looks more and more likely 'The Rangers' newco will be denied direct entry into the SPL. The Sky TV deal is going to be a huge factor in how clubs deal with any loss of income arising from rangers not being in the league

Now if all the rumours that Sky will pull out or offer a greatly reduced deal if Rangers are not in the SPL comes to pass will people on here continue their sky sports subscriptions or cancel?

Simple poll to gauge opinion but feel free to add comments

Personally I think I wouldnt but that is only because i use Sky for the EPL, golf etc. However if i were subscribing to an additional channel like ESPN then it would be dropped immediately

• Agree 1

I wouldn't as I use mine mainly for EPL, Champions League, NFL etc.

ICT don't feature that often on Sky and most of the games from the SPL I have no interest in seeing aside from the OF and the Edinburgh Derby.

I don't subscribe to Sky Sports for SPL football, more for general viewing....however, as a point of principle I'd drop it from the package.

I appreciate that SKY are a commercial operation, but they hold the key that can unlock the current dilemma and allow Clubs/Chairman to make decisions on the basis of sporting integrity alone. The only reason SKY would not be offering that security is because they stand to achieve most (financially) from a Rangers NewCo being allowed into the SPL.

As I've stated in other threads I will be turning my back on football therefore I wont be watching any. My view is that if cheating and law breaking are seen to go pretty much unpunished, and if football clubs are prepared to support the lack of punishment, then this game is not worth my support. It is written that the game in Scotland is finished without Rangers. If thats the case then so be it. The founder members of the SPL let it happen. They all tried to buy some form of success and they all have been close to liquidation. If they've now allowed themselves to have to be dependant on TV alone then they have sat back and allowed the game in Scotland to die.

As an aside maybe the SPL leaders should be out drumming up business from other TV companies. BBC, ITV, Virgin, ESPN, BT, Eurosport etc. Sky is not the only crowd out there.

• Agree 4

Lets face it, Sky weren't around a few years ago to pump money into football, we lived without them then so, in my view, we can live without them again. Having said that, I don't think they will pull out but the contract would change with no so much money being handed over. They do broadcast Irish football and, I believe, they still cover some Conference games down here in England.

I believe sky will be showing Scottish football next year with or without rangers but even if they are able to get out of their contract somebody else will take it up as there is still a product to be sold.

What would be the general response to the sky group if they did pull the plug on Scottish football as other countries/regional broadcasters have contracts with sky that are still active. How will Uefa view sky's involvement if this is actually a real story.

People in Scotland cancelling sky packages at a time when money is tight is only to do with whether Rangers are in the SPL or not - I don't think so.

What's all this alledgedly from sky about one season without Rangers would be ok. Are the first seeds being planted to try and force the SFL to accept them into Division 1 with Dundee taking the step up?

Not from Sky...........invented by the Daily Rubbish

What's all this alledgedly from sky about one season without Rangers would be ok. Are the first seeds being planted to try and force the SFL to accept them into Division 1 with Dundee taking the step up?

I think the whole Sky rumor is just part of a campain by the Daily Record to bully people into taking Rangers back in and they also want Smith and McCoist in the driving seat.

Basically the Daily Ranger is cra**ing it's self about maybe not having this club to write constant stuff about so they float the Sky scare story. In the same way they have this other huge story saying that McCoist will be off within 48 hours which also happens to coinside with Smith saying he wants to buy the club from Green. Then things get smoothed over with McCoist and Green and its seems hes staying.

The Record who's sales are plunging in Scotland are up to the armpits in self interest in this one. So should this poll maybe not be about whether people will continue to buy Ranger's biggest supporter the Daily Record? (If anyone on here does in the first place of course!)

• Agree 1

You mean you don't believe all these stories that have been attributed to "a Sky insider" or "a Sky source"? wink.gif

No, simply because it wouldnt make business sense. Sky are reported to have around a million subscribers in Scotland. They also have indirect customers who subscribe through cable and freeview. So they rake in up to £100 million a month. They dont want to lose custom.