FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Birmingham Away

Listened to the commentary from Birmingham City. The commentators were reasonably impressed with the passing game from ICT, but on more than one occasion stated we could do nothing with it up front. End of Pre season and we have already been sussed out. I hope Foran is fighting fit soon.

One of the 110 just back. Sat with Wyness101 on the plane to Edinburgh and most of the ICT squad were on it too.

Puzzled why we never played our strongest 11 at the start, Doran made such a difference when he came on. A bit desperate when a raw laddie like Christie is our most creative player.

A good day out but a poor game and pitying people having to drive up the road.

Still trying to get over £2.90 for a meat & potato pie which was about as hot as a nuclear reactor and £4.70 for a pint at Brum airport.....

• Agree 1

I MIGHT put a match report on tomorrow but today was DIRE and I am seriously worried about this season. Even OFF the park was subdued as - IMHO - that was the WORST Caley Jags Away performance in a long time. Brill and Tremarco are simply NOT good enuff - our first half tippy tappy play was TERRIBLE. Shinnie was wasted, Christie was wasted and poor Billy was TOTALLY ISOLATED. In the second half we went more positive - we scored and then we went NEGATIVE.

We were wholly NEGATIVE - I was planning Hamilton and Well but I am going to (sorry) save my money and see if there is an improvement.

Just got back to sunny Berkshire.  Not really, apparently there was rain here too today.

Not very impressed with our performance today.  I really fear for us this season with our new style of 'tippy tappy' football.  Yes, we had lots of possession in midfield, and at the back, but we have simply no idea how to convert it into chances up front,  We were a bit better second half with Tansey and Doran on, but bar a few minutes near the end, I never thought we looked like scoring.  And, of course, our 'tippy tappy' at the back inevitably leads to the odd mistake and we lose goals.  Birmingham had no more than four chances today, and scored three.  All from mistakes, first by Tremarco, second by Brill, and I couldn't see who messed up for the penalty.

I'd much rather us play with wingers and give them a chance to get a few crosses in.  I can't see Mckay scoring many/ (some might say 'any') this season without service from the flanks. I have never seen him so ineffective as today.  Did he touch the ball more than a few times in all the game?

But, nevertheless, a good day out for one of my few 'home' games of the season.

bit disappointing to hear we don't appear to be  progressing with the tippy tappy football, will be interesting to hear from Caley D who thought that the team were progressing with this style (can't remember which friendly) and that Russel and Yogi were not concerned by the lack of goals as it was going the right way, wonder if thats still the case.

bit disappointing to hear we don't appear to be  progressing with the tippy tappy football, will be interesting to hear from Caley D who thought that the team were progressing with this style (can't remember which friendly) and that Russel and Yogi were not concerned by the lack of goals as it was going the right way, wonder if thats still the 

bit disappointing to hear we don't appear to be  progressing with the tippy tappy football, will be interesting to hear from Caley D who thought that the team were progressing with this style (can't remember which friendly) and that Russel and Yogi were not concerned by the lack of goals as it was going the right way, wonder if thats still the case.

It will almost certainly still be the line that Caley D will take.

Birmingham had not conceded in any friendly this season. They were home. According to the Herald, the result flattered them. 

We will have our best team available out next Saturday so can be judged then. To me we have a very difficult start in the SPFL so I hope we get some of the negativity out of the way by 5 pm next Saturday. 

In the rare occasion where I had a chance to get home from a game before any other ICT supporter I totally screwed it up! I think the Media team were over the border before I got out of the pub!! What a great day despite the result. Apart from the usual suspects, I met up with Eagle4Caley, Caley Mad in Berk, a chap from Lossiemouth and a lady from Watford (CaleyHornet!!). A truly brilliant day.

As for the game....I'm not convinced we will do very well this season judging on this display. Yes, we had loads of possession and it looked mostly pretty but we didn't do anything with it. Its all very well playing the possession game and passing football but the idea is to score goals, which we never really looked like doing. B'ham just sat back and soaked up the non threatening football. We are still making silly mistakes at the back and two of the goals were self inflicted wounds. Deano could maybe have done better with the first and, it has to be said, the second. The pre season hasn't really set the pulses racing according to reports from our other friendlies. But, as I've said before, pre season is all about getting fit for the main event but its also about finding that settled system and I don't think we've found the later. Hamilton next week will give a better indication as to how this season will pan out. As a newly promoted club they will be well up for it just like they were a few seasons ago when they got promoted. The beat us 0-1 at home in their first game. The signs are there that this will be a struggle this season - I hope not of course, but that's the way I see it. We have no cutting edge or creativity in the side. We're slack at defending and make too many silly mistakes. Based on this performance we may struggle to make top six this season. As I say, I hope I am wrong. See you in Hamilton next week....come on ICT, prove me wrong.

Well here I am in the sober light of a new dawn and I am afraid that my angry impression post match has changed little. I am not going to bother with the smileys as they would have been paltry and Shinnie and Tansey would have been the only two who may have sneaked 3/5. I take it that Brill has been told not to kick the ball out. To be fair there would be little point as McKay is the only one to aim for and Watkins is not much use in the air. But that just cries out fer the option of the big man up front.

So instead we were treated to 90 minutes of the ball being rolled out and 7-8 passes across the back line. Our back four tried to stroll about like Beckanbauers and the final pass was usually to a retreating midfielder. And we made four big mistakes doing that and were lucky not to have conceded more. Our defence also was very square and that is crazy against pacy forwards. There was one moment late in the second half when Shinnie must have been in 30 yards of space hugging the touch line, steaming fer the ball, and guess what.

We had five players across the middle and I couldn't make out what formation that they were playing in. At times it appeared that they were attempting to be interchangeable and it didn't work. At times it was embarrassing. Shure wee Christie,, Ross and company displayed some fine touches but never looked like playing a killer ball. Tansey may well have not abided by orders becos he at least put his foot on the ball and looked around to seek out forward movement.

And what have we done to Billy McKay. Where has his movement gone ? The old saying of the centre half having him in his pocket was spot on. Every time he got the ball one of the big centre backs was towering over him. It was not much of a surprise that our goal came from a dead ball position. And in the end we could have sneaked a draw and then came another reminder of last season. The simple ball through the middle of our standing defence and a goalie who has no pace leaving himself in no one land.

I presume the tactic is to lull teams out but we are talking about Scotland and not the humidity of Spain or South America. We will get murdered at Parkhead and most other away grounds. I was hoping to see more width but got congestion. If I was boss of Hamilton I would have sussed us out by now. I was looking at optional systems and again was disappointed. We may well not concede many but I can envisage a lot of 0-0, 0-1 this season with the occasional hammering.

Let's hope that I am wrong. What I have just written was the feeling of many yesterday. please correct me otherwise. The only fan that took positives out of yesterday must have highly tinted spectacles.

• Agree 2

Hopefully the more used to passing the ball the players (especially the defence) get, the less silly mistakes they should make as they should become more composed on the ball.

Understand where you are coming from and admire your positivity but ball players are usually naturals and ball playing defenders are rare. What we have are good defenders who are not adept at passing. What I was hoping for was to be no nonsense at the back - akin to Yogi when he was playing - and try to make the most of ball players like Tansey, Christie and Doran, play with width and sharpness. Let the defenders defend.

• Agree 2

I was sat with CaleyMad and pretty much echo his thoughts, and those of others...first half our line-up didn't really work at all going forward, although we looked quite comfortable defensively bar two mistakes for Brum goals. I thought Doran, Tansy and Vincent coming on made a difference and brought Christie in the game more...Doran actually looks quite a threat and if he pushes on this season could be crucial as will Christie getting more and more game time.....I'm a bit surprised to see Vincent operating on the wing as he did in the second half

Which brings me to Watkins, who didn't seem to be in the game much, although some nice flicks....I feel he must contribute more for us to have a good season....and poor old Billy, so isolated yesterday (and much of last season)...just hope the plan is that Christie plays more often, up front, to give him some support

In some respects 3-1 did flatter BCFC given the number of actual chances they created and that we had so nearly equalised just before the penalty!

btw I thought Lewis Horan (trialist) looked a decent replacement for Raven when the latter had to go off early, and it would be good to sign him up

Great to meet up with CaleyMad and Gringo (and Mrs Gringo) ...and bumping into Zoid (and Mrs Zoid) at half-time

• Agree 1

Well here I am in the sober light of a new dawn and I am afraid that my angry impression post match has changed little. I am not going to bother with the smileys as they would have been paltry and Shinnie and Tansey would have been the only two who may have sneaked 3/5. I take it that Brill has been told not to kick the ball out. To be fair there would be little point as McKay is the only one to aim for and Watkins is not much use in the air. But that just cries out fer the option of the big man up front.

So instead we were treated to 90 minutes of the ball being rolled out and 7-8 passes across the back line. Our back four tried to stroll about like Beckanbauers and the final pass was usually to a retreating midfielder. And we made four big mistakes doing that and were lucky not to have conceded more. Our defence also was very square and that is crazy against pacy forwards. There was one moment late in the second half when Shinnie must have been in 30 yards of space hugging the touch line, steaming fer the ball, and guess what.

We had five players across the middle and I couldn't make out what formation that they were playing in. At times it appeared that they were attempting to be interchangeable and it didn't work. At times it was embarrassing. Shure wee Christie,, Ross and company displayed some fine touches but never looked like playing a killer ball. Tansey may well have not abided by orders becos he at least put his foot on the ball and looked around to seek out forward movement.

And what have we done to Billy McKay. Where has his movement gone ? The old saying of the centre half having him in his pocket was spot on. Every time he got the ball one of the big centre backs was towering over him. It was not much of a surprise that our goal came from a dead ball position. And in the end we could have sneaked a draw and then came another reminder of last season. The simple ball through the middle of our standing defence and a goalie who has no pace leaving himself in no one land.

I presume the tactic is to lull teams out but we are talking about Scotland and not the humidity of Spain or South America. We will get murdered at Parkhead and most other away grounds. I was hoping to see more width but got congestion. If I was boss of Hamilton I would have sussed us out by now. I was looking at optional systems and again was disappointed. We may well not concede many but I can envisage a lot of 0-0, 0-1 this season with the occasional hammering.

Let's hope that I am wrong. What I have just written was the feeling of many yesterday. please correct me otherwise. The only fan that took positives out of yesterday must have highly tinted spectacles.

Sounds like an identical playing pattern to the Fleetwood match except this time we paid for the mistakes at the back. Frustrating to watch as you know the inevitable error will come and why the reluctance for wide play in the final third? Is it just a case of thoroughly good square pegs but never going to fit in round holes?

• Agree 1

Yip - There is nothing wrong with the system it is just that we don't have the players to fit in to it. Yogi is beginning to get as rigid as Butcher. Personally I would like to play a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1. My big worry yesterday was how McKay was played. Has that been the same all pre season. He was almost played like a traditional centre forward and there was little evidence of him running the line or going wide, pulling the central defenders and allowing midfielders to utilise the gaps. That would be ideal for Christie and others.

• Agree 1

I always thought defenders defend apart from overlapping fullbacks midfielders create and forwards score simple game.I fear we are in for horrible season

Unlike others, I'm not going to write off the team or our prospects for the season ahead before a ball has even been kicked in the league.

I still have faith in what Yogi is doing and the players ability to execute it.

Yesterdays game was a worthwhile and important exercise...both in terms of identifying where we have stuff nailed down and where we still need to do a bit of work. The important thing is what players and coaches do with the information gleened.

I Believe.

On the evidence of pre-season, we have traded width, pace and counter-attacking - which brought us our best results last season - for tippy-tappy football with no punch.  Don't blame the players, blame the tactician who is playing them out of position.

I certainly ain't writing off our chances. I am however concerned that we do not possess the players to execute the apparent favoured system. Hopefully what the players and coaches did gleem from yesterday is that we have to consider doing a bit of change work. Pre seasons are all about experimenting and learning so let's hope we see the "fruits" next Saturday.

• Agree 1