FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

PAY WHAT YOU WANT - ST JOHNSTONE 20TH JANUARY

CELTIC1CALEY3

The thing is about this game, the team really need to be on top form to get new spectators in the ground to come again.  Approaching the game in the same way we did against County should do this.  "Taking the sting out of the game" and "Only wanting to win 1-0" attitudes Hughes sometimes takes won't encourage any potential new fans to come back whether we win or not.

Might be a good idea to try and cut out some of the more cringey aspects of the matchday experience as well.  For a start maybe leaving that awful sandwich mascot at home and maybe getting the announcer to stop doing that dreadful, cringe-inducing "Make some noise for the Caley boys!" would be a good idea.

The club aren't working on the pretence that this initiative, in and of itself, is going to add any significant number of fans to future matches.

What it will do is provide them with information to use when making decisions on other initiatives they are considering.

You forever hear about how football is pricing itself to death and that it's too expensive....but does the evidence support those claims?

ICTFC have not increased prices in the last 4 seasons, so if you factor in inflation, it's actually cheaper to go to our games today than it was 4 years ago. Inflation from 2010 until now is about 17%.  If you argue that price is directly connected to crowd sizes, then why haven't we seen that reflected in the numbers coming through the turnstiles?

You then have cup games which are generally a good bit cheaper, but where crowd size doesn't increase proportionate to that reduction in pricing....sometimes crowds are even lower than an average league match.

The "Pay What You Can" initiative will give the club (at least) two very important pieces of information....

- Firstly, it will tell them whether or not removing the "cost" factor actually encourages more people to comes along....i.e. what is the potential size of the clubs customer base beyond those already coming to games.

- Secondly, it lets them know how much that potential customer base may be willing to pay.

You then have cup games which are generally a good bit cheaper, but where crowd size doesn't increase proportionate to that reduction in pricing....sometimes crowds are even lower than an average league match.

League attendances are inflated by season ticket holders.

Sorry, you'll need to expand on that as I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Are you suggesting Season Ticket holders don't attend Cup games?

This is a great initiative but a major factor outside of price is probably the weather and temperature on a freezing night in January. If that keeps people from coming I hope it doesn't mean that the initiative is judged to have failed, since the results on a warm night in April would be very different. I'd like to see a scheme where you can buy a block of 3 or 5 consecutive matches at a discount, encouraging people to try a run of games, rather than a one-off.

Sorry, you'll need to expand on that as I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Are you suggesting Season Ticket holders don't attend Cup games?

I take it that Alex is referring to the fact that the official attendance includes all season ticket holders whether they attend the game or not.  This is on the basis that having paid for their season ticket they are deemed to have bought a ticket for the match.  Season ticket holders will only be included in the figures for a cup game if they buy a ticket for that specific game.  It would be interesting to know how many league games the average season ticket holder fails to attend.

In addition to the usual percentage of season ticket holders who don't attend the average game, there are no doubt some season ticket holders will decide to give the early round cup matches a miss because it means paying a bit more.  Both these factors will lead to reduced gates. 

It always surprises me that crowds at early round cup games seem to be so poor these days.  I am one of those who thinks that there is something special about cup football and I have always made more of an effort to get to cup games than league games.  I guess I am in the minority!

From an actuarial point of view (in regards to looking at ticket prices) then whether or not a Season Ticket holder is in attendance is irrelevant as it's a "ticket sold" for that game.

The owner of a Season Ticket has already made the decision that the average price per game they are paying falls within what they are willing to pay to attend games.

As that average price per game falls in line with, or is less, than what is charged for cup matches (certainly earlier rounds) then if they are choosing not to attend these matches it doesn't leave much room to argue that they are doing so because they feel it is too expensive.

Well an incentive to turn up should be that if we win on Sat against DUtd then we could go 2nd with a win over st j or if Dundee beat the dons again we might even go top......after 23 games to be in either spot would be phenomenal.

That's a reason to turn out at least

• Agree 1

Quite a frost enveloping Inverness - after penetratingly cold overnight temperatures. No sign of any improvement forecast for at least a few days. Currently -6 C on my car's thermometer. (at 10.15am)

Any idea what condition the pitch is in? Must be a question mark over this game going ahead?

Regardless, as temperatures plunge after dark, it'll be well-below freezing tomorrow night! It's bound to put many folk off attending - despite the offer.

As much as I'd like us to 'show up' Dundee United by getting the game on, It's no fun sitting immobile in sub-zero conditions for 2 hours. I hope it's postponed but with the offer still being in place for the re-arranged game.

Yes, I can't help feeling that, if the game goes ahead, the adverse weather will scupper any benefit that this bold venture might have produced. A great pity, as it would have been good to see if the initiative had a positive effect on attendance.  However, ICT must have known when they announced the trial several weeks ago that the weather in third week of January could have a detrimental effect. Perhaps  it should be tried again, but much earlier, next season.

Temperature's are expected to pick up a little with temperature hovering around freezing tomorrow night.  Assuming the pitch is currently covered there shouldn't be a problem.  As for the comfort of fans, it is the wind and wet that really chills.  Winds should be light and it should be dry so as long as folk wrap up they should be cozy enough.  Should be a good evening for a game of football - if people are going to use the weather as an excuse not to go to a game where they are able to pay only as much as they want, then I suspect they are not destined to become regular attenders.

• Agree 1

... and jump about.

And there, in a nutshell, is why people have deserted Scottish football. Jammed into ridiculously small pails with the only jumping being done by hi-viz no-marks on their weekly outing to planet Powertrip.

Don't miss it if I'm honest. #bringbackterracing. (I have no idea what putting a hashtag in front of a nice wee slogan does but it must be something like a Santa wish-list.)

• Agree 1

Just a wee reminder of 3 things that those attending the game can do to help avoid queues/delays at the turnstiles...

1.  Come down this afternoon or tomorrow during the day (if you're able) and purchase your ticket/s in advance.

2.  Arrive in good time for the game...especially if you intend paying at the gate.

3.  Have whatever you intend to pay ready for when you get to the turnstiles.

I have not been in Inverness for a couple of weeks but I am assuming that the commercial department have the town well leafleted with posters in shop windows and the like broadcasting this initiative.

Even in this day and age, there are an awful lot of people who get their information the old fashioned way rather than through social media an the like.

Good effort from the club , I'd reckon a crowd of 3500 ish would be a decent turnout considering the time of the game and the quality of opposition .

Changed my mind on this and now reckon a crowd of 2500 will be a decent turnout . Why on earth this fixture was chosen for the experiment is beyond me as IMHO it will tell us nothing that we don't already know ie the public in Inverness won't turn out in numbers on a cold Tuesday night to watch ICT v Perth even if you opened the gates and let folk in for free !

Good effort from the club , I'd reckon a crowd of 3500 ish would be a decent turnout considering the time of the game and the quality of opposition .

Changed my mind on this and now reckon a crowd of 2500 will be a decent turnout . Why on earth this fixture was chosen for the experiment is beyond me as IMHO it will tell us nothing that we don't already know ie the public in Inverness won't turn out in numbers on a cold Tuesday night to watch ICT v Perth even if you opened the gates and let folk in for free !

See posts #29 through #34.  In terms of the "experiment", and what can be gleaned from it, the choice of game does not matter so long as you have a previously similar one with which to compare the data against.  In terms of managing the financial risk for the club and delivering a benefit to fans of reducing their outlay during January.

What's more, you could argue that using a game that falls at the least desirable time provides more info. After all, if you can attract extra punters along at that time, then you know it will also pay off for games played at more desirable times.  The same could not be said if you did it the other way round.

Surely to get maximum publicity the banner should have been hung in the high street and not in the quietest area of town ?

More people pass that banner location than in any other (available) advertising spot in the city centre.