FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Deadline Day activity

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

Do you guys think we will sign anybody before tomorrows deadline?

After reading this article (http://www.teamtalk.com/scottish-premier/8454430/Butcher-looking-for-more-players?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter), i think we can maybe expect some activity but wouldn't be too disappointed if we didn't sign anybody.

To be honest, i think its more important that we hold onto our current squad with no one leaving before 2300 tomorrow :).

Edited by Mahonio

I would rather we held onto current squad than hear of any signings.

If we sign someone who isn't a loan or a player under the age of 21 then its usually a pre-cursor to the news that someone has left .....

Incredible! At first I thought you were joking or got the wrong Niculae, but now aged 31 he has indeed got a deal there until the end of next season, at the where club he made a name for himself about 10 years ago.

He's certainly been scoring a lot of goals in Romania, but I can't help thinking that bringing back for a former star is something that often placates the fans rather than improves the team. Good luck to him though, and I do like the idea that Sporting Lisbon take our cast-offs.

• Agree 1

Incidentally, Bucarest had sold Marius to another Romanian club, Vaslui, for £250,000.  The reason I ask is that back in 2008 many fans here were going ballistic that our board didn't get a sell on clause.

If we had insisted on a cash + sell-on deal with Bucarest, the cash amount would have been less than we got for a straight cash sale. That's just the way it works. How much less, we'll never know.

But all we'd have got in return would have been, what 10% of the £250,000? Paid 5 years later? And cross-border sell-on clauses are also troublesome when it comes actually trying to collect the sell-on payment at all.

With hindsight I would say the straight cash deal was the better option.

It's been on my mind since 2008. :lol:

Marius Niculae in transfer controversy shocker!

From BBC transfer deadline day page:

"It looks like Sporting might not be able to re-sign Marius Niculae after all. Niculae has already played for two clubs this season, having turned out for Dinamo Bucharest in the Romanian Super Cup before joining Vaslui. The maximum number of clubs FIFA allows a player to be registered with in one July to June period is two."

Marius Niculae in transfer controversy shocker!

From BBC transfer deadline day page:

"It looks like Sporting might not be able to re-sign Marius Niculae after all. Niculae has already played for two clubs this season, having turned out for Dinamo Bucharest in the Romanian Super Cup before joining Vaslui. The maximum number of clubs FIFA allows a player to be registered with in one July to June period is two."

If that's the only game he played in, I'd imagine there's a good chance of FIFA giving permission for the transfer....getting paperwork complete in time might prove problematic with the added complication though.

Kris Boyd in the highlands??? Anyone else hear this

Not going to happen. Wouldn't suit our style of play and we can't afford his wages anyway.

Its more likely he will be looking at playing for a Championship or top half League 1 side.

Kris Boyd in the highlands??? Anyone else hear this

Not going to happen. Wouldn't suit our style of play and we can't afford his wages anyway.

He said the Highlands, not Inverness.....!

This is what I meant as well and there is only one other full time club up here and I would doubt they could afford him either. It didn't needed to be said.

I would doubt they could afford him either.

Suppose it depends on whether Roy is prepared to personally fund any deal? With the league being so tight, whats to say having a proven scorer like Boyd if he was on form couldnt get a team into the Euro qualification places come end of season.

I would think central belt clubs would suit him best, but he has a rep for being a mercenary for money so who knows.........