FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Brill or Esson?

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

When Ryan Esson gets back to full fitness from injury then Oor Tel has a dilemma, does he stick with Brill in goal or does he changeit and put Esson back in, what do you guys reckon?

I would stick with Brill as he's played 2 league games and not conceded a single goal and has also sounded impressive going by the matchday threads, i know its tough on Ryan but his chance will come.

Esson is deemed #1 by TB, even last year when Rugero was keeper for our run up to 2nd in the league he was dropped. If there was any doubt about Esson being first choice Rugero may have stayed this season, as it is we have another keeper on loan who is doing a good job, but when fit Esson will be back.

Brill is definitely my first choice, I find him a better keeper than Esson IMO. The only problem I have with him is that he takes so many risks when the ball is passed back to him, but it may just be confidence just like we saw today. He took some time whilst Goodwillie was running at him and then when he is literally 2 yards away Brill pulls his shorts up then picks the ball up just in time! Confidence or skill?

Brill is definitely my first choice, I find him a better keeper than Esson IMO. The only problem I have with him is that he takes so many risks when the ball is passed back to him, but it may just be confidence just like we saw today. He took some time whilst Goodwillie was running at him and then when he is literally 2 yards away Brill pulls his shorts up then picks the ball up just in time! Confidence or skill?

Think it's confidence tbh but I'm not so sure it's a good tactic. My heart was in my mouth several times as he dribbled round strikers! Worked a treat tho.

Esson is deemed #1 by TB, even last year when Rugero was keeper for our run up to 2nd in the league he was dropped. If there was any doubt about Esson being first choice Rugero may have stayed this season, as it is we have another keeper on loan who is doing a good job, but when fit Esson will be back.

I don't think Butcher knows who is number one keeper is. He might have thought it was Esson but with injuries seeming to continue to be an issue and the good start with Brill between the sticks he will likely change his mind.

Last season, Reguero was dropped after the penalty shoot out defeat to Hearts having previously kept his place when Esson had returned to fitness.

In all competitions (League, League Cup and Scottish Cup) Esson played started 18 games and Reguero started 27.

Is Esson injured, or dropped? If injured, presumably not too badly as he is fit enough to be on the bench. I don't think Brill has been really tested yet, but you can't argue with 3 clean sheets in a row (including Charlton). However, unless his loan period is extended, Brill is only with us until January so presumably Esson will have to regain his place before then so that he is match fit for the second half of the season.

I can't help feeling that, even last season, Esson was a bit hard done by to lose his no. 1 spot, so I can't imagine how his confidence is this year for it to be happening again.

Great to have the choice but I like what I've seen of Brill , I felt it was pure confidence yesterday when he pulled up his shorts .He certainly helped to make it the brilliant spectacle it turned out to be....along with the extra man ( the bird) fans were exceptional too especially young ones and the drum added to the atmosphere .......Keep Brill In !!!!!

Brill is man in possession at the mo, and unless he makes mistakes, don't see why it should change.

My first look at him yesterday, and was encouraged by his size,confidence, and more importantly, his vocal presence. Was constantly shouting and organising, very impressed. Still feel he has to be fully tested, but signs are promising

Esson has had a knock for the last few weeks so isnt match fit. For me i would stick with brill. He has being good so far and hasn't done anything wrong to be dropped. I must admit he is alot better at kicking the ball than esson.

• Agree 1

I begin to think that it was a very very clever move to get Brill on loan until January. He has time to prove that he's up to the task in the SPFL, and if he succeeds Tel can try and give him a two and a half year contract. Should he turn out to be crap, which I don't believe now, another one could be taken in.

Esson started pre-season as number 1 and due to injury Brill has been given his chance.  He's taken the chance well and does not deserve to be dropped.  It's now up to Esson to win his place back IMO.

BTW - just for the record I am very big fan of Esson.

We're pretty luck to have 2 good keepers.  Many other teams in the SPL are not so lucky - c*unty for example!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

He's probably the best keeper we've ever had for dealing with high balls into the box.  That's an area where even our best ever keepers (Jim Calder, Mark Brown etc.) struggled.

For me, Brill for now.

• Agree 1